PDA

View Full Version : Bambi Kills a Stinkylope

ishootbambi
10-02-2010, 10:41 PM
ok dudes....its late, im tired and cranky after a long day and i gotta get up for work earlier than ive been getting up to hunt. full story and pics will be coming tomorrow. heres a sneak peak for you.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/ishootbambi/P1011641.jpg

whitetail Junkie
10-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Well thats a Good Goat,he's got some great mass on him!!! Nice Work Man!!!

ram crazy
10-03-2010, 07:08 AM
Congrats, But he's not a 80" goat like you were braggin about though. Looks like 13.5", His cutters are just at the tops of his ears. Looks like about 74" loper.

packhuntr
10-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Very nice antelope. Congrats.

blackpheasant
10-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Looks like a nice one, Congrats !

nube
10-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Who cares if it is an 80" goat or not. Good job BAMBI. You sure looked hard for a big one this year. Hope you had a good hunt.

Grizzly Adams
10-03-2010, 01:39 PM
So, why do you call him a Stinkylope?:lol: Looks like decent head to me.

Grizz

Stinky Coyote
10-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Congrats, But he's not a 80" goat like you were braggin about though. Looks like 13.5", His cutters are just at the tops of his ears. Looks like about 74" loper.

hey weren't you all talk last summer about all the rams you had tied up for buddies etc. and not a word from you all that fall?

whats with your pokes at bambi and nube, got your ram feeling a little rammy this season? your the man again or something?

congrats bambi, don't know goats but looks like a gooder to me :)

Morbius131
10-03-2010, 07:24 PM
That is definitely a nice animal. Well done!

As for the childish comments concerning the size...not necessary!

Morb

mudbug
10-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Great looking Antelope :sHa_shakeshout: Are you going to get the head mounted? :thinking-006:

TreeGuy
10-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Great 'loper ISB. Can't wait for the story and more pics. Congrats man. :)

lone wolf
10-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Good job Dale ~ nice buck ! Look forward to seeing a few more pics & getting the story.

steve
10-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Nice goat congrats Dale.

Rockymtnx
10-03-2010, 09:34 PM
ISB, congrats on your antelope.
I will be looking forward to the other pics.

SugarCreek
10-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Congrats on a great looking goat.......Marco

ishootbambi
10-05-2010, 11:56 PM
good gawd the last few days at work have been brutally hectic. sorry for the delay, but story and pics as promised are on the way.

so the story goes with one of the 80's that i knew of falling in archery season. no sweat, i have a line on 2 more that last i saw were within half a mile of each other. last i saw was early august, but with so many does in the area i figured they wouldnt be far. i get to the place near tide lake about 45 minutes before shooting light and the wait begins. i figure no sense walking in the dark as i dont know for sure where im going, so i wait. about 20 minutes before legal light.....BOOM! and i mean close. as im looking around through the binos for the shooter....BOOM, BOOM, BOOM. i aint kidding when i say between 25-30 shots before first light. as close as the shooting sounded, i didnt see anyone, and only a group of 5 does rocketing past me at about 30 yards. im not sure they have stopped running yet! i have no idea how many guys were around, but i was sure more than there were bucks, so plan b was in action. i was hoping to spend my summer working in that zone, but only got a few days that way. now im going from experience out there so off i went to areas that had produced for me before. when i say me, i mean the friends i was with for their hunts. this antelope is the first i have taken, but the 13th i was there to watch fall. long story short, this guy was buck number 135 and fell on wednesday. i passed 2 that would have scored slightly better, but not much, and about 5 more just like him or slightly smaller.

when i first saw this buck he was out about 4 miles. optics are a good thing. even from that distance it was obvious he was better than average and needed a closer look. once i got to about a mile, i could see that my first impression was right, and by then my patience was wearing thin. i was hoping more than anything for an oddball buck, but the 3 i saw that fit that description were just too small. he was looking at me already and i thought he was alone. i figured either he had abandoned his does as they were done, or maybe he was running for his life and thought he was better off away from a group? i dunno. either way, i left the truck where he could see it and made a wide loop to get out of his sight and close the distance. it didnt take long to get where i thought i needed to be. as i slowly crested the last little rise, i could see him staring me down. i got high enough to range him at 120 yards......plenty close enough for my muzzleloader. he was acting nervous so i didnt waste time trying to get a live picture. the gun came up and and as soon as i felt good i squeezed off a shot. just as i did he turned to run. i heard the bullet smack and saw him go down, but i felt i should get another bullet down the pipe ASAP. it took only about 10-15 seconds to reload as i had the primer, powder and bullet in my hand. when i looked up to see what he was doing i could not see him in the tall grass, but what i saw got me excited. 150 yards up the draw was a the south end of a northbound buck departing fast. what the....??? as it turned out, i got over to check for blood, and what i found was my buck spined. i guess the shot hit high as he spun to go, so i gave him a finishng shot to end the suffering as quickly as i could. the other buck stopped to look back at around 400 yards. im not sure he was bigger, but he definitely wasnt smaller. ill vote for about the same. so i got a few pics off the tripod and dragged him 20 yards or so to the well he was near, then off to get the truck. by the time i got home, i was hoping someone would be around to take some better pics, but no dice....so a few more off the tripod. he wasnt quite the antelope i was looking for, but he will do very nicely for what i wanted. ill get those pics up in a few weeks when i have it all put together.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/ishootbambi/P1011640.jpg

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/ishootbambi/P1011638.jpg

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/ishootbambi/P1011653.jpg

ishootbambi
10-06-2010, 12:03 AM
in response,
thanks for the congrats from all.
ram, he's better than you think. i havent scored him more than a real rough loosy goosy. lets play some guess the score first and see how everyone does.
nube, no i didnt do a bunch of looking.....probably not as much as i should have and definitely not as much as i should have sunday night. i talked with a guy from viking who was hunting with his wife. he said the shooting started at tide lake on sunday evening. :rolleye2: one of the bigger ones may have fallen then.
grizzly, i call them worse than stinkylope most days, but that may be the most fitting description. they are the most vile disgusting awful smelling animal i have ever been near. they make a rutted up bull elk smell like roses.
mudbug, no. his cape will be getting mounted, but not for me. i have something else im working on for this head. ill post it when its ready.

heres a couple more shots for you score guessers

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/ishootbambi/P1011686.jpg

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/ishootbambi/P1011685.jpg

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/ishootbambi/P1011684.jpg

pottymouth
10-06-2010, 01:30 AM
Congrats Isb, great looking speed goat ! I'll say 74 3/8 ..

Mulestalker
10-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Great goat Dale, I'm not a goat hunter but after bow season I sure did learn a pile and can't wait for my rifle tag!

I'll take a stab at 75 1/8

whitetailsheds
10-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Nice antelope Dale......whatcha got cooking up for a mount?

Stella
10-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Great looking Antelope!! Nothing wrong with him. Hope to see one or two like that on the 18th when I go after mine! Again, great looking animal.

ishootbambi
10-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Nice antelope Dale......whatcha got cooking up for a mount?

it has something to do with that saguaro cactus i was hunting for. if anyone knows where i can find a silk replica in the 2-4 foot range im still searching. i have located some clay, and concrete ones....but they arent quite what im looking for. i want realism if i can get it.

whitetail Junkie
10-06-2010, 11:03 AM
I'll take a stab at 75 1/8

x2 solid, 75" Trophy!!!

hunter10
10-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Congrats Dale! I'll say around the 73-74 mark

hunter10
10-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Congrats Dale! I'll say around the 73-74 mark

Edit, I change my guess to 76:)

Toe823
10-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Pretty lookin Loper in my books...congrats!!!! Looks pretty similar to the one i got...gonna say around 75!!

ishootbambi
10-06-2010, 10:28 PM
well....looks like hunter 10 is the closest. he is over 14 in length and 6 1/4 bases. short prongs hurt the final score, but he greened a shade over 76 last week. i took the cape off and got it to a friend in need, but then didnt have time to put a proper score on him. work has been stupid busy since, but ill do a proper job as soon as i can.

so, what started the whole 144 rah rah was whitetail junkie saying that zone put out the most giant goats on a consistent basis, largely because the outfitter from brooks is pretty good at killing big bucks. pack immediately called him an idiot, and i backed up what junkie said. well....the truth is that the outfitters do a very good job of finding the biggest goats where their tags are. they spank some hogs in the south as well.....and likely would do it wherever they happened to have their allotments. its their livelihood and they make it a full time job to find the biggest bucks. im not sure if 144 produces the most bigguns, but thats where a lot fall, and thats why. pack got cranky with me as he doesnt want the whole province applying in his home zone pushing up wait times. well after the dummy comments about my choice of hunting clothing it seemed a good way to jab back. many of you guys got that, but a few of you missed it. the guys who got it know who you are, and those that didnt....well you probably still dont, but the rest of us know who you are too. :sHa_sarcasticlol: so thats it. the truth is that antelope are very nomadic....anyone who has seen the research done on them in this province knows how far they can roam in a very short time. any zone in alberta can produce a giant, but as a whole, alberta is not a great destination for trophy antelope and a true giant is hard to come by. as for my posts.....everything i said was truthful.....maybe misleading at a glance, but truthful. a few guys picked up what was going on early....rockymtnx was the first to realize that i had shot my goat early in the week. i did see 3 80 inchers back in august and a bowhunter did kill one on my advice. he still wishes to remain quiet for now though, so i will have to respect his wishes. a feller called me 2 days ago and asked me to come over to score what he feels is an 80 from that zone. i will let you all know how that one turns out.

so that brings up a question now pack. have you had enough of the silliness yet. you accused me of something untrue and i played with you some for it. if you have had enough, ill let it go and we can act like adults. if you want to keep up the shenanigans, well i can go that way too. its up to you dude.

oh, and what i said about your wifes goat was absolutely good advice. i wouldnt try to shaft an innocent bystander. congrats again to her.

whitetailsheds
10-07-2010, 12:19 AM
it has something to do with that saguaro cactus i was hunting for. if anyone knows where i can find a silk replica in the 2-4 foot range im still searching. i have located some clay, and concrete ones....but they arent quite what im looking for. i want realism if i can get it.

Hmmmm......sounds pretty neat! Saw some cactus on my bighorn hunt I just got back from in Southern BC......don't think they were the saguaro tho, these *****ly buggers were low to the ground and at times, very hard to see......look forward to seeing what u have in mind!
Nice 'lope again....may look for some advice in a couple years on these critters. AB buddy and I are Prty 4, so we're getting closer.....only not fast enough!!!!

BrownBear416
10-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Nothing wrong with a high 70s speed goat..

Congrats on a fine animal..

duffy4
10-11-2010, 06:52 PM
So, why do you call him a Stinkylope?:lol: Looks like decent head to me.

Grizz

I like the looks of Antelope.
I love to eat Antelope.
And I really don't mind the "unusual" smell they have about them.

But some don't.
And some have a thing for calling them something else rather that their given name.

packhuntr
10-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Nothing "unusual" about that smell boys. Its a very nice odour actually,,, why its prairie perfume. God, I love hunting antelope too Duffy. Hands down my favorite western big game animal. Its tough living down here,, waiting on the next antelope tag when a guy could be living some where getting to know the local herd of whitetails,, that a guy can hunt every year. I do have a deep seated love of the open country unfortunately though!

South west trappin RG
10-11-2010, 08:56 PM
I spent two days scouting and only seen one better. I seen allot of speed goats on my uncles ranch 80 - 100 at least every day and at around 5 on opening day i seen this one, 355 yards he was mine. Thir was 5 family members hunting on the family ranch and we all got goats the first day. I had it scored in Jenner by the fw and my taxidermist scored it 1/2 in smaller. Take a guess it was allot higher than i thought.:sHa_shakeshout:

Sparx
10-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Good job Dale! I just got the old man his 3rd moose just around the corner from where you guys had to fish yours outta the drink! Keep up the good work.

ishootbambi
10-17-2010, 12:03 AM
I spent two days scouting and only seen one better. I seen allot of speed goats on my uncles ranch 80 - 100 at least every day and at around 5 on opening day i seen this one, 355 yards he was mine. Thir was 5 family members hunting on the family ranch and we all got goats the first day. I had it scored in Jenner by the fw and my taxidermist scored it 1/2 in smaller. Take a guess it was allot higher than i thought.:sHa_shakeshout:

well south....you gonna give us the skinny or what???

Good job Dale! I just got the old man his 3rd moose just around the corner from where you guys had to fish yours outta the drink! Keep up the good work.

thanks sparx. you oughta post up a thread with pics of the moose you guys have taken over the last decade. it absolutely amazes me that you and your crew have been so consistent in an area pounded so hard with hunting pressure. you guys truly are the moose hunting kings of the north. congrats to you and to your dad!

oh, and about fishing that moose out....we got a little goofy with the pics. when that bull died on the far side of the beaver pond, gary was fraeaking out about how we were gonna get him outta there. good thing they float is all i can say.

Sparx
10-19-2010, 12:32 AM
Haha, good stuff Dale! You guys and your wet donky are still the talk of the area for your creativeness. So the question is, who had to get down to their shorts? LOL

I would like to take credit for the moose we get, but seriously they do all the work for us once you know the spot to hang out in! Thanks anyhow, who knows which year that area will be bulldozed then off to find some other area to hunt moose hopefully just as close to town!

Under your advice, I'll start a new thread for the moose lovers, keep an eye out! Congrats again on the lopes, lookin' forward to the deer pics soon!