PDA

View Full Version : mule deer HELP!!

archercurt
09-29-2010, 08:12 AM
so here is the deal, i watched this mule deer for like 2 months before season and ive been trying my hardest to get within that 50 yard mark but he seems to bust me EVRY time, that or hes out in the middle of a cut canola field or hes on posted land. this is my first year with a bow and am really excited about my first archery deer. hes a dandy buck and he is there literaly evry day and he dosnt have a problem standing just out of range and just letting me admire him (wishing it was rifle season). there is a half section on either side of the road with not alot of tree cover and he generally dosnt wonder too far off that land. I cant imagine that some of you havnt had this same problem and im really just looking for some pointers as to how to get that little edge on him. i had him at 22 yards 3 days ago but on the wrong side of the fence :thinking-006:. any time he is on my side either a doe sees me or he does :sign0176:

Eze
09-29-2010, 08:25 AM
Thats why it is called Hunting. Patience, patience and one day it will be in your favour

Jrbiggamehunter
09-29-2010, 08:44 AM
If you have been watching for 2 months you should know where he is moving. Set up wait for him to walk in front of you and stick a arrow in him.

HillTophunter
09-29-2010, 10:24 AM
I was watching a Primos hunting video the other day and the guys were out stalking Mule's with their bows. They gave a good tip which im going to try to get in close. Bring a couple extra pairs of thick socks, and when its time to start closing in take your boots off and put the socks on and it quiets your footsteps. Or like others have said, if you watched him for awhile you should know the general direction he heads when your outt. So find a nice spot that he strolls by and you should be able to get a good shot.

good luck!

archercurt
09-29-2010, 10:57 AM
thing is yes ive watched him for some time now but he seems to come from a diff derection evry time, i know this was probley pointless to post on here because no one has been there to see the terrain/bush but your right i do need to head him off on his travels to feed but like evry hunter knows hes always one step ahead of me lol

yamaha 1
09-29-2010, 01:31 PM
thing is yes ive watched him for some time now but he seems to come from a diff derection evry time, i know this was probley pointless to post on here because no one has been there to see the terrain/bush but your right i do need to head him off on his travels to feed but like evry hunter knows hes always one step ahead of me lol

Theres not much you can done you are are doing all the right things, just keep banging away at it and soonner or later he will make a mistake and if you don't get him this year he will be that much bigger next year. good luck:happy0034:

Islander
09-29-2010, 02:36 PM
I feel your pain, archercurt. I've been after a particular buck all season, and had numerous stalks on him, including a miss on my first day out (after watching him for 6 hours), and the next day, a deflection off what must have been the only branch within ten feet of him:angry3: I have passed on a few dandies, as I'm holding out for this guy (for now). If all goes well, I'll smoke him tonight:sHa_shakeshout:

Sounds like you're doing all the right things, and if you keep putting in the time, his days are numbered. When it all comes together, you'll wonder why it ever seemed so tough in the first place.
Good luck!

archercurt
09-29-2010, 03:05 PM
haha thats what ive been saying about this big bugger....tonight is the night i will smoke him lol and it never goes as planned of corse

pottymouth
09-29-2010, 03:21 PM
If you have been watching for 2 months you should know where he is moving. Set up wait for him to walk in front of you and stick a arrow in him.

Easier said than done with a bigger Muley !!

Because mule deer can be nomadict in nature, they truely can be difficult to pattern. While I never would chase a whitetail in his bedding area, I have found that watching a mule deer bed, and konwing his escape routes from his bedding spot, might give you the best oppoturnity to give chase. Take account the wind, most likely the hill direction and cover around, a slow methodical stalk, while he's sleeping, mid day might be your best chance.

Good luck, keep us informed......any info on what you think he might score???

moosemad
09-29-2010, 08:37 PM
Maybe pick up a pop up blind and let it sit for a couple of days hopefully down wind. Sounds like you don't have a lot of cover. Best part is he will be bigger next year.:sHa_shakeshout:

archercurt
09-30-2010, 11:26 AM
oh i would imagine high 160's low 170's. had a pretty good stalk on him again last night thru a standing canola field with a friend of mine. that crap is a real pain to crawl thru lol but i got to about 75 yards and he stood up and had me pinned, actually came toward me probley another 10 yards and i ranged hime at 60 stood up and he bolted lol. we have a game plan for saturday we'll just have to wait and see if it works!

yamaha 1
09-30-2010, 01:34 PM
QUOTE=archercurt;695527]oh i would imagine high 160's low 170's. had a pretty good stalk on him again last night thru a standing canola field with a friend of mine. that crap is a real pain to crawl thru lol but i got to about 75 yards and he stood up and had me pinned, actually came toward me probley another 10 yards and i ranged hime at 60 stood up and he bolted lol. we have a game plan for saturday we'll just have to wait and see if it works![/QUOTE]

:sign0111: Make sure you take lost of pic's!