PDA

View Full Version : Denied access to hunt because I hunt with my children!!!!

Stop Staring at my Rack
09-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Stopped at the cabin of a friends today, to ask about access to hunt on a piece of land we have hunted for six years. Only ever shot a doe and a cyote out there ourselves, but helped two young hunters get there first deer there.
He told us that we cannot have access this year because I hunt with children, therefore I am endangering there lives! :snapoutofit:That I was a horrible parent by risking their lives to hunt deer...............:budo:
We always have the kids in florescent orange, paired up with an adult when we go out. We always ask for access for anyone who hunts with us, we never bend the rules, and yes I hunt with my kids, but always safely.
Why does the fact I share my heritage of hunting and pass it on to the younger generation cause me to be a bad parent?:angry3:
It is not that this land contains giant deer, but really a favorite for taking a walk, or sitting in a tree stand, great for showing youngsters the ropes as it is an easy place to get to. It is not always about shooting things, it is nice to see game, and take others out to see the animals and how they feed and where they bed down. Learn about what they are hunting.
We have met several other hunters there, and always been courteous and friendly. Usually leaving them to hunt the section and we go elsewhere.
After a long discussion he admits that other hunters have been complaining to him and the neighbours .... finally agrees to access, but the kids cannot hunt. I politely leave my number and ask him and his brother to reconsider and call me tomorrow..... what is this world coming to?:scared:

Bassett
09-30-2010, 10:10 PM
too bad, im still a kid(14) and love the woods, hunting or not, keeps me outta toruble and doin mischeivous things.

your definately the opposite of a bad parent for trying to pass on our heritage and getting younger generations into the great world of hunting.

Elkaholic6
09-30-2010, 10:15 PM
That's really bad.. Makes no sense to me.

Sucks being 16 and trying to get permission on exclusive land, even when you have a known name.. :kap:

ishootbambi
09-30-2010, 10:18 PM
that super sucks haeli. dont let it bother you....find another place and do what you do. looking forward to your pics in the next few months.

220swifty
09-30-2010, 10:23 PM
Stopped at the cabin of a friends today, to ask about access to hunt on a piece of land we have hunted for six years. .... finally agrees to access, but the kids cannot hunt. I politely leave my number and ask him and his brother to reconsider and call me tomorrow..... what is this world coming to?:scared:

If you can't change his mind after a short discussion about how much safer the woods are than the streets, then reconsider the word i have made bold in your quote.

hunter10
09-30-2010, 10:24 PM
That sucks,

Usually landowners will allow access when you have kids!

AxeMan
09-30-2010, 10:24 PM
I would part ways with these guys. Move on. They are basically insulting you to the core.

coreya3212
09-30-2010, 10:38 PM
My dad started taking me when I was 7 and we went every year till I was 20. my only regret is that I havent hunted since then. Been 15 years and i am excited to get back into it. some of my best and fondest memories with my dad.

Keep taking your kids.

Stop Staring at my Rack
09-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Thanks everyone, especially you young guys, It is great to see the younger generation out there hunting!
that super sucks haeli. dont let it bother you....find another place and do what you do. looking forward to your pics in the next few months.

Bambi, thank you, I know there is more land out there, just venting after a crappy day. This is the second piece of land we have been denied access to, and it is frustrating.:angry3:
Usually by now I have all the deer patterned, know where they are and where they travel. This year I have spent most of my time in hospitals and doctor offices, doing test and more tests. It did not help that the last test they messed up and tore my throat and esophagus, and I declined anesthetic, so I got to feel that one.... :scared0015:So I have been unable to do much. I guess I am sick of being sick.:(
The medication does not help either....makes you very irritable...... Sorry to rant, just frustrated at life...but I know that it will all work out in the end and it will be a great season.
Yes we will go hunting, and we may have to find new areas, and as usual we will be blessed with some fine animals but seems like I am running into brick walls lately........ I miss being out there everyday....
I think I will go out tomorrow morning and sit in a tree stand, clear my head, maybe even see a deer or a moose, went out tuesday, with my daughter and we saw nothing, but it was great!!! :sHa_shakeshout:
You guys do not know how much I enjoy the stories and pics, next best thing to being out there , thank you for sharing your hunts, and exsperiences. Glad I can at least do that no matter how crappy I feel.....

