PDA

View Full Version : Our first Speckles

aulrich
09-29-2010, 03:07 PM
Finally got this of of the phone.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/aulrich/skunkboyfirstgoose.jpg

Skunkboys first goose and my first specklebelly, getting back into bird hunting was a good thing, and real special with the boys it's a great form of hunting to take kids on.

trapshooter
09-29-2010, 03:23 PM
Try to set your decoys facing different directions! You might get some more geese!

Jamie Black R/T
09-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Try to set your decoys facing different directions! You might get some more geese!

ive always set my decoys all facing into the wind....works well

Good shooting boys...nice to get some speck's in the mix

hal53
09-29-2010, 04:03 PM
when you're spotting your shoot, watch the birds closely, the only time they ALL face into the wind is when they are ready to leave or are nervous, otherwise they're feeding in all directions...

aulrich
09-29-2010, 04:48 PM
The brother in-law and I differ on that point I am an every which way sort where as he likes them facing the same way, since he has more deeks he wins. I'll work on him.

hal53
09-29-2010, 05:01 PM
Been chasing them for a lot of years...if nothing else...it makes for some good discussions at 0630 in the dark while you're waiting for the birds to come in, I noticed it many years ago, when I would find a shoot and the fella I was guiding for would insist that "you put the Geese to bed" IE watch them until they were fed and headed back to the water to make sure a coyote. other hunters etc. didn't spook them, that was in the late '70's

pdfish
09-29-2010, 05:01 PM
when you're spotting your shoot, watch the birds closely, the only time they ALL face into the wind is when they are ready to leave or are nervous, otherwise they're feeding in all directions...

Trapshooter is right and hal is bang-on with the reasoning. Those decoys in the pic are only 90 bucks a dozen at wholesale, pick up a dozen or two and then you get the say.

Rockymtnx
09-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Congrats on the Specks! That one is nicely bared up.
They are by far my favorite bird.

I have to agree with Hal, mix them up and face them every which way. When we put our decoys they go whichever way they land on the ground. There is no thought to direction on them. The only decoys that I face a certain direction are our four “Lookers” that face away from the wind. This then looks like they are watching the birds that are coming into land. The only time I have seen them all face one direction is when they are nervous and when they are watching something (ie coyote)

when I would find a shoot and the fella I was guiding for would insist that "you put the Geese to bed" IE watch them until they were fed and headed back to the water to make sure a coyote. other hunters etc. didn't spook them, that was in the late '70's
I’m the same way Hal. If I have a “GOOD” shoot lined up I put them to bed. I have a few people in my area that like to blow birds off fields they can’t hunt with their clients. Also there is no second guessing yourself in the morning.

Zekeland
09-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Nice specks!!

Very jealous...will be out that way start of November to clean up any leftover specks in the far SE.

Good luck the rest of the season!!

The only decoys that face directly into the wind are the 2 to 3 actives that I place downwind of my landing zone 15-20 yds to represent a couple that have just landed and are making their way to the feeding frenzy.

Pikebreath
09-29-2010, 08:50 PM
Decoys and wind direction always make for interesting discussions. First off, I am in the school of thought that the majority (but not all) should be facing 45degees right and left in to the wind. The reason being is the paltry few dozen decoys we put out looks nothing like the several hundred to thousand plus birds we see actively in feeding mode. If you ever watch the first flock or two of birds come into the field, many do not start feeding right away, rather they often seem to be looking around and assessing the situation for a bit before chowing down. To my way of thinking I want my 5 - 10 dozen dekes to look like the first geese onto to the field,,,,, geese that have just landed and haven't gotten into the feedbag yet,,,, and geese will always land and take off into the wind.

Just another theory that has been working for me since 1969!

Hunter Trav
09-30-2010, 09:53 AM
I’m the same way Hal. If I have a “GOOD” shoot lined up I put them to bed. I have a few people in my area that like to blow birds off fields they can’t hunt with their clients. Also there is no second guessing yourself in the morning.

:snapoutofit: What do you mean, that never happens around these parts, quit spreading rumors... :innocent: :D

oilngas
09-30-2010, 09:58 AM
Blowing them out of the field is an issue in the "Brooks" area, especially if Guides are working the area and or pheasant hunters walk the ditch. I like to be there til they leave in the Morn. and put them to bed.

aulrich
09-30-2010, 10:36 AM
The one real good point of the face into the wind is more to do with decoy movement. with the decoys we have when they are on stakes when they are face first the wind moves them more.

The first argument we had was general spread form, I am a v into the wind with the bulk of the decoys in one group with flanking groups making a kill zone in the middle. And he sets up to parallel groups with a landing strip orientated to the wind. I did win that one.