PDA

View Full Version : When is it sold?

slipbobber
10-13-2007, 10:16 PM
I have an item for sale on the buy & sell forum. Right now I have 2 guys wanting to buy my item. Guy #1 posted that he would take the item for x amount of dollars. Guy #2 who I've PMed back and forth also would like said item but he said that after guy #1 spoke for said item. Do I sell to the person who spoke up for the item first or the guy who can pick up and pay for said item first. After guy #1 made his offer I counter offered his price plus shipping. I have not heard back from him yet but some guys do have a life that doesn"t involve sitting behind a computer all day. I'm sure this goes on all the time but Im not sure what rule of thumb should be used in cases like this.

stubblejumper
10-13-2007, 10:28 PM
I would sell to the person who I made a deal with.If a person offered me less than I was asking,and we had not finalized a deal,I don't feel obligated to them.If a second person came along and met my price,I would sell to the second person.

Rockymtnx
10-13-2007, 10:30 PM
Like I always say. "First one to have the money in my hand."
I have had a lot of people say, "oh yeah I will take it." Then they never do.

Unless you know the person and you are 100% sure you have the sale.

Jamie
10-13-2007, 10:32 PM
Slip, since you have not accepted guy #1's proposal and now guy #2 has stepped forward (Assuming you like the deal with guy #2) I think its ok to sell to guy #2.

Nice that you thought about it though! Shows some class

Jamie

catnthehat
10-13-2007, 10:37 PM
I would sell to the person who I made a deal with.If a person offered me less than I was asking,and we had not finalized a deal,I don't feel obligated to them.If a second person came along and met my price,I would sell to the second person.

DITTO! It is your perogative to wait for an answer back from the original offer or take the higher one.
The difference would be if you had closed a deal for less, and the money was in transit, or you PM'd the guy and said "done deal" type of thing.
I would feel obligatred to go with the original deal then.

If you haven't closed the deal however, like SJ stated, IMHO you are in your right to go with the guy who can EMT or MO, right away.
Cat

Rudy198
10-13-2007, 11:18 PM
IMO-I think if you made a deal with guy 1 he has priority,all i'm saying is that YOU should send him a message stating that if he doesn't respond by the next day then the deal is off OR i would be honest withe guy 1 telling him that you need the asking price because if you don't want it another guy does.BUT like i said it's IMO and i do think guy 1 should get a chance to atleast match the offer.Put yourself in that situation,How would you feel?

Donny Bear
10-13-2007, 11:26 PM
IMO-I think if you made a deal with guy 1 he has priority,all i'm saying is that YOU should send him a message stating that if he doesn't respond by the next day then the deal is off OR i would be honest withe guy 1 telling him that you need the asking price because if you don't want it another guy does.BUT like i said it's IMO and i do think guy 1 should get a chance to atleast match the offer.Put yourself in that situation,How would you feel?

Times 2 good fair advise

slipbobber
10-14-2007, 06:38 AM
I PMed guy #1 last night to ask if he still wanted the item. I gave him a counter offer to which he hasn't responded to yet. Did we have a deal at that point or are we still in the negotiaton stage. Both offers are for the same price.

stubblejumper
10-14-2007, 09:24 AM
I PMed guy #1 last night to ask if he still wanted the item. I gave him a counter offer to which he hasn't responded to yet. Did we have a deal at that point or are we still in the negotiaton stage.

Until both parties agree to the terms,there is no deal.

Versatile
10-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Just like when buying a car you can deal with the salesman but in that time somone might come and buy it for the asking price. I would sell it to the guy who is ready to buy.

The Moose Whisperer
10-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Anal retentive switch "on":

Your posting of an item for sale on the buy/sell forum is simply an "invitation to treat" as opposed to an actual offer. It is the prospective buyers who are making offers to you for the purchase of such an item. As such, a "deal" is not reached until you have accepted one of those offers and communicated such acceptance to the offeror (and making a counter-offer is the opposite of acceptance). That said, the making of a counter-offer is the same as making an initial offer in that it is then open to the other party to accept (and communicate such acceptance to you) to form a binding deal. Further an offer (including a counter-offer) can be revoked by the person making it prior to acceptance (again assuming you communicate such revocation) or, if not explicitly revoked, an offer will naturally expire on the passing of a reasonable period of time.

So... applying the above to the facts of this particular case:

Guy 1:
- He offers to buy the item from you;
- You reject his offer by making and communicating a counter offer to him;
- He goes silent.

At this point, depending on how much time has passed compared to the time lapsed between your prior correspondence, you could argue that your counter-offer has expired and is no longer open for acceptance. However, a more prudent approach would be to PM guy 1 and tell him that your counter-offer is revoked and the item is no longer available. Or, if you are an easy going kind of guy, PM the guy and tell him to sh*# or get off the proverbial pot within a set time frame because you have an interested party waiting in the wings. Following any of the above you are then free to deal with guy #2.

Anal retentive switch "off"

Cheers,

winged1
10-14-2007, 09:30 PM
Time frame being important not only in offer/acceptance, but in specifying the delivery of payment. "I'll buy it", still doesn't close the deal until both parties deliver as agreed.

Nationwide
10-15-2007, 06:39 AM
Like I always say. "First one to have the money in my hand."
I have had a lot of people say, "oh yeah I will take it." Then they never do.

Unless you know the person and you are 100% sure you have the sale.
2x's agreed money talks first one with the cash.WIN"S:wave: