PDA

View Full Version : Feild Pics

steve
09-30-2010, 09:38 AM
Still have 2 months to go for most of us, and the feild pics are starting to roll in. Some good, some bad.

Some of us need to work on capturing the moment with a little more "class" :lol:

Some things to think of:

No...

Tarps
Trucks
Tailgates
Meatpoles
Gutpiles in back ground
Riding the animal
Tongues out

I've found trying to "bed" the animal down making it look natural works quite well as opposed to legs splayed. Get that bone sky lined!

These are somethings I've found out with trial and error. This isn't a jab at anyone.

We all love looking at feild pics and for the 5 mins of prep work it takes to setup a nice pic, maybe a few newer guys can learn a few things from this. I took a great pic of a mulie I arrowed by myself this year, my favorite pic of the bunch and unfortunately his tongues hanging out, dissapointing....

Feel free to leave your own tips and tricks.

sheephunter
09-30-2010, 09:40 AM
I love meat pole photos! Nothing says old school hunting camp like a meat pole full of deer or moose or elk.

Some good tips though.

packhuntr
09-30-2010, 09:45 AM
I thought truck box photos were the real McCoy? When did they go outa style?

steve
09-30-2010, 09:47 AM
I thought truck box photos were the real McCoy? When did they go outa style?

83'

sheepguide
09-30-2010, 09:48 AM
One of the best things ive learned is to tie the mouth shut with the tongue in(cut it off if needed). Dont tie around the nose as alot of people do(I used to also), the best way is to use dental floss or fishing line. Make small incisions on the top and bottom gums inside the mouth(place them behind where your cut will be if caping) then thread the line through and tie. This will hold the mouth closed for you.
Another thing I always do is to pack wet wipes and try and remove most of the blood. They can also be stuffed back up the nostrils to stop any blood flow there. Make sure to push it way in or it will be seen in the pics.

Just a couple ive learned over the years.
SG

Hunterclark
09-30-2010, 09:55 AM
Some good Point’s I guess. But I have to say if that’s the way you captured “your” hunting moments please don’t be afraid to post and share your photos

On Tarps
Trucks
Tailgates
Meat poles
Gut piles in back ground
Riding the animal
Tongues out

As a hunter I have seen animals tongues out on meat poles and tailgates etc I don’t have a problem with it don’t be ashamed of your hunting moments.
Good luck Hunting and happy photo shoot's how ever you do it.

catnthehat
09-30-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm not crazy about out of focus pics, but other than that, what some consider ethical or whatever is not for me to decide.
if i don't like the picture I won't look at it twice.
Cat

Hellydoc
09-30-2010, 09:59 AM
I'll take the bad with the good. Just keep them coming. I might not get out much this year and will enjoy all posted :)

Thanks

steve
09-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Some good Point’s I guess. But I have to say if that’s the way you captured “your” hunting moments please don’t be afraid to post and share your photos

On Tarps
Trucks
Tailgates
Meat poles
Gut piles in back ground
Riding the animal
Tongues out

As a hunter I have seen animals tongues out on meat poles and tailgates etc I don’t have a problem with it don’t be ashamed of your hunting moments.
Good luck Hunting and happy photo shoot's how ever you do it.

I knew guys would take this the wrong way :lol:

This was for future reference. But of course share em all.

Hunting Alberta
09-30-2010, 10:03 AM
Unless your setting the animal up for a cover photo for your favourite magazine dont worry about it capture the moment and enjoy the memory remember most people will be jealous to see the pics and enjoy them either way you have them laying

sheepguide
09-30-2010, 11:21 AM
No one is saying dont post your pics. And we dont give pointers so pics can be improved for the blow heart no it alls that veiw the pics from their computers. The pointers I have given as well as those of others are from past experience. My own pictures have improved 200% from when I started hunting. I enjoy looking at all my own pics from past years but I am alot happier with quality pics from more recent years. Dont improve one thing in your pics for anyone else. Do it for yourself. If guys want bloody, tongue out, in the truck pics than more power to you and we will all look at them too. This thread is for those that would like the best pic of their trophy and trip, and im sure them guys will be happy to get pointers. I look forward to hearing some for my own use.
Good thread Steve.
SG

BrownBear416
09-30-2010, 11:25 AM
Still have 2 months to go for most of us, and the feild pics are starting to roll in. Some good, some bad.

Some of us need to work on capturing the moment with a little more "class" :lol:

Some things to think of:

No...

Tarps
Trucks
Tailgates
Meatpoles
Gutpiles in back ground
Riding the animal
Tongues out

I've found trying to "bed" the animal down making it look natural works quite well as opposed to legs splayed. Get that bone sky lined!

