PDA

View Full Version : awesome antelope

ishootbambi
10-01-2010, 08:05 PM
just got home from todays hunt.....who wants to see some pics of a truly unique antelope. some great horns on this beast. one is a good inch shorter than the other, but a superb trophy all the same. i have to upload and get em up.......coming soon.......

Drop_Tine
10-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Get them uploaded I want to see. ... :sHa_shakeshout:

220swifty
10-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Packhuntr want's to see pics.............:scared0018::scared0018:

ishootbambi
10-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Packhuntr want's to see pics.............:scared0018::scared0018:

i bet he does......im wondering why he hasnt posted when he has told us what he and his crew have taken? im working on it.....having issues. coming soon, i promise.

buckslayer1
10-01-2010, 09:26 PM
This is great.. I sure want to see his 84"s of Antelope.He probably ran it over with the truck.That is why he needs a cape.

redranger15
10-01-2010, 09:28 PM
What's the hold up? We wanna see this thing man.

ishootbambi
10-01-2010, 09:35 PM
so here they come. its a small world out there. anyone remember Justin C? i ran into him on thursday morning. turns out he had one of the few non trophy tags for 144, 142, 138. i saw non trophy my roody poo candy arse. look at the horns on this old girl. 3 inches on the one side, inch and a half on the other. pics dont show it real well, but it even has prongs on both sides. i wasnt packing a tape, but im guessing it must gross around 10. i dont know who keeps track of such things, but im declaring it the world record antelope doe for now. if anyone has one bigger id like to see it. Justin said he had been practicing all summer at shooting out to 800 yards, but 600 would be his max to ensure a clean kill. well, we looked over a few that he thought were much too close, and when we saw the horns on this critter, we knew she was the one. so we headed in the opposite direction to egt a nice even 600. it was a ways to go as we started at 60, but we got where we needed to be. wind was almost zero....negligible anyhow...and as Justin settled in behind the 7mm RUM and got the bipod adjusted just right, i plugged my ears for the death wave that i knew was coming. he has a brake on that cannon, and although i cant stand them.....i dont blame him. after a few seconds of settling in......KABOOM!!! well.....just like best of the west tv, after a pause for bullet travel.....thump and down she went. the shot wasnt perfect.....the berger struck about 4 inches right of where he said he aimed....but a one shot kill all the same. i will say i was impressed. he said he was more than capable at that range, but i wasnt as sure as he was. if you ask me, it is an awesome antelope and a unique one of a kind trophy. i know you are creeping this site Justin.....congrats on your prize.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/ishootbambi/P1011662.jpg

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/ishootbambi/P1011668.jpg

steve
10-01-2010, 09:39 PM
Nice!

redranger15
10-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Very good .Now your other post on the other thread makes sence. Had me hook line and sinker as they say.

redranger15
10-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Oh yah and this.:party0052:

deanmc
10-01-2010, 10:15 PM
A:sHa_sarcasticlol:wesome story.

220swifty
10-01-2010, 10:48 PM
I will be stomping around 152 next week, and will see if i can top that. Might not beat the range, but i will try and go for a more balanced set of headgear.:sHa_shakeshout:

AB2506
10-01-2010, 11:40 PM
Definitely a non-typical.

Traps
10-02-2010, 07:31 AM
Save the long shots for the range, if your presented with 60 yards take the clean ethical kill shot. A 5 mph wind can drift your bullet 12" easily at 600 yards. Not something to brag about.

220swifty
10-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Save the long shots for the range, if your presented with 60 yards take the clean ethical kill shot. A 5 mph wind can drift your bullet 12" easily at 600 yards. Not something to brag about.

If the guy had really practiced and was comfortable to 900 yds, then 600 yds would be a pretty ethical shot, no. If you just want to bash another's methods (even though they resulted in a clean, humane kill) then you should maybe think twice and keep your Traps shut.

For the record, I have only shot my rifle to 300 as today, and intend to spend a day and more than a few rounds shooting to 500 the day before the hunt, although i doubt it will make me confident enough to hunt to 500, i will set my threshold at the end of that day.

Traps
10-02-2010, 10:53 AM
If the guy had really practiced and was comfortable to 900 yds, then 600 yds would be a pretty ethical shot, no. If you just want to bash another's methods (even though they resulted in a clean, humane kill) then you should maybe think twice and keep your Traps shut.

For the record, I have only shot my rifle to 300 as today, and intend to spend a day and more than a few rounds shooting to 500 the day before the hunt, although i doubt it will make me confident enough to hunt to 500, i will set my threshold at the end of that day.

Ethical is shooting from the best position and state to produce a humane kill, in this case at 60 yards. The shot was 4" back from where aimed, at 60 yards this would have been 0.4" back. The only reason to go back to 600 yards was to boast about it, IMO no respect was given to the animal hunted. Your introducing more risk in having the animal injured. Lets play this out in a hypothetical situation, your the doe - what would you choose, a slow and painful death or a quick one?

To address the method your going to use to find your shooting threshold. Your going to judge your threshold at the end of the day before the hunt by practicing to 500? Days change as does the wind and your physical state during the hunt. You don't know your threshold a day before the hunt, if your confident out to 300 that is your threshold regardless of what you did the day before.

