PDA

View Full Version : Online licencing site does not work for me.

KegRiver
10-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Today I tried something new. I tried to buy my hunting licenses online.
I found a link in the hunting regs pamphlet for AlbertaRELM.com a government of Alberta website that is supposed to provide hunting licenses online.
I was able to buy a Wildlife Certificate and a Game Bird Licence (that is the spelling on the license issued to me.) but when I try to purchase a Whitetail Deer license the system demands I enter my tag number before proceeding to the purchasing page. I tried other species with the same results.
How am I supposed to know what the tag number is when I haven't even obtained a license yet?

Does anyone know what is going on here? Are other folks having the same problems or is it just me? Am I doing something wrong.

One other thing. It said something about needing to enter the WMU number for where I intend to hunt. I could find nothing about being restricted to one WMU in the hunting regs. So what's the story? Are all licenses good for only one WMU now?

KegRiver
10-03-2010, 11:08 PM
I found the answer to the first half of my problem in the Using the new tag system thread.

I still haven't been able to find anything about all licenses being issued for one WMU only. I found nothing in the regs. pamphlet or on either of the government F&W sites.

deanmc
10-04-2010, 03:44 AM
If you dont have the blank tags that came in the mail with your draw info you cannot buy tags online. There were 4 inside the booklet they mail and each one has a serial number on them. That is the number they are asking you for.

I cannot remember having to enter any information about wmu numbers.Not sure what that was. I bought everything online this year except my migratory bird permit.

Okotokian
10-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Phone or e-mail SRD and they will mail you as many blank tags as you want, pronto. I got a bunch in about 4 days.

All licences for one WMU? Just look in the regs under your series (100's, 200's, etc.) you will have to look for each species and see when/if the WMU you are interested in is listed. It really doesn't take that long.

KegRiver
10-04-2010, 11:09 PM
I'll try emailing SRD for tags. If it works, great!!

I don't think I'm explaining this WMU thing correctly.
I'll try again.

I tried to buy a deer license online at RELM. They indicated that I would have to enter the WMU nomber in which I intended to hunt in order to obtain any license.
I checked the regs pamphlet and it appeared to me that there is no restrictions on where one hunts if one has a general hunting license.

I downloaded the PDF copy of the regs and tried the search function for the word "WMU" and the phrase "only in" but found no mention of general licenses being restricted to one WMU.

So are all licenses restricted to only one WMU or not?
To put it another way.

In the past I was always able to hunt in any WMU with an general license open season for a given species providing I had a general license for that species. Is that no longer the case?
Or if I can still hunt any open WMU on a general license, why do I have to stipulate which WMU I intend to hunt in on a general license.
Which is right? What the regs pamphlet says of what the RELM site implies.

lannie
10-04-2010, 11:45 PM
"Please review the current Alberta Guide to Hunting Regulations to determine the Wildlife Management Units (WMUs) this licence is valid for BEFORE you purchase this licence."

They want you to make sure you are buying the right tag for the area you want to hunt. You do not have to actually enter a WMU.
I hope this helps, maybe i did not understand your request totally.

KegRiver
10-05-2010, 10:25 PM
They want you to make sure you are buying the right tag for the area you want to hunt. You do not have to actually enter a WMU.
I hope this helps, maybe i did not understand your request totally.

I think I get it.
LOL That explanation had not occurred to me, but it makes sense.

I thought it was a given that people would check to see if the license they were about to purchase would be applicable in the area they wished to hunt.
I suppose it is because no one ever asked that question before.

It's amazing how much things have changed in the few years I've been away from hunting. It used to be so simple.

Thanks very much. I think I am finally ready to go hunting.

Okotokian
10-06-2010, 09:12 AM
It's amazing how much things have changed in the few years I've been away from hunting. It used to be so simple.

But this change is for the better once you get the hang of it. Before I would have purchased a trophy sheep or elk tag on the off chance I might have gone at the last minute. This year I didn't bother as I knew I could buy one (once I had a stock of blank tags) at 4:00 in the morning online if I decided to go. I haven't gone (yet) and have saved the money.

colour86
10-06-2010, 03:26 PM
i walked into a F&W office yesterday and they gave me a handful on the spot. no need to wait for the mail if you got a F&W close.

KegRiver
10-06-2010, 09:00 PM
But this change is for the better once you get the hang of it. Before I would have purchased a trophy sheep or elk tag on the off chance I might have gone at the last minute. This year I didn't bother as I knew I could buy one (once I had a stock of blank tags) at 4:00 in the morning online if I decided to go. I haven't gone (yet) and have saved the money.

Now that had never occurred to me either,
At last an idea that I can really use. That is a GREAT idea Okotokian.

I'm old school, but I'm starting to think that this online licensing is a gooooooood idea.
Our local F&W is only open a couple of days a week plus I'm assigned to a rush job for the next several days, perhaps even weeks.
So there is no way i can pick up online tags for at least a week.
However, thanks to email there should be half a dozen in my mailbox in a few days.

Thanks all.

Boy am I glad i stumbled into this site.