PDA

View Full Version : Trail Cam Advice

Whitetail77
09-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Hey Guys,
I need some input from everyones experiences about how long to leave a camera setup in one location. I'm trying to see whats out there this year, so I don't "shoot" the first buck I see if there are larger ones to hold out for. I have my first camera (T-Bark) setup since Friday, and want to check a few different spots, but don't know how long to leave it at each location to get a good feel for the deer working the area. This is all agricultural land and my spots are between 2 to 4 miles apart. I know the easy answer is buy more cameras, but i'm just starting out and need some direction. Thanks

timba
09-28-2010, 03:43 PM
I have one spot where I have been moving my one camera around about every 3 weeks trying to find the trail the bucks are using.

timba

allday
09-28-2010, 06:37 PM
try to find good beatin' down trails or scrapes see who shows up and go from there!

outbackpat
09-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Waterholes are excellent spot's if you can find them. I've got 1 set up over looking a spring and the track's are unbelievable. Got lot's of elk, deer and a few moose too, good luck!

Elkaholic6
09-28-2010, 09:09 PM
try to find good beatin' down trails or scrapes see who shows up and go from there!

From my experience the big bucks tend to not use the "beatin' down trails". They still go down them, but not as regularly as you want. Where I am hunting whitetails, I got 2 cams on the "beatin' down trails" and 90% pics are does and fawns, while the remaining 10% is bucks, about 3% are worth shooting, in my opinion. But I know the bucks I'm going after, are in the area. Which trails they are using? Beats me.

timba
09-29-2010, 08:03 AM
From my experience the big bucks tend to not use the "beatin' down trails". They still go down them, but not as regularly as you want. Where I am hunting whitetails, I got 2 cams on the "beatin' down trails" and 90% pics are does and fawns, while the remaining 10% is bucks, about 3% are worth shooting, in my opinion. But I know the bucks I'm going after, are in the area. Which trails they are using? Beats me.

thats the same thing I have found too,thats why in some spots I have to keep moving the camera around till I find a trail the bucks are using.

kabaner
09-29-2010, 09:56 AM
I would leave it there for a good two weeks, but you also need to find out how long your batteries will last. Some cameras will make it 1-2 weeks and others will make it 4-6 weeks.
Also remember to turn off the flash, i find it tends to scare deer when they see a flash a night. Addtionaly place your camera a little ways off the trail to hide it and also lock it up. I had my camera stold on public land last year.