I am not going to keep my Traps shut when this boasting does nothing to improve how the public sees us.

diamonddave
10-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Traps.... Believe nothing you read and only 50% of what you actually see. Thanks for the laugh bambi.

buckslayer1
10-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Ethical is shooting from the best position and state to produce a humane kill, in this case at 60 yards. The shot was 4" back from where aimed, at 60 yards this would have been 0.4" back. The only reason to go back to 600 yards was to boast about it, IMO no respect was given to the animal hunted. Your introducing more risk in having the animal injured. Lets play this out in a hypothetical situation, your the doe - what would you choose, a slow and painful death or a quick one?

To address the method your going to use to find your shooting threshold. Your going to judge your threshold at the end of the day before the hunt by practicing to 500? Days change as does the wind and your physical state during the hunt. You don't know your threshold a day before the hunt, if your confident out to 300 that is your threshold regardless of what you did the day before.

I am not going to keep my Traps shut when this boasting does nothing to improve how the public sees us.

Hey bud what are you trying to say? If you cant do it no one can??? If the poster shot 500 shells out to 800-1000 yards in all types of conditions.Also has a wind spead reader and all other gadgets to make it ETHICAL... Would this not be just like the 60 yard shot? Also as Bambi said 4".Which is F all that.It is still 1/3 of a pie plate.Still a humaine kill shot. I agree with other poster.Zip it. If you want to complain send a letter to the best of the west.Also I personally know of kill shots that make this look like a joke as 1200-1600 yards.Now that is a different story.

Congrats to the poster and Bambi on the hunt and a cool animal.

220swifty
10-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Consider it this way Traps, you have shelled out $3000 dollars on rifle and scope, and spent many more dollars, as well as your time, buying ammunition, or components, and burning them up practicing. You do all this simply to hunt one of your favorite quarry, the pronghorn antelope. This is something you get to do every 3 or 4 years, if you play your draws correctly. Now, you get to finally use that rifle on your intended target, and you are slightly dissapointed that the shot is only 60 yds, you could have done that with the mod 94 that your grandpa left you. You opt to step back a bit and take a long range shot that you know you can make, but will have to put effort into it.

For some of us, we aren't just out to harvest meat, we put alot of time and money into our sport and sometimes neglect our family. To go out and pop the first doe we see at 60 yds would be anti-climactic, and honestly, a bit dissapointing. By your logic of taking the first ethical clean shot available, all the guys who have been looking for that perfect rack are un-ethical slobs. Most of the antlered critters i have harvested were not the first easy shot i came across, and i have passed up several legal animals inside 100 yds because they were not what i was after, only to take a tougher shot (successfully) on the one that would best fill my tag.

You better not have ever missed an animal in your life, either, because that would make you a hypocrite.:thinking-006:

elkhunter1234
10-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Thiers know way that speeder will make 10", I can only come up with 8 3/8" from the pictures,she's lacking both mass and cutters, but i know pictures can be deceiving sometimes... Thanks for the laugh...

whitetail Junkie
10-02-2010, 10:37 PM
:lol::lol: You got me,too funny!!!

Geez even the Doe's in WMU 144 Have big Horns!!!
That is Truely A Trophy,non-trophy Antelope:wave:

ishootbambi
10-02-2010, 10:48 PM
the owner has the cape off and will email me some pics. you will be able to see the prongs then....it may be better than 10! 144 even has does with big horns...........woooooohooooo!!!

there is way more to the story that went into that day as well......more pics and tales will come tomorrow.

nube
10-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Good on the guy for making a good shot. At least he knew what he was doing unlike half the guys out there that would attempt a shot like that

Traps
10-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Swifty

I am not judging people that trophy hunt. If you want to wait it out to take a larger specimen or to spend more time in the field then great - to each their own. But the difference here is a concious decision was made to harvest that animal at 600 versus 60. If this animal was a trophy of a lifetime do you think he would have backed up to 600 yards? There is a difference in what is presented to you and what you choose to exercise.

If I was a hypocrite then I would have said something like a hunter should never miss an animal. I have missed an animal and because of that it has made me a better marksman and a better judge of my capabilities - a concept that all hunters should be aware of, not just going out the day before the hunt to test your range.

buckslayer1
10-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Swifty

I am not judging people that trophy hunt. If you want to wait it out to take a larger specimen or to spend more time in the field then great - to each their own. But the difference here is a concious decision was made to harvest that animal at 600 versus 60. If this animal was a trophy of a lifetime do you think he would have backed up to 600 yards? There is a difference in what is presented to you and what you choose to exercise.

