PDA

View Full Version : life lesson 136. river crossings

40inchtwister
09-28-2010, 09:42 AM
went hunting friday night drove across ankle deep river to sheep hunting spot. come off the mountain got to pickup drove down to river to find it rose up 4-5 feet in 36 hours. spend night in truck next morning river still raging so we packed up all our gear almost died crossing the river hoofed it out to a very kind outfitters camp who gave us a ride back in town.

Arn?Narn.
09-28-2010, 09:45 AM
was back there yesterday... meltoff is just crazy...

Let me know if ya need a hand going in to get the truck out.

Mike

Whitetail77
09-28-2010, 10:04 AM
Something similar happened to my uncles about 10 years ago. They pack food for an army when they go hunting and were stranded accross a raging river for 5 days. They thought it was funnier than hell, but my aunts didn't. Smiles turned to frowns when they had to cross back with the argo. They made it......eventually.

albertadeer
09-28-2010, 03:38 PM
went hunting friday night drove across ankle deep river to sheep hunting spot. come off the mountain got to pickup drove down to river to find it rose up 4-5 feet in 36 hours. spend night in truck next morning river still raging so we packed up all our gear almost died crossing the river hoofed it out to a very kind outfitters camp who gave us a ride back in town.

I take it you where south of town....yep pretty freaking crazy how high all the water is around here...wapiti exploded over night...

Okotokian
09-28-2010, 03:43 PM
I did a 26 km hike a couple months ago with 5 water crossings each way. Not as bad sounding as the one you speak of, but even a knee-high fast current can have you vulnerable. After that experience I picked up a couple trekking poles. Collapsible, can thrown them in a pack. Makes it much easier to cross moving water (or hike uphill or under heavy loads too).

40inchtwister
09-29-2010, 08:40 AM
I take it you where south of town....yep pretty freaking crazy how high all the water is around here...wapiti exploded over night...

yep! so if anyones is down there this week and could tell me when the water has calmed down a bit that would be great!! i would like my truck back

Dark Wing
09-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Pretty scary stuff. Just heard about one man drowning and one missing in the Sulpher river just South of GC. Three brothers from Edson were out either hunting or hiking and tried crossing when the tragedy occured. My condolences go out to their family.

Grizzly Adams
09-30-2010, 05:59 PM
Was in Sundre this morning. The big Red is up and muddy. Not the usual for this time of the year.

Grizz

fordtruckin
09-30-2010, 09:48 PM
always be prepaired I guess. Glad nobody was hurt!

40inchtwister
10-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Headed out tonight to get my truck hopefully the river is down enough. ill grab my camera and post some pics when i get back i got some dandies of the whole river ordeal plus bad luck sheep hunt

40inchtwister
10-06-2010, 11:15 AM
couple pics of the river. it was just a trickle when we crossed friday