WillyP
09-30-2010, 11:19 PM
You said this guy was a friend?:confused0024:

blacknorthernjk
09-30-2010, 11:36 PM
You are not a bad parent at all. In fact, in my humble opinion completely the opposite because you are active with your childrens lives. I commend you for this and say to you, don't let that situation put you down.

Stop Staring at my Rack
09-30-2010, 11:36 PM
You said this guy was a friend?:confused0024:

Well after knowing someone a few years, visiting with them quite a bit, looking after their place when they were in the hospital... I thought we were friends, after today.... well not sure what to say.... I guess people change and some friends come and go, and looks like this one of thoes, but I am still trying to give him the benifit of the doubt....known him a long time......his attitude towards me was definately not what I exspected.....but I would still be there if he needed help with something...... thats just how I am....

TreeGuy
09-30-2010, 11:38 PM
That's too bad H. I too have a little spot that's easy access that's all about getting the kids out. We haven't killed anything there, and will probably never. That's not the point though, is it? ;)

The fact of the matter likely lies in the fact that another hunter with permission (and a closer releationship with the landowner) saw a big buck in there and pulled some strings.

Spend a day in the stand, get centered, then focus on getting well. Like I told BBJ in another thread, there shall always be another hunting season, but there'll never be another H! Don't make me sic Mudbug on yer arse! :lol:

pottymouth
10-01-2010, 01:26 AM
That's B.S. Usually you hear the opposite from landowners when you take young people out. I've been told I can't hunt but I can accompany the young person I'm taking hunting anytime.

My suggestion is, if you are friends, maybe take the time and talk it out again, he could have been having one of those days.

I used have a land owner that depending on the year and his mood ( self induced ) he would scream and yell at you for asking, and then the next year call you up and ask why you didn't come by the year previous .

Everything happens for a reason, and karma works in cool very kool ways, you 'll see !!!

Jimboy
10-01-2010, 04:50 AM
Stopped at the cabin of a friends today, to ask about access to hunt on a piece of land we have hunted for six years. Only ever shot a doe and a cyote out there ourselves, but helped two young hunters get there first deer there.
He told us that we cannot have access this year because I hunt with children, therefore I am endangering there lives! :snapoutofit:That I was a horrible parent by risking their lives to hunt deer...............:budo:
We always have the kids in florescent orange, paired up with an adult when we go out. We always ask for access for anyone who hunts with us, we never bend the rules, and yes I hunt with my kids, but always safely.
Why does the fact I share my heritage of hunting and pass it on to the younger generation cause me to be a bad parent?:angry3:
It is not that this land contains giant deer, but really a favorite for taking a walk, or sitting in a tree stand, great for showing youngsters the ropes as it is an easy place to get to. It is not always about shooting things, it is nice to see game, and take others out to see the animals and how they feed and where they bed down. Learn about what they are hunting.
We have met several other hunters there, and always been courteous and friendly. Usually leaving them to hunt the section and we go elsewhere.
After a long discussion he admits that other hunters have been complaining to him and the neighbours .... finally agrees to access, but the kids cannot hunt. I politely leave my number and ask him and his brother to reconsider and call me tomorrow..... what is this world coming to?:scared:

JUST SAY TO HIM , Thats ok , l,ll leave the kids home alone and they can go to the 7/11 with their friends , smoke dope , run around all nite unsupervised , maybe they,ll have more fun breaking into cars and homes , maybe even have a chance at some real fun and get into some crack cocain.
That should make him scracth his stupid head.

ranstey
10-01-2010, 04:59 AM
This is part of the reason I miss hunting in Newfoundland. No need to ask permission, EVERYBODY is welcome to go and it is part of growing up. Why are people so uptight about guns and hunting anyway... when done in a safe and responsible mannor, there is nothing to worry about.

Would not hurt to teach the next generation some responsibility... seems a lot of them out there lost it along the way.

My $0.02

Grizzly Adams
10-01-2010, 07:54 AM
Simple possibility is, he might have been worried about liability issues. Obviously, others hunt there, as well. You can never be sure.

Grizz

Eze
10-01-2010, 08:21 AM

Your welcome to hunt on my land with the kids...

omega50
10-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Clearly the landowner is being lobbied by other hunters to limit your access. Is it possible that the other hunters are feeling threatened and want the property to themselves.
They create a non-existant problem and present it to the landowner and then reap the benefits while you pay the price.
Kinda steams me.

