PDA

View Full Version : Camp stoves

~Octane~
10-13-2007, 06:19 PM
What does everybody use? I'm looking to buy one but am torn between the Coleman 2 burner that uses the propane bombs and the bigger Coleman 2 burner that uses white fuel. I like the way the propane version is slimmer and more compact and definatley simpler to use but will the price of the cylinders make it a con? Also is there any other brands? I recall an article in a magazine that compared 4 of them, and they rated the Cabelas 2 burner really well. What about the super compact 2 burner coleman that folds away? Thanks guys.

bigg_sexy1
10-13-2007, 07:05 PM
I have one of each, for the 2 burner propane I bought an adaptor to hook it up to a regular 20lb bottle. Also have the white gas stove that we use sometimes while in a horse camp. Both are good, just depends what your specific needs and uses will be.

Piker
10-13-2007, 09:00 PM
I have brought and used many types of camp stoves and the one thing I have learned is to use one that has an adjustable regulater. Almost everything you buy now that is propane has a regulater but not adjustable. So in order to be able to control the flame you have to control the pressure and you cannot do that with the controls on the stove. I also have a few bbq that are the same. So now I buy a adj. reg. and adapt it to the appliance I am using.

fishead
10-13-2007, 10:50 PM
The nice thing about the white fuel is that you always know how much fuel you have left, even though they are definately more fussy to operate than propane

~Octane~
10-13-2007, 10:56 PM
thanks guys, keep it coming! Piker, your saying you cant adjust the flame on the propane cylinder model? Do you know if the Coleman (propane) i'm talking about has an adjustable reg? Any other brands that have it that are reliable and quality? My uses will mainly be frying things while icefishing or summer fishing, perc'ing coffee or boiling water.Thanks again.

Hilgy
10-13-2007, 11:06 PM
I have both. I like the simple set up and use of the propane stove but if I'm going to be in one place for a while I will take the white gas one.

The gas stove makes more heat and will boil water faster(i timed them once)but can be a bit of a bitch to get going until you are used to it.

I also have one of the big three burner Camp Chef stoves so if we can drive right to camp both of the colmans stay home.

Hilgy

Soreneck Racing
10-13-2007, 11:12 PM
I bought a propane coleman stove about 15 years ago from Canadian Tire and it has never let me down. Used the white gas version lots too. Keep them clean and serviced and they will treat you well. The white gas is getting expensive though.

The small propane cylinders are handy, but expensive as well, at $4-5 each. The best thing that I did was buy a "tree" for my 20 pound tank and then run my stove off one outlet, portable BBQ off the other outlet, and then put a propane lantern on top. Running this set up is great for car camping, where you can unload at the site.

There is an adaptor available for refilling your own one pound bottles off of a large BBQ tank, which would make sense if you are looking for more portability. Check the Cabelas catologue for the item. There are some common sense concerns with refilling them, but it will save you some money in the long run.

russ
10-14-2007, 07:04 AM
white gas is my favourite. Propane is alright, but I like my toast crispy on the outside and soft in the middle. Plus it takes a lot less longer to boil water.

knight hunter
10-14-2007, 07:54 AM
I have the propane stoves, using the 1lb bottles in my hunting shacks. I find they run alot quieter than the fuel ones. Turning them down on low, no sound at all. BUT, they also freeze-up in really cold weather.

Piker
10-14-2007, 08:53 AM
I was jumping the gun you can adj the flame with the controls but not to the degree of a press. reg. The stve I have now was very difficult to adj. trying to keep it low it kept going out and when it was high enough it was generally way too hot. The only way to find a happy medium was with the adj reg. I think most appliances come with a unadj. reg. I use the one that has a curving arrow on the knob indicating which direction to turn it to get the desired pressure.

Orion
10-14-2007, 09:09 AM
I use both also. We use one of those combination Coleman grill/stoves while family camping in the summer.
I have 2 old Coleman ex-Alberta Forest Service gas stoves that were made in the early sixties. I got them from a friend who worked for AFS. I've had them for 20 years and have only had to replace a couple of seals. They're still going strong. They're used mainly for hunting and winter camping.
I have problems with propane freeze-up in winter, too. Even with an adjustable regulator.

lilsundance
10-14-2007, 11:38 AM
we tried the propane stove with a refillable 5lb bottle. As in past hunting we left the stove on low to cook a roast while out and when we got back it had gone out. Propane looses pressure when its cold and when the stove in the tent went out the bottle cooled enough to shut off the stove. Temp outside was about -15. We now only use the white gas stoves in November camp.