These are somethings I've found out with trial and error. This isn't a jab at anyone.

We all love looking at feild pics and for the 5 mins of prep work it takes to setup a nice pic, maybe a few newer guys can learn a few things from this. I took a great pic of a mulie I arrowed by myself this year, my favorite pic of the bunch and unfortunately his tongues hanging out, dissapointing....

Feel free to leave your own tips and tricks.

I was going to say something but I didnt want to hurt your feelings..:sLo_BigBearHug:

I agree with the bed down method (No comments please Treeguy) as I find it looks the best.

I like to wipe all the blood of the mouth and I also try to cover up the entry hole with my bow or rifle.Make sure the animal is centered in the pic and that no part of the animal is cut off in the pic.Unless you are just doing a head profile shot.Also clear out and any branches or weeds that will show up in the pic.

I am always conscious of these things when i get an animal down and i still take bad pics sometimes..:angry3: I read in a mag somewhere that if you took 200 pictures of your trophy you would usually find 2-3 that you liked lol

6.5 shooter
09-30-2010, 11:53 AM
Another tip, is to try different angles get down low, or off to one side or the other. Watch out for trees growing out of the top of peoples heads.

Now that everyone has digital cameras, go shutter crazy, burn up the frames. Like Brown Bear said, it takes a couple hundred shots, to get the right one.

Be aware of the sun, squinting or washed out photos will happen, if your not careful.

In my personal opinion, blood and guts belong on the butchers floor, not in the photo's, I would like to share with family and friends, who may not be as keen on hunting, as I am.

Shooter

Dark Wing
09-30-2010, 12:15 PM
Good post and some great tips guys. Field photos look so much better when you take a little time to set them up.

AxiALe
09-30-2010, 12:31 PM
i can't stand those long arm photo's i think they look like sh%t

Bassett
09-30-2010, 01:15 PM
or another tip, remember a camera so you CAN take pictures!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Albertabowhunter
09-30-2010, 01:22 PM
Unless your setting the animal up for a cover photo for your favourite magazine dont worry about it capture the moment and enjoy the memory remember most people will be jealous to see the pics and enjoy them either way you have them laying

I disagree with this statement. I place my pictures in a photo album, or on the wall. I prefer something that people will like to look at. Tarps, truck boxes, gut piles,ect. just dont look nice up on the wall next to a mount or on display.

whitetail Junkie
09-30-2010, 02:16 PM
I disagree with this statement. I place my pictures in a photo album, or on the wall. I prefer something that people will like to look at. Tarps, truck boxes, gut piles,ect. just dont look nice up on the wall next to a mount or on display.

x2,We dont mount our Biggest Bucks,we Frame a 11" x 14" blown up field photo and frame it for the wall above the pile of deer racks on the floor in the basement.

ovis40
09-30-2010, 08:44 PM
Why wouldn't you want to make your pictures the best you can? You might not care how you look but have some respect for the animals you hunt. A outfitter I worked for wouldn't use any bad pictures for his brochures and if you only had bad pictures then your critters wouldn't in it. Guaranteed next season your pictures were better! Sometimes you just have to do your best. When a Dall ram tumbles down a mtn side chances are you will have your work cut out just trying to get it presentable. Red on white is a bit%h.
Like stated above take LOTS of pic's. And even if it's a bright sunny day take a bunch with the flash, you might be suprised.

ishootbambi
09-30-2010, 11:59 PM
steve this is an excellent reminder that will help some people take better pics over the next few months. to anyone who wants to say you are wrong....their loss. this should almost be a sticky. picking up a set of horns or antlers or looking at a mount is an awesome thing to do to admire a trophy. to truly relive the day....the time, the weather, the location.....only pictures can give you all that. i wish someone had given me the tools to do it right when i was much younger.....so many memories in my head that were never captured properly, or at all.

Stop Staring at my Rack
10-01-2010, 12:09 AM
`Great thread, I also have a lot of memories in my head, I wish I had pics to show my kids...take as many pics as you can, enjoy the moment and capture it so you can share.... the nicer the pics, the presentation of your trophy, the more likely other will enjoy them, including non hunters...

pottymouth
10-01-2010, 01:13 AM
Don't forget to smile ! I think it's hilarious looking at the tough guy or convict scowls .

209x50
10-01-2010, 06:27 AM
convict scowls
Hahaha! great description!

Dark Wing
10-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Don't forget to smile ! I think it's hilarious looking at the tough guy or convict scowls .

I don't know whats worse a convict scowl or a forced smile that looks like a bugs crawling up the guys butt:lol::lol:.

catnthehat
10-01-2010, 11:03 AM
The very WORST thing a person can do to mess up a picture is to blot out someone's face in it.
Crap. just leave the person out of the pic altogether.
Cat

jaylow?
10-01-2010, 11:21 AM
pretentious thread ! there are far worse things in life. im just happy to see people get they're animals. have a good season boys!

Cal
10-01-2010, 11:30 AM
I concider myself a decent photographer I do a pretty good job of taking pictures of most anything you want. But sometimes when you've got an animal down the picture is not the most important priority. This year I shot my first mulie with a bow and I wanted a good picture, my camera was locked in my buddys truck. Unwilling to interupt his hunt I waited a bit to see if he'd come by but eventualy ended up field dressing and dragging the deer out before taking a few quick pictures in the dark. And ended up with this.

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv45/exophysical/039-1.jpg

This is just one example, I like a nice picture as well as anyone else but I wont judge a sloppy photo. There can be alot going on when an animals down and sometimes the picture isnt perfect. Heres another one where I had alot of things to worry about besides taking a great picture. I still like looking at it and reliving the memory even if its not one I'd put on my wall.

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv45/exophysical/IMG_2941.jpg

Heres about the only decent picture I have of a moose and some on here would criticize it as well. I was by myself 1k from the trial and about 10k's from the truck and I had no tripod. It took some rope and sticks and a fair amount of time to get this picture and when I finaly got that moose into my truck about 30 hours later I realy didnt much care about the large amounts of blood and loose hair.

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv45/exophysical/012.jpg

Just keep posting them guys!

ishootbambi
10-01-2010, 08:52 PM
you are selling yourself short on those pics cal. the first one is pretty good. you say he is gutted, but you have a clump of grass in just the right place to hide things. pics in the dark are always good. antlers show up very well in a flash. there is always someone asking why you hunted at night, but i make a point of pics in the dark as i personally love the look.

the second pic is awesome. whoever ran the camera was obviously in the water as well and there are no ripples from the cameraman. sweet shot!

the third one is pretty good for a tripod. without the benefit of someone making sure you have the angle of the face of the animal right, and your body position is good, it can be tough. i might have been in front of the hole to hide it, but it isnt too gory. the finger on the trigger of the gun wasnt neccessary, but really not bad for a self portrait.

redranger15
10-01-2010, 09:10 PM
i can't stand those long arm photo's i think they look like sh%t

I agree, also not a fan of the sit at the azz end and take a head on shot. If your animal is big you don't need any tricks to make it look bigger.

catnthehat
10-01-2010, 09:12 PM
I dunno, where does the ethical and unethical start and end?
I have pictures of hanging animals and skinning them, cutting off legs with a hatchet to demonstrate how to do it, dragging dear through the river with my boat to clean them ( and it was the only way to get the deer that big INTO the boat by myself - get it into the water first) a have a pic of a doe I shot in a snowstorm the last day of the season and forgot to take the drag rope off her neck, pics taken in the dark after we lost light because we were trying to get the spread packed up, pics of deer in a truck because we didn't have a camera where we killed it, etc, etc.....

I will not throw these pictures pout and people want to see them.
I see nothing unethical about them at all, but i do prefer the filed pics of some geese I have to the one s I took on the lawn because we didn't have the camera in the field.

because I forget stuff, or cannot compose a shot as good as some, or take pictures of dead stuff that others do not like I am not a good hunter and do not portray hunters in a good light ?
Cat

steve
10-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Cat, like I said in the first post and my third post.

Show them ALL, nothing about ethics or morally wrong/right. I refuse to go down the moral/ethics road on here.

This was some ideas to get guys thinking for future reference (like I stated above).

I have seen you hatchet and knife pics, and you towing a deer behind the jetboat in the river. I enjoyed all of them. I never once said please don't post certain kinds of pics they offend me. I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way. The best part of AO for me are the pics, keep them coming please.

I much rather see a pic of a buck with intestines wrapped around his antlers, on the hood, then no pic at all. This was more of a tips/tricks thread to help set up a really amazing pic of your critter. But I get called pretentious :lol:

catnthehat
10-01-2010, 09:38 PM
My post wasn't really aimed at you personally Steve, but I have talked to people in the past that have that attitude, so posted my view on the subject.