If I was a hypocrite then I would have said something like a hunter should never miss an animal. I have missed an animal and because of that it has made me a better marksman and a better judge of my capabilities - a concept that all hunters should be aware of, not just going out the day before the hunt to test your range.
The poster stated the shooter had done LOTS of practice. I still dont understand what your problem is on this topic.The hunter might have wanted that long shot to make it a trophy to him. I really dont understand the probem here. He did all to ensure a proper kill doing what he wanted. I think you should not belittle the guy for wanting to make a long shot that sounds like he was more than capable of making.:sign0176:

220swifty
10-03-2010, 03:53 PM
The poster stated the shooter had done LOTS of practice. I still dont understand what your problem is on this topic.The hunter might have wanted that long shot to make it a trophy to him. I really dont understand the probem here. He did all to ensure a proper kill doing what he wanted. I think you should not belittle the guy for wanting to make a long shot that sounds like he was more than capable of making.:sign0176:

exactly

JustinC 2
10-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Save the long shots for the range, if your presented with 60 yards take the clean ethical kill shot. A 5 mph wind can drift your bullet 12" easily at 600 yards. Not something to brag about.I can make that shot everyday of the week. Even if there is a 20mph wind I turn my turret to compesate for it. Just cause you cant do something dont come on here and try to put me down.I am very happy with this goat as it my fifth one.2nd non trophy.I also shot my last on @ 550yards. So this aint my first Rodeo but thanks.Also my gun is a .25moa groups all day long. :argue2::snapoutofit:

Like 220swifty said be a hipocrit somewhere else.

honda450
10-03-2010, 06:30 PM
I can make that shot everyday of the week. Even if there is a 20mph wind I turn my turret to compesate for it. Just cause you cant do something dont come on here and try to put me down.I am very happy with this goat as it my fifth one.2nd non trophy.I also shot my last on @ 550yards. So this aint my first Rodeo but thanks.Also my gun is a .25moa groups all day long. :argue2::snapoutofit:

Thought you were banned from this site?

New Hunter Okotoks
10-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Thiers know way that speeder will make 10", I can only come up with 8 3/8" from the pictures,she's lacking both mass and cutters, but i know pictures can be deceiving sometimes... Thanks for the laugh...

LOL!!!!
I figured at first these HAD to have been photoshopped.But yeah I see what your saying.I think it has got a chance at GROSSING 10" but your 8 3/8 will probably be bang on for Net after drying.Probably would have had a good shot at going book in another year with good nourishment and a mild winter.

Traps
10-03-2010, 07:46 PM
I can make that shot everyday of the week. Even if there is a 20mph wind I turn my turret to compesate for it. Just cause you cant do something dont come on here and try to put me down.I am very happy with this goat as it my fifth one.2nd non trophy.I also shot my last on @ 550yards. So this aint my first Rodeo but thanks.Also my gun is a .25moa groups all day long. :argue2::snapoutofit:

0.25 moa all day long yet you were 4" off your mark, at 600 yards that is 1.25" yet at 60 yards it would have been 0.4"...... and you were saying something about being a hypocrite?

pitw
10-03-2010, 07:55 PM
0.25 moa all day long yet you were 4" off your mark, at 600 yards that is 1.25" yet at 60 yards it would have been 0.4"...... and you were saying something about being a hypocrite?

Traps it isn't worth it as some have shown they have less class than you.

JustinC 2
10-03-2010, 07:59 PM
I did not realize that one shot was a group. I was about 2.5" off my mark. I bet you could not have even hit it if it was 300 how you talk. Also I should have compensated a click or two for wind.I have hit a 12 x12 plate every time I have shot at it at 600. That is why that was my max. I don't need you telling me what is write or wrong. So as stated already. Shut your traps.

Arn?Narn.
10-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Nice animal ,..nice shot.

As for the range and choices made,...

They are different from those that I would I make.

If I were competent to 600 yrds and an animal presented at 600 yrds,...obviously I would take the shot if the conditions were right.

If the animal I wanted presented at 60 yrds, I wouldn't back off to 600 yrds.

The only reason to do such is the prove marksmanship and in *my oppinion backing off from 60 yrds to 600 yrds to take a shot has nothing to do with hunting,...it is not hunting,..it is shooting.

First time it ever happened,..nope.

I know a guy who drove up to a Whitetail doe,...look at her,...look around..size it all up and drive back to 800 yrds on a side road, and the out into an open field...
Not for me,...
I'd prefer he shot the deer at the 100 yrds he saw it at and then put a waterjug there and attempted the shot...

He clean missed three times, though I have seen him punch paper...
deer didn't move... 4th shot was DRT

Whether you are shooting a $5000 rig or not,...the error margin is higher.

I practice at long ranges for when it is might be required,..and I think that's what has the less than .01% a little peeved...it wasn't required.

In short, it's your tag and each man has his own morals(1) and the hunting community has it's collective ethics(2) and F&W has it's laws and
regulations(3)...
as long as number 3 is being followed,...you need only worry about number 1and if you choose to talk about it, be prepared for number 2, and everyone else's number 1...

LOL

Like I said,..good shot,..nice animal...

:sHa_shakeshout:

JustinC 2
10-03-2010, 08:04 PM
How is that? No one has done wrong other than mister traps. I think you need to come up with something constuctie to say or say nothing at all.

redranger15
10-03-2010, 09:01 PM
I think that if the animal you are hunting gives you a shot at 60 yards you take it. Backing up to 600 to be a hero is stupid, I don't care how good of a shot you are. I think most HUNTERS would agree with me.

JustinC 2
10-03-2010, 09:12 PM
I think that if the animal you are hunting gives you a shot at 60 yards you take it. Backing up to 600 to be a hero is stupid, I don't care how good of a shot you are. I think most HUNTERS would agree with me.I have shot almost all my animals for 5- 200 yards. I have shot 90% with my bow. I am now in to long range hunting. I would not have shot it @ 60 yards for nothing. Even if that not getting one. Like I have said them to there own.

packhuntr
10-03-2010, 09:14 PM
I think that if the animal you are hunting gives you a shot at 60 yards you take it. Backing up to 600 to be a hero is stupid, I don't care how good of a shot you are. I think most HUNTERS would agree with me.

Yessir. Id agree with that.

Edit. If one can drive up to 60 with an uneducated one, desiring a challenge is absolutely understandably desirable. Move on and take any of the does encompasing the zone,,, namely pick on a smart old doe that is on the run at a mile and a half. Beat thier eye, easier said than done. The real challenge with a nontrophy tag like that would be getting close and picking a young doe out of a herd with a smart old proven baby making matriarch doe in it. Congrats on the doe at any rate, but with a herd in serious jeapordy, wouldnt a young unproven mother be a better option for the tag??

New Hunter Okotoks
10-03-2010, 09:14 PM
I just don't get the argument here. The guy is obviously a VERY competent shooter and is very comfortable at that range.The results prove it.If it is just about taking ethical shots (that apparently are deemed ethical or not by people not even there) and shooting meat, then should we shoot sitting ducks to ensure a clean kill?

So for arguments sake,do some of you think that at 60 yards he should have tried to be even more ethical and tried to sneak to within 45 yards,maybe 30?How about 20 if the wind was right.

Maybe for this individual taking a shot 600 yard is the same as an average guy taking at shot 100;It's just a sure thing.

Anyways,hell of a shot.I think I have the gear but just need to work on the talent to make shots like that happen.

JustinC 2
10-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Yessir. Id agree with that.

Edit. If one can drive up to 60 with an uneducated one, desiring a challenge is absolutely understandably desirable. Move on and take any of the does encompasing the zone,,, namely pick on a smart old doe that is on the run at a mile and a half. Beat thier eye, easier said than done. The real challenge with a nontrophy tag like that would be getting close and picking a young doe out of a herd with a smart old proven baby making matriarch doe in it. Congrats on the doe at any rate, but with a herd in serious jeapordy, wouldnt a young unproven mother be a better option for the tag??
So why is the one I shot not ok? They gave out 5 tags for the first and 5 for second season. I saw so many antelope in the few days I was down there I don't understand how they are in jeapordy. Thanks for all the good comments and -------- to the bad.

sheephunter
10-04-2010, 08:37 AM
Yikes Justin...back for a day and already in the middle of a scrap....nice antelope.....sounds like some good shooting.

JustinC 2
10-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Yikes Justin...back for a day and already in the middle of a scrap....nice antelope.....sounds like some good shooting.thanks for the nice comments TJ. I am on here to defend myself. I did nothing wrong. I just took a long shot instead of a bow shot range. If my bow would have been in the truck I would have shot it with that. Sweet dall sheep in your pic.

sheephunter
10-04-2010, 12:22 PM
thanks for the nice comments TJ. I am on here to defend myself. I did nothing wrong. I just took a long shot instead of a bow shot range. If my bow would have been in the truck I would have shot it with that. Sweet dall sheep in your pic.

oh well, some folks will just never cotton to the idea of long-range shooting...best get used to it! We're off on the weekend to lay out a couple long-range lopers as well.

Deer Hunter
10-04-2010, 12:54 PM

Agreed. :happy0034:

JustinC 2
10-04-2010, 01:04 PM
oh well, some folks will just never cotton to the idea of long-range shooting...best get used to it! We're off on the weekend to lay out a couple long-range lopers as well.ya I notice they sure don't. I also could care less. If I was wounding stuff I would understand. But I am not. Good luck to you and who ever you are going with. What zones are you going to?

Arn?Narn.
10-04-2010, 02:50 PM
oh well, some folks will just never cotton to the idea of long-range shooting...best get used to it! We're off on the weekend to lay out a couple long-range lopers as well.

I have to ask TJ...

Would you back off an animal from 60 yrds to 600yrds, as Justin C did, just so as to present yourself with a long range shot on the animal? (or 40 yrds to 400yrds) assume your competent at the extended range....

curious...

sheephunter
10-04-2010, 02:55 PM
I have to ask TJ...

Would you back off an animal from 60 yrds to 600yrds, as Justin C did, just so as to present yourself with a long range shot on the animal? (or 40 yrds to 400yrds) assume your competent at the extended range....

curious...

No, likely not but I wouldn't judge someone that did......assuming they are competent at extended ranges of course. Sometimes it is fun to try out newly acquired skills...in an ethical manner of course.

sheephunter
10-04-2010, 02:57 PM
ya I notice they sure don't. I also could care less.

LOL...obviously you do care or you wouldn't have created a new profile to defend yourself. Welcome back....I think..............

echo
10-04-2010, 06:58 PM
[

220swifty
10-04-2010, 07:28 PM

That was a pretty low blow, considering the amount of class it takes to jump in on a thread and stard chastising the hunter in question, even though everything he did was legal, and the end result was desireable. Loads of class, really.:thinking-006:

ishootbambi
10-06-2010, 12:51 AM
well traps, i used to think that way. it bothers me that on best of the west tv that they hand a guy a gun who has never shot at that range and coach him through it. justin said he practiced lots and when the time came it was a one shot kill. i guess i should have added a sarcastic emoticon of some sort when i said the shot wasnt perfect at 4 inches off. :thinking-006: whatever. i dont know how a kill can be more clean or ethical than a one shot kill that was bang flop? she was dead when we got over there....whaddya want?

as for the rest of the hunt.....we saw some super cool things and had a freakin pile of fun. ill throw up some more pics tomorrow, im tired for now.

Jrbiggamehunter
10-06-2010, 06:16 AM
Don't see any point shooting a antelope doe it's not like you can eat that garbage.

ishootbambi
10-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Don't see any point shooting a antelope doe it's not like you can eat that garbage.

im with you jr....but some guys like blondes and some brunettes. everyone has different tastes and thats ok, ive met more than a few people who think antelope are the best eating animal around.

so, after boning out that goat and getting her in a cooler on ice, we went off in search of some puddles for a little jump shooting on ducks. we were doing alright when we noticed a herd off antelope off in the distance. a quick look through the binos showed a pair of bucks feuding over a group of ladies. we decided to mosey on over to see what they looked like. as we got within about 100 yards it dawned on us that they werent just fighting......THEY WERE LOCKED!!!!! our first reaction was that it was about the coolest thing we ever saw. after a minute or 2 of just watching in awe, we began to think about how we might help get them unstuck. we had no idea how long they were going at it, but they were obviously verry tired. the fight was not about who was bigger, but just about getting apart. it was clear that they had plenty of energy to kick the crap out of us. we are both over 200 pound guys, but we would have been outmatched badly. so i got on the phone looking for some help from guys who lived close by. with the harvest underway, no answer form anyone close. well, we decided to walk out to the bucks and try to get a couple pics and then decide if we were brave enough to try and tackle them down. as soon as we opened the truck doors, and about 10 minutes after we pulled up, the bigger buck thrw the smaller one up over his head and gave him the wildest suplex i had ever seen. he rested about 10 seconds and did it again. well that made the decision real easy for me.....im not wrestling either one!!! then with a flurry of tossing and shaking, somehow they separated!!! i was quite happy to see that, but a little disappointed that we got no pics of it. the bigger buck went over to the girls and laid down, while the little guy walked our way. he looked so ragged and beat, that i didnt try to get any closer for pics. he was so stressed by that point that if a coyote came along looking for meal, i dont think he could have fought him off....and no way he would outrun one. we left them alone immediately.

as for the waterfowl....by the end of the day we finished one duck shy of a limit and even got some geese by jumping puddles. that doesnt happen every day. we didnt think to snap pics until it was all done, but we finished with a mixed bag of teal, goldeneyes, widgeons, mallards and a redheaded thing that we arent exactly sure of its species. it was easily the most fun day of hunting i had last week.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/ishootbambi/P1011677.jpg

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/ishootbambi/P1011683.jpg

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/ishootbambi/P1011679.jpg

hey justin....i cant enlarge the pics of the skull. hotmail shrunk them and i dont know how to fix it. can you throw them up? initial score has that doe at around 20 gross.....it has to be the world record for a doe. if anyone has a bigger one, please post some pics.

JustinC 2
10-06-2010, 10:53 PM
Here is the picture that shows the prongs this thing had.

Score sheet soon to come.As I have to find my numbers.

JustinC 2
10-06-2010, 11:13 PM
I was down were Bambi and I were a couple days before I wanted to see If we could get a couple pics of the elk the he had shown me.I was very fortunate enough to find a sufeild bull 2 days later.So I got lots of great pics from 60 yards to 200 yards.The pic I am posting is my best one for clarity and it was about 150yards.After I was done playing with the elk mom and I went for a drive not more than 5 minutes we found a herd of antelope. So we did a stock.My mom and I spooked them do to swirling winds and they ran out to 295 yards.I got the bipods down on her gun and she made a prefect shot with here 6mm and here hunt was almost over.As we were dragging it back to the veichle I saw a buck come over the hill.I told my mom to sit down and lift the head of here doe.That buck came right in on a string.I took this pic.This picture does not do it any justice as this buck is at less than 10 yards in this picture.This was and is the best picture I have ever taken.:sHa_shakeshout:

Rackmastr
10-06-2010, 11:50 PM

If you ever want to shoot any and drop them off at my place, I'd gladly take them. Easily some of my favorite game meat out there....

ACKLEY ABE
10-07-2010, 06:59 AM

WOW .25 all day long. I'd like to buy that rifle. Just for curiosity, what if the wind at your shooting position is 0 and at 500 yards is 45 mph at 70 degrees which you are not aware of. Not sure your turrets would help there.
That's part of the problem with long range shooting. that and range estimation. I'm sure you had an accurate range finder with you.

JustinC 2
10-07-2010, 04:16 PM
WOW .25 all day long. I'd like to buy that rifle. Just for curiosity, what if the wind at your shooting position is 0 and at 500 yards is 45 mph at 70 degrees which you are not aware of. Not sure your turrets would help there.
That's part of the problem with long range shooting. that and range estimation. I'm sure you had an accurate range finder with you.Bud you need to go and take a course or somthing.I have no what in to teach you how to shoot.Go to the range and shoot you will figure it out.I cant wait to get my 338 lapua. So I cant really shoot them way ou there after berger fixes there 338 bullets.

ACKLEY ABE
10-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Bud you need to go and take a course or somthing.I have no what in to teach you how to shoot.Go to the range and shoot you will figure it out.I cant wait to get my 338 lapua. So I cant really shoot them way ou there after berger fixes there 338 bullets.

Not quite sure about the course, but I do shoot ..a bit. I would own that rifle though.

montanaboy
10-12-2010, 08:39 PM
ok......ishootbambi...... if you think that is a hell of a trophy doe check out the Doe my mom shot this weekend in eastern Montana. Yes i Promise you its a Doe...(NO BALLS...NO Peni$... no nothin, just utters and a Vaj) Blew my mind!!!http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs809.snc4/68990_160847023944684_100000581636140_425189_44491 68_n.jpg

packhuntr
10-12-2010, 11:57 PM
I wanted to tell bambi and his crew that Ive seen better does than that but just couldnt, was enjoying the world record stuff too much,,,LOL. That Montana, is one of the most unreal things ive ever seen in my life on the prairies, WOW! What an awesome old pale faced pale caped doe she is,,, beautiful.

220swifty
10-13-2010, 12:06 AM
Montana Boy, that looks like the antelope equivalent of a bearded lady. Holy cripes!

ishootbambi
10-14-2010, 01:34 AM
hmmm...im not sure that qualifies? yeah, i believe you its a doe, but how does montana law read? in alberta, that thing is over 5 inches and would be defined as a trophy antelope and therefore illegal to take on a nontrophy tag. yeah, i guess a doe is a doe so that would indeed be the new world record and justin, you just got downgraded to alberta record and number 2 in the world. the great thing about records is that they are made to be broken. remember when the longhunter society was first born....new records almost daily.

antlercarver
10-14-2010, 01:31 PM
Traps you are right on, Killing is not a video game. it is taking a LIFE and should be done in the most humane manner with as little risk as possible for error.

Rackmastr
10-14-2010, 06:56 PM
hmmm...im not sure that qualifies? yeah, i believe you its a doe, but how does montana law read? in alberta, that thing is over 5 inches and would be defined as a trophy antelope and therefore illegal to take on a nontrophy tag. yeah, i guess a doe is a doe so that would indeed be the new world record and justin, you just got downgraded to alberta record and number 2 in the world. the great thing about records is that they are made to be broken. remember when the longhunter society was first born....new records almost daily.

Actually, a non-trophy antelope is defined as the following:

Non-trophy Antelope
A female pronghorn antelope or a male pronghorn antelope having horns not more than 7.6 cm (3 in,) in length.

So yes, you can take any female antelope on a non-trophy tag, regardless of size of horn if its a female. A friend shot a doe antelope that is longer than Justin's a few years ago and we had to do some looking to confirm some laws regarding it.

sheephunter
10-15-2010, 09:24 AM
Actually, a non-trophy antelope is defined as the following:

Non-trophy Antelope
A female pronghorn antelope or a male pronghorn antelope having horns not more than 7.6 cm (3 in,) in length.

So yes, you can take any female antelope on a non-trophy tag, regardless of size of horn if its a female. A friend shot a doe antelope that is longer than Justin's a few years ago and we had to do some looking to confirm some laws regarding it.

Yup, Vanessa shot a Booner doe on the weekend. No problem with horn length as long as the plumbing is right!

Traps
10-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Killing is not a video game. it is taking a LIFE and should be done in the most humane manner with as little risk as possible for error.

Exactly.

ishootbambi
10-15-2010, 06:41 PM
ok....no interest in shooting them myself, so i didnt read it. just remembered the 5 inch deal for trophy. sooooo......pics please.

JustinC 2
10-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Exactly.
Traps I dont understand what part you dont understamd. There are people that can shoot at long range and are going to. If you dont like to read about it dont.We understand that aready.Also I am NOT breaking the law so mind your own.Just wait till I get a mule doe @ 800 yards on video so you can see a HUMAINE KILL AT LONG RANGE...... as I still have been out practicing in between bow hunts.

Thanks for all your negitivity I thrive off of it...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Traps
10-15-2010, 09:33 PM
I am content with my thoughts on the subject.

JustinC 2
10-15-2010, 09:45 PM
I am content with my thoughts on the subject.
I am glad to here.I here there are looking for more trolls in fishing.You should go tell them what they are doing wrong as well. I will continue to hunt how I feel is humaine and I feel you should do the same.Thanks agian for all of your imput....

Rackmastr
10-15-2010, 09:48 PM
ok....no interest in shooting them myself, so i didnt read it. just remembered the 5 inch deal for trophy. sooooo......pics please.

This one is somewhere in the 4.5" range....an old doe for sure!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/Rackmastr/DSCF1011.jpg

ishootbambi
10-15-2010, 10:01 PM
attaboy. thats a big girl.

whitetailhntr
10-15-2010, 10:04 PM
I have a tag for next week. whats B&C minnimum for does?:fighting0021:

ishootbambi
10-15-2010, 10:19 PM
i dunno....does 20 seem reasonable?

whatever we go with we need to clarify the rules again. NO freezing heads for the drying period, and NO wedging horn shells to increase circs. to those who sent me pm's about it.....you guys couldnt be serious about doing that? :snapoutofit: a few other gems.....do not put a jack in your deer antlers to increase spread and do not break off non typ points. it will never cease to amaze me what lengths some guys go to to try to get into the mystical "BOOK".

ok, sorry....thats been bugging me for a while.

also, pack...when you immediately opposed any silliness regarding your wifes antelope i think you showed some class and character. we may not be best buds, but credit where it is due.

JustinC 2
10-16-2010, 01:01 PM
This one is somewhere in the 4.5" range....an old doe for sure!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/Rackmastr/DSCF1011.jpg
Pretty sweet Trev. I think they are awsome when they are like this.

Traps
10-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Justin, answer a question that is a modified version of Ackley Abes original question:

You have a shot that is 600 yards.
What if the wind at your shooting position is 10 mph at 30 degrees from line of sight left to right and at 300 yards is 45 mph at 70 degrees from line of sight left to right? Pick a ballistic coefficient of 0.5 and a velocity of 3000 fps.

Answering this question doesn't rationalize backing up to 600 yards, the only thing it would prove is you have some knowledge about how to approach long range target shooting. Blow me off with "take a course" or some other diversion and we'll really know where you stand with your abilities.

JustinC 2
10-16-2010, 11:05 PM
Justin, answer a question that is a modified version of Ackley Abes original question:

What if the wind at your shooting position is 10 mph at 30 degrees from line of sight left to right and at 300 yards is 45 mph at 70 degrees from line of sight left to right? Pick a ballistic coefficient of 0.5 and a velocity of 3000 fps.

Answering this question doesn't rationalize backing up to 600 yards, the only thing it would prove is you have some knowledge about how to approach long range target shooting. Blow me off with "take a course" or some other diversion and we'll really know where you stand with your abilities.First of all I dont need to proove nothing to you. I know what I am doing or I would not be doing what I am.I am not out shooting @ far ranges unless it is almost perfect conditions.

Your answer to your question.If you are the shooter. DONT shoot cause you have no idea what you are doing.As for me as the shooter..... Does not concern you on what I do.As I am a big boy who can make up my own mind.:snapoutofit:

Also why is it you have a problem with LR hunting???
Why do you need me to proove my self for you???
GET OVER IT.............
Go TROLL else where...

pitw
10-16-2010, 11:27 PM
.Just wait till I get a mule doe @ 800 yards on video so you can see a HUMAINE KILL AT LONG RANGE...... as I still have been out practicing in between bow hunts.

First thing a film maker learns is how to edit so what will this prove?

Bud you need to go and take a course or somthing.I have no what in to teach you how to shoot.Go to the range and shoot you will figure it out.

I got no idea who Abe is but I got a $1,000 bill says if you two got in a contest that he would win.

A good shot does not a hunter make, but a hunter will take a good shot.:)

ishootbambi
10-16-2010, 11:36 PM

if that happened you might be in kansas and a house may fall on my mother in law. :sHa_sarcasticlol: i honestly dont know a lot about long range shooting, and for that matter i have no interest. i was however there on the day in question and saw that the fancy little doohickey read 0. just to be sure, i licked my finger and raised it up. yup....0 it was. i guess the only real question i have is what the heck do you want? it was a 1 shot kill. the old girl didnt get powder burns at 3 feet, but dead is dead. good to see yet ANOTHER example of hunters on the attack at another hunter who is legally hunting. i dont get it. :confused0024:

Traps
10-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Justin

Your mixing a false sense of confidence with ability. Ignorance is bliss.

JustinC 2
10-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Justin

Your mixing a false sense of confidence with ability. Ignorance is bliss.

Actually I am not. Like I said I dont need to proove anthing to you.Nor do I care too.I know what I am doing or I would not be doing it.I am an electrician so I understand trig and how to apply it is your question.I do that all day so I am not interested in doing for YOU on here.Thanks for the laugh.Where are you located? I am in Calgary if you want to meet and I cant teach you all about this subject.Other than that drop it.

TreeGuy
10-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Cool 'lope and awesome shot, Justin. Congrats. Sheeze, don't sweat the negativity. Most people have no idea the impressive skill set that one needs in order to shoot at long range.

