PDA

View Full Version : First Antelope Hunt

Highcountry
09-30-2010, 02:33 PM
I will be going down south for an antelope hunt in a couple weeks if anyone has any tips or advise please feel free my draw is for the area south of taber Thanks

Rockymtnx
09-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Hello HC,
This is one hunt you are sure going to enjoy. Antelope are one of my favorites animals to hunt.

If you’re looking for a decent buck look for the following characteristics:
- When the ears are erect, look for the cutters to be above the ears. This generally the ears will be about 5-1/2" tall. This is a good way to see how tall a buck really is. If his prongs are above his years by an inch and he has the same amount of length up from that point you probably have a 13" antelope.
- When looking at a side profile look for one that his horns are as wide or wider than the eyeball and dark fur around the eyeball.
- Look for one with some curve to his tips. Even though a straight up buck will look taller, the curve usual will add a couple inches in length.

Other tidbits of info:
- Take a good spotting scope for glassing
- Purchase County/MD map for the area
- Take a pair of binos for when you’re on the stalk
- Take a bipod or a good rest to shoot off
- Game cart if you have one
- Watch Pronghorn Guide Service's "Size is Everything" DVD on field judging. (stop by my place and borrow it)

Best of luck out there, and we will be awaiting some pictures when you get back.

Jrbiggamehunter
09-30-2010, 04:53 PM
I will be going down south for an antelope hunt in a couple weeks if anyone has any tips or advise please feel free my draw is for the area south of taber Thanks

Leave all the 80 inch goats for me haha.