PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Deer Hunting When its Warm

Tbar
09-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Going this weekend and its supposed to be quite warm. Anything a guy should be considering as a result? My biggest concern (aside from not seeing a deer) is meat spoilage. Any tips?

jaylow?
09-27-2010, 02:19 PM
if its too warm and you cant hang it , you gotta at least quarter it (or de-bone) wrap it and get it on some ice. we take cheap rubber maid totes and grab like 6 bags of ice. if you dont wrap the meat the ice will drain the parts of the meat white and then its not fit to eat. if you drain the water and keep the meat nice and cool it can sit there for at least a few days with no problems. good luck with your hunt.

whitetail Junkie
09-27-2010, 02:27 PM
Going this weekend and its supposed to be quite warm. Anything a guy should be considering as a result? My biggest concern (aside from not seeing a deer) is meat spoilage. Any tips?

hunt area's around creeks

Okotokian
09-27-2010, 03:07 PM
I can't imagine everyone has a walk-in cooler in their garage or takes their game to the butcher... What do you do with regard to hanging the meat when it's pretty warm out, like now? LAst year my deer was small enough (crying) that I managed to ram it into the freezer and just froze the whole thing. Thawed and butchered it later. I assume that isn't the optimal method, but what do you do when it's +10 or 15?

BigJon
09-27-2010, 03:29 PM
when it's 10 - 12 celsius during the day I am not to concerned as long as it is cool at night...(down to 0 or a couple below).....just make sure it is kept in the shade and inspect for flies hanging around...another option is to bring coolers with pre-frozen milk jugs (filled with water). I have seen some old chest freezers that have been converted to cooler units that I may take on as a winter project...

good luck!

Tuc
09-27-2010, 05:42 PM
Deer are resiliant.... tear the hide off, cut it down the middle, (or 1/4's if you like) wrap it in a tarp or game bag and hang in shade.

If your near a river or creek you could cool it down with water too.

shayne
09-27-2010, 05:56 PM
I don't usually worry unless it gets over 20c, like this past weekend and the one coming up. I then quarter, debone and use a medium sized deep freeze with a power plant and fire it up in the afternoons for a couple hours. I hunt out of a cargo trailer though so space isn't a problem for me. I don't freeze it, just keep it dry and cold. Works like a damn! First time I pulled it out of the trailer, my buddies wouldn't get off my back. The next day it was 30c and they were all very apologetic and the ones that weren't were driving home with their hat in hand.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

stinkynuts
09-27-2010, 09:10 PM
To me the key thing here is pre planing liek some of the guys stated be fore you leave call around maybe you can find out if bucher shops will cool your meat for you maybe you might have to pay a few bucks but its better than rotten meat or ya take lots of coolers with lots of ice if you cant get back to town to cool your meat or if you know you will be by a nice cold creek just take lots of big plastic bags and put your meat in the creek and cool it down but as i say the key is planning we as hunters take all the time to plan our hunts just take 5 mins more and plan for a kill and what to do with the meat just some thoughts of mine i hope you find it use full

BigRackLover
09-27-2010, 10:02 PM
To me the key thing here is pre planing liek some of the guys stated be fore you leave call around maybe you can find out if bucher shops will cool your meat for you maybe you might have to pay a few bucks but its better than rotten meat or ya take lots of coolers with lots of ice if you cant get back to town to cool your meat or if you know you will be by a nice cold creek just take lots of big plastic bags and put your meat in the creek and cool it down but as i say the key is planning we as hunters take all the time to plan our hunts just take 5 mins more and plan for a kill and what to do with the meat just some thoughts of mine i hope you find it use full

or you can use your fridge:

http://members.shaw.ca/gord.nuttall/pics/fridgedeer.jpg

As far as animals moving in the heat ... my trail cams still report deer moving so get our there and try!

Tbar
09-28-2010, 12:31 PM
All great ideas...thanks guys. We decided to be prepared to at the very least quarter it up and have some frozen water bottles and rubber maids. Should give us the time we need to properly prep it for the freezer. Altough I think my wife may kill me if I set up a fridge for beer and deer like that....I might just give it a try :sHa_shakeshout: