PDA

View Full Version : Back from Africa!!!! PICS/STORY

tackleberry
10-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Hunter: Bryce Dillabough
Video: Walker Dillabough (brother)
Outfitter: The African Safari Co. (Ian Gloss & Dirk Du Plooy)

PH: Kobus Botha
Area: Makuti, Zimbabwe (Northeast of Lake Kariba)
Date of Hunt: Sept 11 - 26, 2010

Rifles:
Kreighoff 470 NE DR
ATRS Custom 416 Rigby

Species Taken:
Elephant Bull, Klipspringer, Zebra, Cape Buffalo, Bushbuck, Waterbuck, Tigerfish

Species Seen:
Sable, Reedbuck, Kudu, Steenbok, Grysbok, Duiker, Baboon, Impala, Hippo, Croc, Warthog, Bushpig

We spent the first two days relaxing at the Wild Geese Lodge on the edge of Harare. Which proved to be a great decision that allowed us to catch up on sleep and collect any lagging luggage. Luckily, all our rifles and baggage came when we did and our adventure was ready to begin.

Joined by family friend Brian and his wife Sandy, we headed to the Harare airport once again to catch our charter flight to Kariba, then off to camp via 'hunting car'. Kobus had us in camp with in an hour of landing. Almost as soon as we reached the outside of the airport, we had our first taste of the Tsetse fly! He would be our hunting companion for the next 16 days....oh joy!

We were greeted at camp by Trimor (waiter), with some ice cold Castle Beer, my new favorite. All of us had the were just soaking up every bit of the experience so far. The trip was already a success and we hadn't even started hunting.

Day 1:
Our mission was elephant. I made it clear that i was willing to spend as much time as possible hunting elephant, but to my surprise, they were everywhere. The hills and valleys were littered with elephant and spoor. The issue was finding the right bull. We spotted an amazing variety of game this first day, but made no stock on elephant.

Day 2:
Day of the Zebra. After a long bit of road clearing by the trackers we reached a part of the concession that had not been visited all year. Visions of monster bulls crossed my mind as we came around the last obstacle. Well, we saw plenty of elephant once again, but no big bulls. A tracker spotted a Zebra, alone, on a hillside. A decision was made to get after him. We came this far and a zebra would really be a great reward for all the hard work getting into this spot. We had him soon after a well planned stalk. What a beauty!

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae154/tackleberry911/Africa%202010/P1010853.jpg

Day 3:
Another morning spent hunting elephant. A lot of glassing the hill sides and valleys has taken place by now. The particular hillside we were on today had a fine klipspringer at the bottom of it. The decision was made to take him. Surprisingly the his fall off the rock did more damage to his fragile hide than the solid from my 416. He should still make a fine mount. What a cool little animal!

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae154/tackleberry911/Africa%202010/P1010867.jpg

Day 4:

Bluff charged by a big old toothless bull while evaluating one of his herd mates. That was enough for the trackers to scamper well off after telling the PH that we should do the same. Kobus shouted him down and we all went separate directions. What a rush!! This is what i came for! Unfortunately, his mate was not quite what we were looking for.

Day 5:
Christmas came early! We had to get a closer look at this guy. Once we got to him, Kobus said this is the one we should take. Was i ready?? I was as ready as i was ever going to be, but i tell you what...You are never ready for this unless you have done it. All the practice in the world does not prepare you for this opportunity. All the mental preparation, video review, studying of shot placement and visualization does not prepare you either. Now you feel only pressure and adrenaline rush. Now it is make or break. Can you make the brain shot? I was certain that i could, but i didn't. Luckily, i was able to make some great follow up shots. Kobus did also after i pleaded with him to shoot. He was down very soon. Celebration ensued!! I was in awe of this great animal. He had lived many more years than me and has probably seen many things in his life that i cannot even imagine. Including the work of some poachers at some point. You could see the healed holes of two previous bullets in his head from some time ago. What a shame.
Right side: 37lbs (61.5")
Left side: 33lbs

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae154/tackleberry911/Africa%202010/P1010900.jpg

Day 6:
Well now that we had our elephant, we could concentrate on the remaining 2 days that Walker had on his hunting time for Buffalo. It took all of 2 hours of hunting to come up with a nice bull for him. I had the video camera this time and got some great footage of his even better shooting. No mistakes, this bull went down quick. Great shooting Walker and nice bull to boot!

Day 7:
Finding a Dugga Boy in spot where we can evaluate him and get a shot was going to be difficult. I was surprised, even after all i have read about how smart they are. Several tracking attempts were thwarted by the long grass or crossing in to neighboring concessions.

Day 8:
Kobus was on to a bush buck earlier in the year that was a good representation of the area. Our goal was to seek him out on foot along the river bed in which he was expected to be living. All of about 30 steps from our drop-off point were all that were needed on that mid-day trek to find our quarry. This one happened very quickly. Not so quick that Walker didn't get the camera shot, but quick enough for him to ask what the hell did we just shoot!?

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae154/tackleberry911/Africa%202010/P1010951.jpg

Day 9, 10:
Remember what i said about the Dugga Boys earlier? Well these last two days were again sobering as we hunted hard for an old guy with no luck.

Day 11:

We went back to a spot that the group of Dugga Boys were hanging out. A spot where we had seen a beauty a couple days earlier. Today, we caught them red handed. Once we identified the 'One' it took a little coaxing to get him to stand in a spot where i could get a clear shot. Once we did, i made a good shot. Everyone was excited about this guy. He was a grand old bull with a huge, light grey body. A true Dugga Boy! I couldn't be happier! Was this really coming true. My expectations for game have been exceeded many times over, i had an elephant, and now this.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae154/tackleberry911/Africa%202010/P1010981.jpg

Day 12, 13:
The Kudu were being tricky and we turned down a couple of 51" bulls, but mostly we were after waterbuck. We had been in their back yard for the last couple days, but the rough terrain and time of day restricted us on one nice bull.

Day 14:
A waterbuck bull that we had spotted a couple days ago re-appeared mid morning. He was heading for the hills and i thought for sure he was gone, when all of a sudden he held up in some river bottom bush. There was a cow there and it held him long enough for a quick, walking shot at about 100yrds. I made good of that opportunity and suddenly realized that i was definitely going to have to wire more money for the trophy fees than i had prior to the hunt! Oh well, it was worth it.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae154/tackleberry911/Africa%202010/P1020031.jpg

Day 15:
Our plan was to head to the Zambezi for a day on the river, fishing for Tigers. This was one of Kobus's favorite past times when not hunting, so it was like a little vacation for him too. I had no idea what to expect other than that we may not even land a fish today, but i didn't really matter, there were so many other sites. All of a sudden...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...the reel sang and stopped, then sang again. Holy Crap! This is intense fishing. They forgot to tell me that it wasn't the strikes that were hard to come by, it was the hooking of the fish that was tricky. After my 4th strike of the day, i managed to get a hold of one....and fight! He was a 9lb Tiger and the trackers could not wait to cook him up for dinner. Sorry i don't have a picture of this guy, he is on my bro's video camera though, so i will try to add a still frame from that at some point. We also spotted a 60lb elephant on the shore in the late evening. He had Kobus drooling like fat kid over chocolate donut!

Day 16:
We hunted the morning then spent the rest of the day relaxing and filling out the oh-so-important paper work. Dropped the scouts off back to their camps and endulged in a few too many drinks that evening. My arm is still sore from the arm wrestling that ensued at the end of the night.

That pretty much wraps it up. It is hard to include all that you see in such few words and few pictures. All i can say is that the PH's, trackers, camp staff and hunting companions were all top notch. The experience was unforgettable. I hope anyone that wants to do it can one day. I hope that i never take this experience or these animals for granted. It truly has been a dream come true for me and i am so happy to be able to share it. Good luck to all of you on your adventures!!

jaylow?
10-01-2010, 12:10 PM
wow! trip of a life time. way to go. most people will only dream of a hunt like that. good on ya for getting it done!

rookiemoosehunter
10-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Great Story and pics. Sounds like a trip of a lifetime.

nube
10-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Great report! Good outfitter to boot as well. You went with one of the best. See any monster Kudu while there?

sickfast
10-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Some day some day!!! I hope i can enjoy that kind of hunt!!!! Thanks for the great pictures and story... :sHa_shakeshout:

walleyechaser
10-01-2010, 12:42 PM
awesome adventure. that ultimate hunting challenge: the african elephant, what a accomplishment. one day hope I too can go on one of these hunts. I'm sure it makes you want t go back for more, maybe another buff or spending a couple nights in a small blind waiting for lion or leopard.

Chet
10-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Nice report little bro. The sat phone reports that we got through the trip were great but it sure is nice to see the pics! Congrats again!

Rockymtnx
10-01-2010, 12:53 PM
CONGRATS Bryce!
You took some awesome animals. Great pics to boot.
Thanks for taking the time to share your story and pictures with us.
AWESOME!

PS I hope you got a deal on that gun. The gun maker put the bolt handle on the wrong side. ;)

209x50
10-01-2010, 01:16 PM
GREAT hunt!

bunnyhunter
10-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Totally ENVY your great dream hunt!~thanks for sharing an exotic hunt. Just out of curiosity, did you get to taste any of those beasties?

Do the guides or locals get the rest of the meat...not like you fly elephant steaks home lol! I have heard some of these hunts, you can have a prepared meal of your game, then the rest goes to the community. We had that on a fishing trip in hawaii for big tuna...we got steaks for the BBQ and the fishermen got the rest to sell.

again, cool cool hunt!
Jen

pottymouth
10-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Amazing report and great pics ! Congrats on a great adventure. What a fantastic Cape buffalo, always wanted one. Watching all the elephant hunts and their intensity on video, I couldn't patham what that moment was like for you!! congrats again.

Rackmastr
10-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Great pics man!!! Thanks for the report!

goober
10-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Sounds like a fantastic trip!!!! Great pics!!! Congrats!!!

hayseed
10-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Great story and pics, what an adventure of a lifetime....congrats on all your trophies!! Dont be afraid to post more pics.

TreeGuy
10-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Well Tackleberry, I enjoyed this thread as much as the last two Police Academy movies combined! :lol:

Congrats on the trip of a lifetime, and thanks so much for making the effort to share your dream adventure with us. :)

So that elephant.........gonna do a rug or go the full mount route? :lol:

Erik
10-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Great stories. Got me wanting to get back to Africa and I've barely stepped off the plane.

How big were the concessions?

Rocks
10-01-2010, 06:58 PM
I'm jealous, that is a dream hunt right there. Elephant is on my bucket list, cool to see the occasional guy get one. Great animals, and pictures, and story. Congrats!

Bobby B.
10-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Great report and photos! It sure gives me the itch to get over there and hunt those big guys.

Bobby B.

fluxcore
10-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Looks like a great hunt, I couldn't see myself shooting an elephant though (watched a cool documentary) but to each his own. congrats on scratching a few off the bucket list.

slopeshunter
10-02-2010, 08:59 AM
Congratulations Bryce! What an awesome adventure.

Sassy
10-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Wow, it sure looks like you guys had an amazing time... I myself have been down to South Africa, but I wasn't there on a hunting trip... I cannot wait to go back only this time to get some hunting in as well!! Great pics and great story!

gunslinger
10-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Great report for sure, awsome pics, man i think im going to have to go back there one more time , them cape buffalo are deffintly on my list to do.

AB2506
10-02-2010, 03:09 PM
What a trip! Congratulations on some fantastic trophies. Have you been to Africa before? Your safari and choice of armament is not the usual first-timer's.

Anyways, congratulations!

mudkid
10-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Congrats Bryce!!!!!
One heck of an experience and story!

BANG
10-03-2010, 09:28 AM
awsome!
good job!

tackleberry
10-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks for all the comments! To answer a few questions:

This was my first trip to africa. I will go back when i can afford to again.

The concession was huge and there are no fences between any of the concessions. Ours was about 90km long and 50 km wide.

We did get to taste each of the animals we shot. All were excellent! The elephant has a great taste, it is just very, very tough. The trackers and camp staff saved all the meat of the animals. A lot of times, they will give it to friends and relatives that are close by. Much of it is dried and seasoned. They call it Billtong. It is basically Africas version of jerky. It is pretty tough also, but good. The excess elephant meat was sold to a local croc farmer. Although the locals really like the elephant meat, there are just not enough people around to take it, so it is utilized by the croc farmer.

We did see some decent Kudu. I did not get a shot at one and we passed up two other 51" bulls. A friend that also accompanied us on the trip, did get a Kudu. It was 54". The area is Really good for buffalo. There are a lot of nice old guys there.

Stop Staring at my Rack
10-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Looks like you had a great hunt! Congratulations on the fine trophies!!

Duk Dog
10-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Congrats Bryce. Kudos for being able to make your dream hunt happen. I'm sure it was well worth it. Awesome to be able to capture it on film as well.

MuleyMonster
10-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Great to finally hear the whole story and account of the days. Cannot wait to see the mounts when they coming in as pictures cannot fully show the true beauty of these animals. Congratulations again.

SugarCreek
10-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Great story and fantastic field photos. The water buck would be on the top of my list of animals to go after. You got a great one. Congrats......Marco

sheephunter
10-05-2010, 11:36 AM
What an awesome trip Bryce....congrats on all the great trophies. We just got all our back a couple weeks ago. Now all I can think about is going again. Your pics didn't help quell that at all!