PDA

View Full Version : Octogon Barrels

whitetail Junkie
09-28-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm just curious as to what are the advantages of having a octogon barrel on a rifle,besides looks?

I'm positive that they make the gun heavier and you have a better chance of denting an edge on the barrel as compared to a round barrel.

I actully think that octogon barrels look awesome and are a great feature on a rifle,I just dont know what purpose they serve? CatntheHat\Elk11\chuck?\anyone?,thanks,WJ!!!:happy 0180:

Precisionshooter
09-28-2010, 12:12 PM
I agree on the right gun they do look nice.

The corners are more likely to show wear and tear.

As for accuracy, I know some shoot well and I suspect properly done it shouldn't be an issue. Like fluting you can run into problems if machining errors happen (lack of uniformity, the use of dull cutters (inducing stress) and possibly the iimproper sequence of cutting).

In the end, I think any changes to finished "round" barrel blank can cause problems. Fluting and changing profile to Octagon opens the doors. Due to the simplistic and uniform turning of a round blank, going wrong is hard to do.

The other consideration is few can measure or know how to measure to determine consistency of cut - re fluting and octagon. As an example, if one flute is too deep that area will heat faster and expand more....

Pathfinder76
09-28-2010, 01:19 PM
It is mainly for looks and will actually decrease weight if done correctly. Like the above post, I would do it only if the individual doing it knew what they were doing. I'm contemplating it for my next build, but prefer half round.

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l433/chuck_nelson/Miller-Classic-Rifle-7-1-05-01Copy-750409.jpg

BrownBear416
09-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Wow Chuck that is a beauty gun and what a piece of wood on it..:sHa_shakeshout:

Did you build that one and whats the specs on it ?

whitetail Junkie
09-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Wow Chuck that is a beauty gun and what a piece of wood on it..:sHa_shakeshout:

Did you build that one and whats the specs on it ?

x2 that is a Great Rifle,a piece of wood like that will cost yaa over $1000.00:)

Pathfinder76
09-28-2010, 04:13 PM
That rifle is nowhere near mine. I wish. It is a $50,000 David Miller Classic. His half round half octagon barrels are very nicely done. And they should be.:)

catnthehat
09-28-2010, 07:53 PM
I remember a series of M70's ( super grade?) that you could get in half round, half octagon, really cool looking.
And THAT is the only reason, same as fluting .
There are both fluted and half round/half octagon as well as full octagon barrels in my gun vault, but I really like the half round /half octagon the best for looks.
Cat

fordtruckin
09-28-2010, 08:44 PM
That rifle is nowhere near mine. I wish. It is a $50,000 David Miller Classic. His half round half octagon barrels are very nicely done. And they should be.:)

Yes at 50K a pop they sure should be nice!:sign0068:

nanuk-O-dah-Nort
10-05-2010, 12:51 AM
Yes at 50K a pop they sure should be nice!:sign0068:

with checkering....

checkering REALLY takes away from beautiful wood.

and nice shaped stock needs NO checkering.

I wish factory rifles were offered without checkering

whitetail Junkie
10-05-2010, 10:40 AM
with checkering....

I have to disagree,having a Rifle that is "Hand" Checkered makes the gun more special Too me.

Rifles, like in the picture chuck posted are a piece of Art,just as much as they are a Lethal Weapon.Checking is a Part of the Master piece:)

Pathfinder76
10-05-2010, 05:20 PM
with checkering....

:snapoutofit: