PDA

View Full Version : Scent Control

mulecrazy
10-12-2007, 09:46 AM
209's thread on the hunters got me thinking about scent control and its effectiveness. I used to spray any scent killer product that I could find all over my clothes with minimal success. This year however I chose to use none and found the same results. I had WT within 100 yards downwind that did not spook and others that did. I have a theory that unless you spend the big bucks on ALL scent blocker equipment you are wasting your time and money. I am a smoker too by the way which probably makes it worse. I was just curious as to everyone elses experience and remedies to cover your scent.

Scott N
10-12-2007, 10:04 AM
I have my doubts that scent blockers work all that well to. Probably the best scent blocker is just watching which way the wind is blowing.

Lethalconnection
10-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Probably the best scent blocker is just watching which way the wind is blowing.

I agree 100%, i think all that scent blockers do is just help build your confidence

Map Maker
10-12-2007, 11:53 AM
i think all that scent blockers do is just help build your confidence

I believe in that , and confidence is worth alot.

I use regular fabrics but wash them in fragrance-free detergent.

Its been my experience that with no wind, my scent is about 15 yards out from me. Ive had the experience of a coyote trotting down a trail and coming to a full stop about 15 yards from me, and looking quite scared but couldnt see me. Ive also had a big buck snorting like crazy 15 yards from me trying to call his does back that were within 8 yards of me.
With the wind blowing, Ive seen elk pick up my scent at 300 yards while i was standing but went back to their regular routine when i hunched down.

TreeGuy
10-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Absolutly 100% bang on MuleCrazy! I too am a smoker and when I am paying close attention to the wind....it doesn't matter. The elk I took this year appeared within 10 yards of me, 2 minutes after just finishing a smoke! Lucky....oh course, wind blowing the right way for my set-up.....priceless!:lol:

Tree

101sonny
10-12-2007, 05:38 PM
I let my bullets do the walking for me so sent control is not needed :lol: :lol: :lol: .I have to say i am a none believer this stuff is a money racket nothing more ,cluttering up the hunting market among other gadgets praying on the week minded .Thinking it will give them the edge not true a little leg work and as stated below watch the wind (key) for all Hunter 's.

I wonder what some old timers would of thought hunting back in the 40's - 50's-even 60's "Scent control" you might get laughed out of hunting camp.:lol: :lol: :ashamed:

mulecrazy
10-13-2007, 02:53 AM
Watching Drury outdoors show on wild t.v. made me laugh. If anyone is familiar with it they have there "Dream Season" competition. One thing they grad each other on is "Scent Control" I feel that there criteria and judging on this is crap. When it is 100 deg. F I am not gonna put on long sleeve shirts and a touque. Watching your wind and choosing your stands is your best bet as far as I am concerned.

cheers,

Unregistered user
10-13-2007, 07:58 AM
Beano= best scent control.

Huntnut
10-13-2007, 09:17 AM
I think the most important thing are the uv's. I wash all my clothes in uv eliminating soap.

209x50
10-13-2007, 01:19 PM
Watching Drury outdoors show on wild t.v. made me laugh. If anyone is familiar with it they have there "Dream Season" competition. One thing they grad each other on is "Scent Control"
Hey where were you a couple weeks back when I posted the stupidest thing I've heard on tv? That "great scent control " comment by old guy Drury absolutley cracked Sandi and I up!

Bushrat
10-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Instead of smelling a man wearing ordinary clothes they smell a man wearing a scentloc suit. They did some tests using dogs and the scentloc suits in no way hindered the ability of dogs to find a person.

packhuntr
10-13-2007, 03:47 PM
Well really though, how effective could it possibly be.....they use dogs to find drowning victims in lakes etc, merely by driving the dog around on the lake with a boat. Apparently the gasses given off by a body can be detected very consistently, and surprisingly accurately. Apparently when the dog jumps or starts going haywire, you put the divers in there. I wonder if a deer's nose is close to, exceeds or is weaker than a dogs nose. If a deer can smell that good, there isnt a scent lock suit thick enough or near complete enough {doesnt cover enough of the human body} to prevent being winded if the wind is wrong. Sure does make ya wonder if this stuff is as good as they say. I dont have any scentlock so have no personal experience with it.

keep a strain on er.

bowchaser
10-14-2007, 09:35 AM
I don't believe in the clothing, how is it possible to contain when your scent is still getting out your neck, waist etc. I do use the spray though when bow hunting, especially on the ground. Last night I had a doe and fawn directly downwind at 15 yds, they could pick something up but didn't scare them off. I don't think it covers you, but at least mixes it up or changes what they know as human scent. Can't hurt...

Donkey Slayer
10-15-2007, 08:23 PM
I think a cover scent is the way to go.

wonka
10-15-2007, 09:09 PM
smoke it boys, smoke it

The Elkster
10-15-2007, 09:20 PM
One can cover yourself head to toe in whatever material but what about your breath? You gonna capture and filter that somehow? Your breath probably puts out 100X's the smell that wafts off your body by convection. Cover scent/masking may work to fool a human nose but it won't work for deer or dogs who have far better smell then us. Regardless of overpowering layers deer and dogs can still pick out other underlying scents no problem.

Stay quiet and down wind with or without camo on and you'll get your animal. Wild game = awesome hearing and smell and poor sight. All the sales fluff makes us feel good and gives us the confidence to sit there and be patient but in reality does little good. We'd do equally well with patience and without the fluff and our wallets would thank us. Just my two cents

Ironsights
10-16-2007, 07:45 AM
A cup of baking soda in the washer, hang outside to dry if possible, a few clippings from a spruce tree and into a plastic bag for transport or storage works for me. I also shower/wash with a scent free soap.

Hoochie Papa
10-16-2007, 08:11 AM
Whatever you do to boost your confidence- giver. Hunt inside a giant bubble if you want.

But in the end, it's all about wind direction.

ABDUKNUT
10-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Biggest deer I ever shot... Lit cigarette hanging from my lips, and pants around my ankles 'cause I just finished taking a dump... Next thing I know, I see deer fur, CLOSE, coming out of a thicket, 10 yards away...

'Scent Control' is just another marketing gimmick used by Realtree, Buckmasters et al to bolster their sales. Personally I put more faith in blind luck, than snake oil, such as scent-killer spray and scent-lok outfits.

I do have a pretty neat scent-lok camo suit, but I only bought it because it was a promo and cost me nearly nothing, and it looks pretty darn cool.