PDA

View Full Version : Were to find ELK in WMU 350

elmer fud
10-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Hi Iam A newbe to elk hunting and want to go to area 350 any one know where a good spot to try with crown land or along the athabasca river thanks

nube
10-03-2010, 09:38 PM
I get a kick out of these posts. It is kind of like asking a guy what type and color of panties his wife wears!:rolleye2:

deerhuntercentral
10-03-2010, 09:47 PM
I have hunted 350 for 20 or so years and elk have been few and far between. You can try along the river back in by big bend, I have heard of the odd one coming out of there. Another spot to try is the honey road just before the swan hills highway, go to the end there and then head into crown land, I saw a decent 5 x 5 bull there 2 or 3 years ago, but Foster has land back there and has hunters back there as well, so pay attention to where you go. I won't say there aren't elk in 350, but not a lot, in 20 years I have seen 1 bull and 1 cow and had occasion to hear the odd bugle while moose hunting. If you want elk go further west, maybe Valleyview area, it's worth the drive compared to trying to hunt elk in 350.

7mmremmag
10-03-2010, 09:59 PM
I get a kick out of these posts. It is kind of like asking a guy what type and color of panties his wife wears!:rolleye2:

Awesome nube, I cant think of a better way to discourage new or young hunters from asking questions!
I find it funny you have no problem asking the best places to hunt sea ducks, or ask for advice on the best hotel to stay in, But you critisize other people for asking questions?
By the way what color are your panties?

junglejay7320
10-03-2010, 11:00 PM
my uncle has a trapline in 350....he has never seen elk moving around there....
although i ran a cross a small herd crossing the highway just outside of fort assinaboine.....still in the zone...

as for the other guy asking what color of panties does a guys wife were....
i'm hearing what he's saying....but i don't mind helping another guy out....

where's my fav elk wallow.....5000grand and i'll tell yeah....asking if there's any hope of catching a bull in 350....free advise head another 1-2 west and your odds increase...
good luck...

nube
10-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Awesome nube, I cant think of a better way to discourage new or young hunters from asking questions!
I find it funny you have no problem asking the best places to hunt sea ducks, or ask for advice on the best hotel to stay in, But you critisize other people for asking questions?
By the way what color are your panties?

Well I guess if you are feeling up to it can I get your GPS coordinates for all of your Laker spots and if you have a nice bear bait area I can hunt that would be cool as well. I am also looking for a better sheep hunting drainage and your favorite cutline for a big buck as well since you are feeling so free as to give away all of your spots you worked so hard to figure out. :)

Relax man.
I have helped more than my fair share of guys on here but I am in no way going to give them exact details of where to go. I never have asked for anyones exact details either be it Sea ducks or anything else.

350 is a big zone. not too many elk in it as they are scattered in certain areas. I'm not about to tell anyone where to look after it has taken me years to even figure out where to find a small herd of them. Especially to someone I don't know and who has put nothing in for effort to find them himself.
Too many guys these days want a freebee. Sorry I may sound like a dumb arse but looks like quite a few are thinking the same way as there is not much info given out now is there.
here is another post you might want to give out some more info to the poster as well since he wants a freebee as well.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=71018

paul1964
10-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Ok KIDS its time to behave now. they newbie just wants to know area . not your favorite spots. I would give a rough area and maybe tell them were to go but as for foot work they will have to get out of there truck and put on a few miles. Its there learning time. try to remember when you were young and how nice it would have been to get some help. So KIDS(lol) lets all play nice give a few tips it will never hurt and May just bring you some good karma back.

elmer fud
10-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Ok KIDS its time to behave now. they newbie just wants to know area . not your favorite spots. I would give a rough area and maybe tell them were to go but as for foot work they will have to get out of there truck and put on a few miles. Its there learning time. try to remember when you were young and how nice it would have been to get some help. So KIDS(lol) lets all play nice give a few tips it will never hurt and May just bring you some good karma back.

Just wanted a general idea is it better to look at smith or down south mitsue road i do not want you honey hole I will do the leg work
Thank you Paul :sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

nube
10-04-2010, 01:36 PM
I have had better luck on the west side of the zone but like I said , they are very spotty and there are better areas to hunt. I will say that I have never shot one in there but know where certain small herds are. If I were to hunt them it would only be during calling season with a bow.

sheepguide
10-04-2010, 02:04 PM
I have to agree with Nube on this. Not bashing guys that ask but the way to learn to hunt an animal is get out there and put on the miles. Ive hunted many days checking out new areas that ended up not having what I was looking for in it. But I kept looking and have found some very sweet spots for certain animals. But the key is that I hunted to find them. Its cool to ask what zone is decent or such like that but to me it ends there. If a guy wants to hunt 350 then the best way to figure where the elk are is to put the time in out there. I have no problem in giving advice but not real found of how so many people come here just looking for a place they can just go out and be successful.
JMHO
SG

Scottie
10-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Just wanted a general idea is it better to look at smith or down south mitsue road i do not want you honey hole I will do the leg work

I work down the south mitsue road, drive it almost every day for the last 4 years and still have yet to seen an elk......to be honest I've seen more Caribou back there. Wasting your time if you ask me, I'm with Nube you gotta go to the west side....then when you get there keep driving to 360 and hunt swan valley country. Not trying to say theres no elk in 350 as I've looked for the last 10 years and can count on 1 hand how many I've seen but your time could be better spent looking for elk in a different zone. If you do hunt 350 for elk bring a Whitetail tag and a Mulie tag.

~Scottie

Cal
10-04-2010, 02:54 PM
Dont let the negative coments upset you too much Fud. I'm sure you didnt mean to be a mooch or anything, but especily in zones where a particular animal is a bit scarce your going to have trouble getting guys to give you much direction. I think some of the responses have been a little excessively negative but if you were asking about moose in 542 you'd get about the same response.

I know an old logger that always takes his cow elk out of 511 by Smith and I've seen a few in the fields around there. He told me they hang out in the river valley until it gets cold and then move into the fields late in the season. Not many people shoot elk on a regular basis in there though, Far more are killed further west towards HP though. If you can find a single elk in south Mitsue I'll eat my hat.

deerhuntercentral
10-04-2010, 02:55 PM

You would have better luck around Smith than the South Mitsue, there are a few small herds around Smith, but like everyone is saying west of 350 would be your best bet.

About 20 years ago I saw a big set of tracks near a water hole on the Skrynyk road, so I set up a treestand there, I thought it was a big mule deer track and had never heard of or seen elk in the area and I was pretty green at hunting. So I am sitting in the stand with my bow one evening and what comes out? A cow elk. I almost fell out of my stand. That's about the only elk I saw in 350 other than that 5 x 5 on the Honey road.