Sheep4ever
10-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Your welcome to hunt on my land with the kids...
I hear you friend. I know what you are going thru. Like other suggested, don't let this put you down, you are doing the right thing.

steve0
10-01-2010, 08:49 AM
I grew up hunting with my dad in Newfoundland, and when my girls are old enough I hope that they will come out and hunt with me. I hope to see more and more of the young generation take up any of the outdoorsmen activities rather then sitting in front of a computer all day or plugged into the network all the time.

It is good to unplug and get out in the fresh air and see the sites that Nature has to offer! Hunting or not, its great to get the kids outside, even better if you can take them up in the mountains or out in the bush for the day!

So much for their youngs minds to learn!

Stop Staring at my Rack
10-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Thanks guys! Hope he reconsiders, but where I go, so do the kids, and their friends, ect. So guess we will move on.... Thanks EZE, you never know we may take you up on the offer....

u_cant_rope_the_wind
10-01-2010, 09:05 AM
obviously the guy was born without a clue and practices hard everyday to keep it that way,
People LIKE THAT SHOULD HAVE TO WALK AROUND IN LIFE WTH STUPID PEOPLE SIGNS ATtATCHED TO THEMSELVES PERMANETLY:angry3:
it realy is ignorant of people to think that way,
my daughter gets the same crap from her hypocrate X motherinlaw(outlaw)
and is stopped several times dureing hunting season by other hunters who think what she is doing is an awsome thing, because they have never seen a woman out hunting alone espeacialy wth kids,
on the same token these people(x inlaws) who say its bad for kids to go hunting ,will let the same kids watch extreamly violent movies, containing everything thats not good for the young minds,(and its ok to tell the little girl that as long as their father stops along side the road and has a drink from his beer bottle thats not drinking and driveing) wonder who is realy teaching the young children rt from wrong and who is realy putting the kids in danger?? the mother who takes the kids out hunting and camping or the x motherin law(outlaw) and her drunkerd son)
HMMMMMMM go figure,
some people just have very low mentality and should wear a sign stateing so:sign0176:

Nationwide
10-01-2010, 09:21 AM
I personally don’t care for farmers or there land they can keep it .To give access one year and then the next year you only want to allow adults only wtf what a sad loss. As for helping him when in need it is funny how soon they forget Time to move on.

HillTophunter
10-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Had kind of the same thing happen to me. I went out to a piece of land that i've been allowed to hunt for the last 4 years. I stopped to talk to the owner as he was bailing. I told him i was there to ask for permission on his land for My dad and myself and i'd most likely bring a friend with me. He was more than willing to let my dad and I on there, but when i said about my friend coming out, he quickly shot out the name of my friend (usually hunt with him) and said that he really doesn't want him on the land. I politely asked why and what made up his mind so quick. Appearantly through the Rumour grape vine the owner was told that my buddy doesn't give a f**** and will shoot at anything and wreck fence and what ever else he can find. This couldn't be further from the truth! He is one of the most cautious people i know when it comes to other peoples property. I was pretty frustrated when i heard that, gave a speech on how respectable the guy actually was. Three days later I went out to do some spotting and had the landowner drive in (as he seen me) and finally give me permission to bring my friend. He explained hearing stories like that make a person weary of letting them on their land, but is willing to let my buddy "prove" himself. Someone has it out for my friend and starting talking smack losing him alot of oppurtunities..

yamaha 1
10-01-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm with omega50 and tree Guy, something does not smell right, I think there is more to this story. I thing there may be other hunters feeding the farmer some BS to get you out of there.....come on who would not let kids hunt with there parents and keep them off of there land because of it. Your friend is not much of a friend in my books. I hope you find some place better for your kids to hunt. :sign0111:

Okotokian
10-01-2010, 10:35 AM
I am endangering there lives! :snapoutofit:That I was a horrible parent by risking their lives to hunt deer

Did he really say that? "You are a horrible parent..."? Did he actually say you were endangering their lives? I'm not asking how you took it, but what he actually said.

but where I go, so do the kids, and their friends, ect
Sounds like we are talking a lot of kids (plural on both kids and friends). How many children and of what ages would you normally have with you? How many adults supervising? And how many kids were using firearms? This may have been the source of concern. Possible safety concerns, possible concerns of scaring game off, etc. Who knows?

