PDA

View Full Version : Long Walk Out After A Miss

sheepguide
09-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Well got out tonight for the first time this year with my bow. Got a late start but had seen some elk last night so i headed to the general area they were. Getting close to where I thought they should be I let out and immature bugle. An immediate response came from a lot farther north of me. I took off as I didnt have much daylight. I was getting anwers every time I bugled so I knew he was close. I came to a creek and waded it but once on the other side he busted me. After a stare down and me cow calling with the hoochie momma he calmed down and came into 39 yards. I figured i had it in the bag but after two missed shots and me standing there in disbeleif he slowly worked away bugling as he went. Here he is as he fades away into the fog. Also got some of his bugling action on video after my flinging of arrows.
Anyways I guess thats why its called hunting and not killing. Was great to once again call one of these great animals in. Sucks to miss but still was a great night.
I cant make it out in the AM but ill be back there tomorrow night.

SG

Elkaholic6
09-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Happens to the best of us unfortunately..

Too bad being close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades..

ishootbambi
09-28-2010, 09:39 PM
no shame in a miss. just be glad it was a complete miss rather than a poor hit.

sheepguide
09-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Happens to the best of us unfortunately..

Too bad being close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades..

Yep, it isnt the first I missed and probably wont be the last. Keeps a guy humble. And at least now I have an excuse to chase them elk around some more:). And to me just getting the bull bugled in was a good night.
SG

hunt_and_fish
09-28-2010, 10:06 PM
And to me just getting the bull bugled in was a good night.
SG

I hear ya man. There's nothing like it. I love calling in any animal...and elk are at the very top of the list for me.

Go get 'em tomorrow.

BigRackLover
09-29-2010, 06:43 AM
ouch ... could be a long winter. Go get em'

Tracker34
09-29-2010, 07:44 AM
Good luck. Hope you get him next time.

gramps73
09-29-2010, 08:22 AM
Best of luck SG, got busted last weekend myself..
thanks for posting the pictures.
g73

u_cant_rope_the_wind
09-29-2010, 08:48 AM
even though you missed with yer arrow, yer hunt was still a complete sucsess
, wth the thrill of knowing you can call in a bull, getting video, and pics, and just the thrill of that bull , I bet you was still seeing him in yer sleep, it will all come together when the time is right, hope you get many more chances this year still:sign0111: