PDA

View Full Version : wmu 517

Booner
10-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Hey Guys and Gals hows 517 been thus far? cant seem to find much for info on this zone lately. hows the scag this early in the saeson, ive heard it can be brutal but is it something i guy can work around and still see alot of the zone? Dad has a early season moose draw and were just trying to get a little feel for the zone before we make the 9 hour trek north! i know the best feel of the zone we will get is if we take the drive and hunt it but just wanted to ask around and see what ppl had to say, were gonna try and get up next week and give it a go, and see what we can find! any info would be much appriciated! Thanx and good luck on this 2010 season!!

Booner

rookiemoosehunter
10-02-2010, 08:15 AM
There is not a lot of area a guy can go in 517 without the ground being frozen or unless you have an argo to begin with. With all the rain we have had up here this summer I would imagine that it would be worse this year than the last few.
I don't mean to sound so negative but I work up in the area and we have had way more rain than usual this year.

jaylow?
10-02-2010, 08:31 AM
shes a pretty remote wmu for the most part
,but one of my favorites. you could get lost for weeks if you wanted to .....or i guess if you didnt want to as well :lol: . but put some time in on the quad or walk some trails. there is alot of areas in this wmu that is very sandy with a light covering on mosses and short grasses , thin tall trees. these areas will surprise you with the amount of game they hold i guess because it doesnt look ideal. and fyi there is a crap load of bears in this area.

Booner
10-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Thanks guys for the replys, were gonna give it a go, whitetails and moose im goona be straight and not beat around the bush:sHa_sarcasticlol: hows the numbers on them 2 speices?

Sparx
10-16-2010, 10:03 AM
Thanks guys for the replys, were gonna give it a go, whitetails and moose im goona be straight and not beat around the bush:sHa_sarcasticlol: hows the numbers on them 2 speices?

I've seen some really big whitetails come out from that area! You have a great chance of filling both tags if you put good effort in the right areas. Get back there and once you find fresh moose tracks stick to that area until you run into the bull. There's lots of dry land in the area, and lots of skeg as well. Definitely bring the quad up, you can get around but pick your holes wisely and always look for a spot to winch before venturing into any of them. Good luck and be sure to post pics if you get lucky!