These types of threads can get sideways in a hurry sometimes, and I was just stating what I do and why Ii do it because I have been criticised in the past on a different forum for posting that same pic of the deer in the water!:confused:
However, most of the pictures I have portray something of the day for me to remember when the time comes that the closest I can get to hunting is to tell my grand kids about it!:)

That deer was a particularly tough recovery down some very gnarly terrain, and I tripped more than once trying to guide the danged thing down the slope and landing up on my back with the antlers on either side of me after getting upended on a branch!:sign0068:
it's all good anyway.....:)
Cat

ishootbambi
10-01-2010, 09:55 PM
because I forget stuff, or cannot compose a shot as good as some, or take pictures of dead stuff that others do not like I am not a good hunter and do not portray hunters in a good light ?
Cat

no cat, it doesnt mean that at all. it just means that SOME people may get offended by it, and they wont appear on a magazine or brochure for anything.....but i dont think you are aiming for that. dont take offence. its just a few tips to turn ok shots into great ones that you will have great pride showing to anyone. steves advice is really good for everyone, take it or leave it.

220swifty
10-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Sometimes after the meat is gone, the photos are all you have. It never hurts to take your time and get your photo just right. It's not like the animal is going to run off on you if it isn't in the truck right away.

Anyways, Steve, I think it was last season when i started a thread along these lines and got chastised as 'holier than thou', etc. Still didn't change my opinion. It isn't ethics, just friendly advice. All you guys who are barking here just calm down, and if you don't like the advice, don't heed it.

ULTRAlite
10-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Best tip I've got is take lots of shots from lots of different camera angles - pick your favorite shots later.

I took a great pic of a mulie I arrowed by myself this year, my favorite pic of the bunch and unfortunately his tongues hanging out, dissapointing....

probably easy enough to get rid of with photoshop

Cal
10-02-2010, 05:06 PM
you are selling yourself short on those pics cal. the first one is pretty good. you say he is gutted, but you have a clump of grass in just the right place to hide things. pics in the dark are always good. antlers show up very well in a flash. there is always someone asking why you hunted at night, but i make a point of pics in the dark as i personally love the look.

the second pic is awesome. whoever ran the camera was obviously in the water as well and there are no ripples from the cameraman. sweet shot!

the third one is pretty good for a tripod. without the benefit of someone making sure you have the angle of the face of the animal right, and your body position is good, it can be tough. i might have been in front of the hole to hide it, but it isnt too gory. the finger on the trigger of the gun wasnt neccessary, but really not bad for a self portrait.

The camera is in timer mode on a dollar store mini-tripod on a rock in the water. Had a little trouble getting my partner to volenteer his camera for that one :lol:
We are alone with about a 50 kilometer paddle ahead of us and a storm moving in, due to the mechanics involved in shooting out of the rear seat in a canoe my buddy is mostly deaf, a little ****ed off, and not very co-operative so we took exactly one photo which I didnt even look at. Definatly not tying the mouth shut but I wish we'd noticed that huge clump of blood in the foreground.

mountianmoney
10-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Another good trick I use to hold mouths closed as a little dab of crazy glue on the lips. Works like a charm and comes off after.

Pikebreath
10-03-2010, 07:11 AM
Just remember that anything posted to the web on sites like this becomes public domain and you lose control of what can happen with pictures and information. PETA types do frequent these boards looking for evidence on how cruel and vile we hunters are to use as ammo in their anti-hunting propaganda. A "tasteful" picture capturing the essence of the hunt and the animal does little to further their cause compared to photos that show all sorts of blood, guts, "boorish" hunter behavior and demeaning animal poses. These latter kind of photos can sometimes only further the anti's cause and resolve to shut us down.

deerhuntercentral
10-03-2010, 07:26 AM
There's a pretty good article on this over at boone and crockett website.

http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgrecords/records_phototips.asp?area=bgrecords

ovis40
10-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Just remember that anything posted to the web on sites like this becomes public domain and you lose control of what can happen with pictures and information. PETA types do frequent these boards looking for evidence on how cruel and vile we hunters are to use as ammo in their anti-hunting propaganda. A "tasteful" picture capturing the essence of the hunt and the animal does little to further their cause compared to photos that show all sorts of blood, guts, "boorish" hunter behavior and demeaning animal poses. These latter kind of photos can sometimes only further the anti's cause and resolve to shut us down.

2X
Cal your picture of the moose in the water is a dandy. There is alot of stuff that has happened and lots more to happen. A picture can say a thousand words.
Everyone, just do the best that you can. I'm sure we all have some pictures that we look at and say why the hell did I take that. I know I have and I still have them.

odsixer
10-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Great thread, brings up some points I have never considered. I gotta start taking more pics of the hunt but usually seem to forget my camera:sign0161: