PDA

View Full Version : Short reed goose call - help

gilbertslake
10-02-2010, 10:29 PM
I have been using a goose flute for years and decided to switch to a short reed call. Being a long time user of a duck call, I thought this was going to be easy, but, I am just not getting it.
I have tried tuning the call (Knight and Hale Magnum Clucker) but I just can't get it to sound like on the videos I ran on Youtube. Is it me, or the call? Like I said, I use a duck call and I am familiar with tuning these, but I just can't do a thing with the short reed call that lI bought.

birdhunter99
10-03-2010, 06:54 AM
The short reed calls take some getting used to, and are tricky at first. Once you get the call to break consistently and make a decent goose sound, you can then build on it to make many more realistic goose sounds. I learned on a Magnum Clucker and they are a good one to start on. There are lots of videos and online instruction, take advantage of them.

catnthehat
10-03-2010, 07:56 AM
I have been using a goose flute for years and decided to switch to a short reed call. Being a long time user of a duck call, I thought this was going to be easy, but, I am just not getting it.
I have tried tuning the call (Knight and Hale Magnum Clucker) but I just can't get it to sound like on the videos I ran on Youtube. Is it me, or the call? Like I said, I use a duck call and I am familiar with tuning these, but I just can't do a thing with the short reed call that lI bought.

I won't use anything marketed by Knight and hale for a few reasons, but you can buy a very reasonably priced Faulk goose call made of wood from various stores, WSS, Bass Pro, Cabellas, etc.
these calls are very easy to get the hang of.
Cat

bobalong
10-03-2010, 08:27 AM
I would look at some of the Delrin or Polycarb calls made by Lynch Mob, Winglock, Zink, Tim Grounds, Foiles, and there are lots of others. I use the Lynch mob and Winglock calls and they are both easy to use and have that great deep "goosy" moan. As with any call they take a bit of playing with. I also have one of the Lynch mob acrylic calls, sounds great but takes more air to work for sure.

gilbertslake
10-03-2010, 09:03 AM
thanks,guys. Looks like I will be spending a few more $$$. I am thinking of the Zink Power Clucker, or the Buck Gardner Canada Hammer kit. But, I may just pickup a Faulk's as well. Cabela's Canada doesn't have the Faulk's in their catalog though.
I have three duck calls, Olt, Primos and Faulk's. The Faulk's mellow tones are my favourite.
I have used the Olt flute for years and find it good for drawing geese in, but I can't get a decent greeting call from it, so I tend not to call when the geese are close, rather than scare them. I do ok with come-back calls on the flute and have had flocks return after having a look then goaway. But, the short reed seems to give so much more variety and in the videos I have seen and they sound more like the real thing than flute does.

simmered
10-03-2010, 09:05 AM
I bought the Zink powe clucker that came with the DVD and found that to be very good. Sound seems good and the DVD is awesome tool to learn from. I also am dfinding practicing whenever you can helpful. For me its when Im driving around in my work truck!!!!

gilbertslake
10-03-2010, 09:41 AM
For me its when Im driving around in my work truck!!!!

Now, that beats texting:sHa_shakeshout:
I should definitely get the DVD. Although I find the youtube videos good. But these guys are all pro`s.

swifthunter
10-03-2010, 09:15 PM
I got a lynch mob slip knot and had trouble trying to call with it until I got the bad grammar dvd. It helped a lot now i can actually call half decent

super7mag
10-03-2010, 09:48 PM
I bought the Zink powe clucker that came with the DVD and found that to be very good. Sound seems good and the DVD is awesome tool to learn from. I also am dfinding practicing whenever you can helpful. For me its when Im driving around in my work truck!!!!

X2 on the power clucker and one of the best videos I've seen, take you thru step xstep. I'm still learning but its help me improve in leaps and bounds.

gilbertslake
10-03-2010, 10:01 PM
I bought a Buck Gardner Canada Hammer II on line from Cabelas.ca. we'll see how that one does. If that doesn't work, then I guess I'll try something else.
One think about cabelas.ca,I am finding that quite a lot of their products are temporarily out of stock. I hope it is just a temporary thing.
Will check for the bad grammar dvd

trapshooter
10-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Lynch Mob "SLIPKNOT" or the Knight & Hale "PITBOSS"

fitzy
10-03-2010, 11:18 PM

Glad I'm not the only one practicing my calls when I'm driving.

honker_clonker
10-03-2010, 11:31 PM
Buy BAD GRAMMAR, watch it and call along with it. I went from a kid at a party to making some goosey sounds after watching the fundamentals part of the video. It just makes sense the way Scott puts it.

gilbertslake
10-07-2010, 04:57 PM
OK, got the Buck Gardner Canada Hammer today. Wow, no effort to blow, loud or soft. Inside 5 minutes I had made hails, greetings and come backs fairly easily. Now working on the feeding and laydown calls.
In the garbage goes the Knight and Hale
thanks for advice guys

7rem mag
10-07-2010, 09:16 PM
I would not throw out the K&H Mg Clucker as it can be a very good call once the short reed concept is mastered. Most of the short reed calls today have K&H clucker guts or modified versions of them. Look at the guts in any short reed and learn how to tune your call. Sorry to say, most of today's goose calls are a Mag Clucker done up in a specil package.re-inventing the wheel and some savvy marketing has made some call makers in the industry wealthy, but the modern short reeds have 'cleaned up' the gut system to the point where they now sound like a million bucks, and the sounds guys produce today...........wow!

It was recommended that Bad Grammar be purchased and I would second that. Also very important, with your old flute, the words to-it or similar were the words of choice to make the call honk. It is very important to make the reed 'pop' in a short reed. Once the basic concept is mastered, then learn to honk. Then you learn to cluck , then moan and cry, then double cluck. These are all the sounds you need to kill geese in the field. Good luck.

gilbertslake
10-08-2010, 11:32 AM
I would not throw out the K&H Mg Clucker as it can be a very good call once the short reed concept is mastered. Most of the short reed calls today have K&H clucker guts or modified versions of them. Look at the guts in any short reed and learn how to tune your call. Sorry to say, most of today's goose calls are a Mag Clucker done up in a specil package.re-inventing the wheel and some savvy marketing has made some call makers in the industry wealthy, but the modern short reeds have 'cleaned up' the gut system to the point where they now sound like a million bucks, and the sounds guys produce today...........wow!

It was recommended that Bad Grammar be purchased and I would second that. Also very important, with your old flute, the words to-it or similar were the words of choice to make the call honk. It is very important to make the reed 'pop' in a short reed. Once the basic concept is mastered, then learn to honk. Then you learn to cluck , then moan and cry, then double cluck. These are all the sounds you need to kill geese in the field. Good luck.

I tried the K&H last evening again. After watching the youtube video from gunsonline, I thought maybe I need to blow a lot harder to get the sound to break and I managed to get it to work. But, it is a lot harder to blow than the Buck Gardner. I found some instruction on shaving reeds on a previous posting which I will attempt this weekend on the K&H. It will do for a back-up, if I can get ease of use from it.
The Bad Grammar is ordered!