PDA

View Full Version : New spot

RayL42
09-30-2010, 08:06 AM
I have to admit it has been a long time since I have been this excited to go out hunting (and I am usually pretty excited to go hunting). This year I got permission on a new spot out on the prairie and on Saturday I will be hunting it for the first time. The area I have permission is a steep valley with a small creek in the bottom and trees on the north face north of the valley is pasture and south is a grain field. I scouted it once and saw a mature Mule buck in the valley and 6 does feeding in the grain field.

Nearly all my other hunting has been in the trees from stands and blinds so the open country is a little new to me. My plan on Saturday is to approach from the north assuming a south or west wind, sit by a little couver on the edge of the valley and spot in the bottom where I saw the buck as well as the grain field to my south. If I see something I think I can move with couver and silence in the bottom of the valley and hopefully I can get with in 30 yards my preferred bow range.

As this is my first attempt at the spot and stalk style hunting any comments on my plan would be appreciated and if it all sound reasonable just a good luck.

Deer Hunter
09-30-2010, 08:19 AM
I'd bomb through there in the truck first. No point getting your boots dirty. :sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcasticlol:

JK, sounds like a neat spot, good luck!

RayL42
09-30-2010, 10:49 AM
I'd bomb through there in the truck first. No point getting your boots dirty. :sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcasticlol:

JK, sounds like a neat spot, good luck!

Good plan if I stay in the truck I can become part of that exclusive club the “the bow truck hunter” which is ten times more prestigious then the rifle truck hunter.

Ya the spot is in pretty spectacular country and the icing on the cake is I am the first hunter on the land in 3 years and no cattle have been in the pasture for 5.

Deer Hunter
09-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Good plan if I stay in the truck I can become part of that exclusive club the “the bow truck hunter” which is ten times more prestigious then the rifle truck hunter.

Ya the spot is in pretty spectacular country and the icing on the cake is I am the first hunter on the land in 3 years and no cattle have been in the pasture for 5.

Cool. How big is this place? Sounds like your land owner relations paid off. Nice work.