Piker
10-14-2007, 02:02 PM
Im wrong again. The reg in question is a constant pressure while theknob controls the flow. I am not sure how it would work in cold weather but it is fine in warm I finally found one on the net but they wont ship to canada. I could not find Colemans website in canada but im sure they have them.

Big Bull
10-14-2007, 05:15 PM
I prefer the white gas model myself. Most of my camping is done from my freighter canoe or float plane, and I just find the white gas to be more compact, lighter, and I know exactly how much fuel I have. My stove is twenty years old, and the only maintenance that I do on it is replace the generator(long steel tube with needle valve in it) approx. every five years, and general cleaning. Coleman stoves and lanterns will last a lifetime if they are used properly and are looked after.

Map Maker
10-14-2007, 06:50 PM
Ive got the Coleman Roadtrip grill and really like it. It uses the small propane or the large 20# tanks. I take it all the time ice fishing and winter camping and never a problem. Everything packs down small and there is a grill side and a skillet side. It works perfectly for what i need it for. Ive also got an adapter to fill up those small propane bottles but usually use a small 5 lb bottle i have.
I bought them when the first came out and paid an arm and a leg for it, they are alot cheaper now (in both price and how it is made)

~Octane~
10-14-2007, 10:46 PM
Awsome! Lots of great info. I'll be using it quite a bit while i'm icefishing, to fry up some fresh fish or moose steaks. Most likely on warmer days, but at what temp does the propane models start to freeze up at? If I have a 20 pound tank will it take a colder temp to freeze it up than say a 1 pound tank?

Also, i'm sure usually it will be a quick fry type of thing, no real long meals cooked on it. Is it really a big deal with the gas model to dick around with filling it and pumping it? Surely cant be that hard to figure out, but again as I said..it will be more of a quick thing. I'm leaning towards the propane one right now, especially because the heater I get will be propane, whether it be the Mr. Heater with 1 pound tanks or the heater that fits right ontop of the 20 pound tanks, so they go hand in hand.

Piker
10-15-2007, 07:48 AM
Propane stops vaporizing at minus 40 F. You are a better man than me if you are out fishing when its that cold. Good luck

Orion
10-15-2007, 08:08 AM
I start having problems with propane at around -15 or so. It's not a vapourization problem really, it just starts to feeze up because of the pressure drop across the valve.
At least that's what I think is causing it.

Octane, filling and pressuring the fuel tanks is really no big deal. You get used to it.

Redfrog
10-15-2007, 09:12 AM
Like some of the others here I have used both propane and white gas appliances over the years.
Both have advantages and disadvantages. I used white gas for years when I was hunting from a canoe or horse back. I could juggle the smaller two burner Coleman white gas to cook a decent meal. I also have a 3 burner that I used way back BC. { before camper} with my truck and tent.

I gradually went with more creature comforts and propane seemed to be more user friendly. As I acquired more propane items, I found I pretty much put my white gas gear away.

White gas is hotter, but that isn't really an issue, I can wait an extra few minutes for coffee. I mean it's not like I'm pacing up and down fretting about the time spent. I think the ease of propane hookup outweighs the handling of white gas.

I have some old Coleman lanterns [50 years] with a single mantle. They have the "onion" shaped glass. I don't use them much anymore, mostly for backup, when Im surprised by running out of propane. When I need them, they always work. I have some propane lanterns as well. I find the glass does not stand up to much abuse. Replacements are expensive and hard to find. The Coleman gas glass sells for more than the lanterns cost.

I got away from the horse hunting for about 6 years, but now that I am taking it up again, my white gas gear will come out of storage, and the search for glass, mantles and generators begins.

I have had good service from both types of fuel. With today's global market[made in China] appliances are much cheaper. I didn't say better, I just said cheaper.:)