Stopped at the cabin of a friends today, to ask about access to hunt on a piece of land we have hunted for six years....
I politely leave my number and ask him and his brother to reconsider and call me tomorrow.

I was sort of wondering how close of a friend he was given you don't have each other's phone numbers. Perhaps people are over-reacting to your use of the term "friend".

In any event, it's too bad the kids can't hunt there anymore. Sounds like others will be willing to let you on.

Shaggy
10-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Maybe when you said "Can I hunt with my kids on your land" he didn't hear the word "with".

Maybe stop by there next time when you don't have the kids and have an honest talk with him. He might have a justifiable reason in his own mind.

pitw
10-01-2010, 12:15 PM
I got's to ask, is the problem of your lack of access irritating you because of the excuse or just the lack of access? A landowner really doesn't need a reason to deny access so I'm just asking. Sometimes when people are told "No" they want a reason so a landowner comes up with one, then the offended party has a reason to rant.

mudbug
10-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Well I think your a great parent. A parent that actually spends quality time with their kids and gets to know their friends rates #1 in my books. :sHa_shakeshout:

sco22
10-01-2010, 02:49 PM
That is quite the indictment of your parenting skills. I wonder exactly what he was using as a reference in respect to what they could be doing instead? I don't just mean vandalizing property and smoking dope but how about just sitting around, playing video games, texting, etc. How a person who endorses hunting cannot grasp that young people need to learn about hunting from somewhere other that Big Buck Hunter 4 is beyond me.

We started taking my buddy's son when he was 10. At first he mostly watched, but started to get into some of it - the quadding, the glassing, etc. At 11, he got to carry his pellet gun so he could get used to carrying something and to learn how to safely carry a weapon without a big risk as it wasn't even loaded with a pellet. At 12 he took the an awesome week long course and now at 13 he is a regular addition to our small hunting group. Sure he still loves videos and gaming, but he loves this too. How can that possiblly hurt someone?

Anyhow, good for you SSAMR.

Cheers.

bezzola
10-01-2010, 09:40 PM
I have an aunt that calls me a bad parent cause i take my kids hunting

hockey1099
10-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Did he really say that? "You are a horrible parent..."? Did he actually say you were endangering their lives? I'm not asking how you took it, but what he actually said.

Sounds like we are talking a lot of kids (plural on both kids and friends). How many children and of what ages would you normally have with you? How many adults supervising? And how many kids were using firearms? This may have been the source of concern. Possible safety concerns, possible concerns of scaring game off, etc. Who knows?

I was sort of wondering how close of a friend he was given you don't have each other's phone numbers. Perhaps people are over-reacting to your use of the term "friend".

In any event, it's too bad the kids can't hunt there anymore. Sounds like others will be willing to let you on.

Look at you being all smart and actually reading the posts. Who looks after someones property when they havent even exchanged numbers?

Maybe his excuse is without merit and maybe that all it is. An excuse. maybe he doesnt want you or other hunters there.

Im one of the more liberal members on this board but i am hugely in favour of strong property rights. Its amazing how a large number of hunters forget there political leanings at this time of year and begin to favour a socialist view of farm/private land. ie everyone has the right to enter.

I can tell you as a lawyer i wouldnt let one single person on my land. The liability issues are too complex and while insurance would most likely cover any costs why bother going through the hassel. Imagine someone gets shot by one of the kids and the land owner failed to warn that hunter that children where present with fire arms. Guess what the land owner gets sued because the injured hunter wants money for his injuries and chances are the land owner has insurance and the kid doesnt.

Stop Staring at my Rack
10-02-2010, 02:37 AM
To answer a few questions.... Have never hunted with more than two bows or firearms at one time, that is enough to keep track of. No one is alone, always an adult to supervise all firearms, bows, and sometimes we just walk without a firearm with kids and first time hunters to let them have a chance to learn, look and listen to the wildlife around them. It is not just about shooting a gun , and chasing the animals. We did not fire one shot on this property last year. We did a lot more learning than doing.
As for me giving him my number, he does not live at the cabin yet, it is a work in progress. He had cancer and was hospitalized for a long while, had a cell phone that he misplaced with all contact numbers. I still had his number and the number where he was staying at, he lost mine....
There is also a lot of anamosity about the deer and moose I got last year. Seems like they think I am taking all the good ones out there . Have heard wild stories about how I illegally took my deer and moose, which there is absolutely no truth to these far fetched fairytales, but I guess if it makes them feel better.... Heaven forbid a woman knows how to hunt and does well at it....
We have also called report a poacher a few times, and I know some individuals knew who reported them. I do not care if they know it was us, they were the ones doing wrong, not us.... and thoes who do things illegally can give the rest of the hunters out there doing things right a bad rap. Plus I am trying to teach others about hunting and respecting the animals they hunt. How can I do this unless I do what is right? I always visit with the fish cops whenever we can, we play by the rules and I try to make sure that the kids and everyone who hunts with us respects the rules and thoes who enforce them.
It is only one piece of land. We have a ton of memories of the fun we had there and are thankful for the opportunity in the past to hunt there. I am fine walking away from the property and going else where, and I will still help the landowner if he needs it, after all we did not help him only because we wanted to hunt on his land, we did it because he needed help. Whatever his reasoning for his statements was is beyond me, but I do not have the time to worry about it , but I am sure someone else helped him make the decision....
We got permission today on new land, so a new adventure begins. Life is about change and no matter what it will always be this way.... so this change is diffucult to understand, but it also opens up a whole new opportunity in asking permission somewhere else....

Donny Bear
10-02-2010, 06:00 AM
Quit being a bad parent !!!

Leave the Kids at home.
Let thier minds and bodies rot in front of a TV.
Let them put themselves at risk of predation on the internet.

OH my word could this be a long list.

You are a great parent keep love them children keep taking them out and keep them away from twisted people that would question the ability of great parents who get thier children closer to God and Nature and spend time with them!

Have a Great season with your Children!!!

Pikebreath
10-02-2010, 07:11 AM
Okay, I agree that being told you can't hunt becuz of your kids is not particularily kosher,,,,, but from reading through your posts, I get the impression it is OTHER HUNTERS who may be neighbours or relatives or closer friends or whatever,,,, but just the same OTHER HUNTERS,,, who pressured the landowner to not give you permission anymore.

If you have somehow unintentionally stepped on some other hunter's toes that has a "better in" with the landowner than you have, why are we putting all the blame on the landowner for following the wishes of ANOTHER HUNTER!

Rack, you have handled the situation well, but as you have intimated the real issue is likely OTHER HUNTER(S) not wanting anyone else hunting that property and got the landowner on board. The kid thing may be a "red herring" perhaps designed to take the pressure off of saying no or "protect the identity" of the OTHER HUNTERS.

Believe it or not, as a landowner it is not always easy to say "no" to hunting requests to polite and responsible hunters. By the same token. unlimited, unrestricted acess for every hunter who asks is also a recipe for conflict when you get several requests.

I do believe it could have been handled better (the access question) but I also think this wasn't just the landowner's solo decision either.

Pikebreath
10-02-2010, 07:26 AM
I personally don’t care for farmers or there land they can keep it .To give access one year and then the next year you only want to allow adults only wtf what a sad loss. As for helping him when in need it is funny how soon they forget Time to move on.

It's attitudes like this that make farmers feel exactly the same way about hunters!

Sassy
10-02-2010, 11:54 AM
You are by NO MEANS a bad parent!! You are involved in your childrens lives!! How many parents out there don't do anything with thier kids anymore? How many leave their kids behind to play video games or surf the net while they go out hunting??

In my opinion, keep up the great work!! You'll be able to find better places that are more accepting to your great parenting..

T3man
10-02-2010, 12:12 PM
I grew up having my dad tell me I couldnt go out with the men hunting because I was to young and kids shouldnt go out hunting, almost didnt get into hunting at all and swore I would never tell my kids that, both of my girls love to go hunting and love it even more when i shoot something, my oldest girl is 12 now and cant wait to to get her first deer cant say how proud i am but if your anything like me you will be more proud of your children than you are upset about the land you wanted to take them to, try not to let it bother you if your into a road trip around Hinton there is lots of land and even more deer

AlbertaSasquatch
10-02-2010, 12:37 PM
I could only wish someone would have taken me out hunting when I was young. I never had that chance. I never got into hunting until I was in my late teens and made friends with some of country kids, and I have never looked back. But you can bet your bottom dollar that all three of my children will have that chance at a young age and if someone thinks that I am a bad parent, too bad for them. If my children then decide that hunting is not for them, that is fine too, but they will have that chance at least.

deerhuntercentral
10-02-2010, 01:38 PM
My son just turned 2 and I take him for drives looking for deer, chickens whatever, of course he's too small for serious hunting but he likes to go and I find he has less "issues" when I can get him away from his mom. It's unfortunate some people can't see the benefit in getting kids out to hunt and getting them interested. My hunting buddies daughter is 9 and the last 2 moose hunts she sat with us while we called and was there for the kills, she enjoys it.