For instance, I shot a mulie doe with the bow yesterday morning. She had passed within 5 yards of my ground blind, but I decided to let her move further off into a meadow. Since I had been practicing at 150 yards with the bow all summer, I decided to wait until she was at 110. The hit was a little far back and caught the liver. Found her this morning but not before the 'yotes got to her first. Too bad. At least I didn't have to tag her, eh! :lol:

buckslayer1
10-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Cool 'lope and awesome shot, Justin. Congrats. Sheeze, don't sweat the negativity. Most people have no idea the impressive skill set that one needs in order to shoot at long range.

For instance, I shot a mulie doe with the bow yesterday morning. She had passed within 5 yards of my ground blind, but I decided to let her move further off into a meadow. Since I had been practicing at 150 yards with the bow all summer, I decided to wait until she was at 110. The hit was a little far back and caught the liver. Found her this morning but not before the 'yotes got to her first. Too bad. At least I didn't have to tag her, eh! :lol::sHa_shakeshout:

JustinC 2
10-17-2010, 09:11 PM

For instance, I shot a mulie doe with the bow yesterday morning. She had passed within 5 yards of my ground blind, but I decided to let her move further off into a meadow. Since I had been practicing at 150 yards with the bow all summer, I decided to wait until she was at 110. The hit was a little far back and caught the liver. Found her this morning but not before the 'yotes got to her first. Too bad. At least I didn't have to tag her, eh! :lol:Wow Tree great post.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

As for the second half. you made me laugh. But as for long range hunting with the bow. You need to be more serious.We all know you never made that shot.As for me I did shoot my elk last year close to what you say you shot.But I 12 ringed it and it went 30 yards.

Thanks for the laugh.

packhuntr
10-18-2010, 05:47 AM
Justin,,, if you are serious and are screwing around like that with a bow, it should be taken away, cut in half, and you should never be able to buy an archery licence for the remainder of your sorry life. You sound like you really know your stuff,,, to the marginal crowd.

JustinC 2
10-18-2010, 08:09 AM
Justin,,, if you are serious and are screwing around like that with a bow, it should be taken away, cut in half, and you should never be able to buy an archery licence for the remainder of your sorry life. You sound like you really know your stuff,,, to the marginal crowd.
Hey pack I do know my stuff.I dont need you or anybody else telling me what my credentials are.As for your comment That is for you to judge.I am aloud to make a crack back to trees comment with out your B.S.I dont screw around I kill what I shoot at. I am sick of all bad comments.If you dont like me or what i did there sure is alot of other stuff to read on this forum.

antlercarver
10-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Justin Same as you brag about a kill at 600yds make sure you also post the gut shot ones or the ones that hobble off with broken legs.

ishootbambi
01-15-2011, 04:15 PM
sorry to bump this back up, but someone asked me about it the other day. i thought it was the easiest way to show it to him. i think TJs comment in this makes the most sense. some folks just wont ever cotton to the idea of long range shooting......and with that, ill say that what i saw was certainly not something that id attempt, but for those that do.......there are definitely some skills involved there. for those wo had negative comments in this one.....well i wont call you anti hunters as came up in another thread, but it doesnt help.

i was talking to JustinC and you guys wont believe the incredible season he had. if he says its cool, id like show you guys all the pics.

hardy
01-15-2011, 06:13 PM
Just for kicks. If i was at 3950feet bullet is 168gr 7mm with .5 BC traveling at 3000fps my drift for a 10mph wind would be 3.5MOA @ 600yards. But at a 30 degree angle it would be half value=1.75MOA. 45mph @ 70 degrees would be a full value wind of 15.7 MOA of drift @ 600yards. I would subtract 1.75MOA from 15.7 and that would give me roughly 14MOA of drift (13.95 to be exact). I would click 14 moa to the left on my turret. 14x6=84" of drift and that would make me pass on the shot. My calculations are not exact because of the 45mph wind starting at 300 yards so i just split the difference. This is way to hard to do in the field in my experience but shooting long can be done in milder conditions like the 727 yard shot on my yote last winter. I lazed it with my 8x30 swarovski's. Not to stir up trouble, I just thought it would be fun to try this calculation thats all.

cacty
01-16-2011, 08:17 AM
ok......ishootbambi...... if you think that is a hell of a trophy doe check out the Doe my mom shot this weekend in eastern Montana. Yes i Promise you its a Doe...(NO BALLS...NO Peni$... no nothin, just utters and a Vaj) Blew my mind!!!http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs809.snc4/68990_160847023944684_100000581636140_425189_44491 68_n.jpg

That has gotta be some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen.

Alberta Bigbore
01-16-2011, 09:56 AM
entertaining thread.... cant believe i missed it

MtFishGaL
04-07-2011, 06:25 PM
I was stoked when I walked up and saw that this antelope was actually a she and not just a funky buck. Can't wait to put her up on my wall.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs809.snc4/68990_160847023944684_100000581636140_425189_44491 68_n.jpg

Rockymtnx
04-07-2011, 07:33 PM
I was stoked when I walked up and saw that this antelope was actually a she and not just a funky buck. Can't wait to put her up on my wall.

Congrats on the funky Doe-Buck.

coyotekiller
04-07-2011, 07:41 PM
nice