Stop Staring at my Rack
10-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Thanks guys!
Great that so many take there kids out, one day I would love to set up a camp for kids to learn about hunting and the outdoors, two of my kids went to a hunting camp this year, so many of their friends would love to go, but cannot afford it..... I would love to help make a camp closer to home, so they could go too.

Mayhem42
10-02-2010, 11:00 PM
I hunt with my wife, my 6 year old son, my 5 year old daughter, my 3 year old daughter, and my 2 year old son. i take each of them with me once in a while to go 'Walking' hunting. I have 3 gun cabinets and way too many guns in hopes that one day they all need way too many guns... i too had this happen more than once and now have for the past three years hunted south of GP on crown land..."little boys who grow up hunting and trapping don't mug little ol' ladys" i read this once and though right on!
So don't let it discourage you and yours, have a great time enjoying part of canada's heritage and hopefully we'll pass by! (you might see the 6 year old playing his Nintendo DS from time to time but hey at least its while i'm taking to long 'looking for big bucks')

helluvahunter
10-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Well I think your a great parent as well.
I to have to ask, Is this guy really your friend?
I had kinda the same thing happen to me and the wife. Minus the kids
Stop buy my grandparents neighbour john's place one time [always heard from my grandparents that they were different],anyways we stopped by to ask permission for coyotes. They were really friendly and said yes just call first, no problem I said will do. We always called and went there and shot a few not disturbing anything else except the coyotes central nervous systems,:sHa_shakeshout: this being in the winter so hunting season was over already. Well the next year we asked for permission from this guys neighbour across the road to go and shoot some deer. My grandfather was very good friends with him and his dad so he says sure come on in. Well I didnt know how much of an ***** john the first nieghbour I mentioned could be until he seen us on joe's property and tried to kick us off. WHOA WHOA WHOA I said this is not your land this is joes land, john said you better have permission to hunt there because I will be calling him to see, and I said of course we do, WOW where did the attitude come from all of a sudden, I dont want to talk to you he said and he drove away. Mean while I find out from old joe that he doesn't like his neighbour john at all, john askes to hunt there every year and is denied because he is a dink, Which I found out. So this is our new whitetail honey hole. It turns out that we are killing some deer that would normally go into john's place for him to shoot. And it turns out that that is why he does not like us anymore [big deal] he even tried telling old joe that he seen us drinking out there last year while we were hunting, old joe know's better though and told him to stick it where the sun don't shine. I stopped to confront john after hearing about the drinking thing last year and he wouldn't even stop his truck that coward. He will get what's coming to him eventually. Next year my son will be coming along to shoot his first whitetail:sHa_shakeshout: so john will have another enemy and probably call fish and wildlife and say that I am taking an under aged kid out hunting or something. Well not exactly that same kinda story but that's my 2 cent's.

Beta-pg
10-04-2010, 08:58 AM
to quote my father... "Get your ar$e outdoors and let the stink blow off of ya!". As long as I wasn't sick or had homework, I was in the bush in NF. Then I went away to college and started my career and drifted away from hunting... and my father.

Have since found both again. First person I called after this weekend's hunt was my dad to tell him that I bagged my first buck!

Simply put, a family that plays together, stays together!

CR5
10-04-2010, 09:20 AM
First off, I don't think you are a bad parent for taking the kids with you. I took my 7 year old daughter out last year for her first time and she watched as I downed a little buck and my hunting partner and I gutted and tossed it in the back of the truck. She said she enjoyed the day and wanted to do it again this year.

I don't understand though why you are letting his denial of access bother you. He as the landowner has the right to deny access to anyone for any reason and there is nothing anyone can do about it.
If you want a piece of land where you can take the kids out and hunt every year without hastle then go buy some land and you can be the guy people call a jerk for turning them away.
Either that or start hunting crown land and take your chances with crossing paths with other hunters.

If I was the landowner and I read your post on here I would never let you hunt my land again.