PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Question??

TreeGuy
10-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Hey guys!

So, Mrs. Tree has some elk steaks thawed out for supper tonight. However, this is our first time trying this and any advice offered would be great. BBQ'ing is not an option, and I really DON'T want to put 'em on the good old 'George Foreman Grill'. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Tree

Winch101
10-14-2007, 04:29 PM
Get a heavy roaster , heat up some butter on the stove top
brown the steaks both sides ( salt , pepper , garlic powder )
them before browning. lay in roaster sprinkle with fine bread crumbs
and a little brown sugar .lay potatoes around outside , carrots
onions , celery , all chopped in the middle . Put on lid or seal with foil
in the oven 350degrees for hour or till tater soft ...
Gravy with juice ....

Big Bull
10-14-2007, 05:02 PM
Don't over cook them. Medium rare is perfect, any more than that and you will be making the meat tougher. I cooked up some fresh moose New Yorks last night that had been marinated in extra virgin olive oil for a few hours. I cooked them on the barbeque on the lowest temperature with some Montreal steak spice. They were spectacular!

Tuc
10-14-2007, 06:13 PM
Tree we had some elk steaks tonight too. I don't like them done on the BBQ....usually too dry. There's many ways to cook steak but a moist heat method is preferred. I add mozol oil to the frying pan, spice em up, sear on both sides turn down the burner to med and cook em to med rare.

saltwater cowboy
10-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Okay, heres the best way I have ever eaten any wild steaks. My mom taught me this with big tough moose steaks when I was just a boy.
open can of beer
Take a piece of tin foil roughly 18-24 inches long
put a layer of carrots on the bottom about the size of your steak
add steak and whatever seasoning you like as long as there is pepper involved
add a layer of potatoes and mushrooms
more seasoning
a couple squirts of BBQ sauce(spicey is better)
a couple teaspoons of butter
Pinch tinfoil ends together so it won't leak but leave a little room for air
Put in another layer of tinfoil and do the end thing again
Drink can of beer
put in oven at 325 for about 3 to 3 1/2 hours
enjoy couple more beers
open up and eat right out of the tinfoil like the redneck I am
If this is not indeed the best steak you have ever eaten supply the beer and I will cook a scoff(newfie slang for good eats) for you
PS. just had an Elk roast for supper, belly full!!!!!

Hilgy
10-14-2007, 08:51 PM
Hey Tree,

Is this a real post or just an attempt to make us green with envy.lol

One thing that I have done before that went over well was to make stuffed steaks. I would take some fairly thick steaks and kind of butterfly them. then roll the steak around what ever you like.

I did it once with just the potatoes and carrots and such. I brown the outside after it is all rolled and tied and the cook in the slow cooker.

I have done it with bacon wraped around the outside too.

Hilgy

TreeGuy
10-14-2007, 09:59 PM
I....am....so...full!! I had to waddle my azz out of the kitchen! Now I read all of your advice and I'm starting to get hungry again.....:D Thanks for all the advice.

So, this was kind of a last minute sort of thing, so we didn't have time to marinate. We ('we' meaning, Mrs. Tree) semi-coated them (New Yorks) in flour, and then seared them in the electic skillet for a couple of minutes. She then turned the heat down to nothing, added a can of beef consume, half an onigon, mushrooms, spices (garlic, pepper, Montreal steak seasoning, rosemary, etc), and left it to slow cook.

The steaks were about an inch think, and were ready in about 15 minutes (unexpected), which left us scrambling!

It was awesome! The kids loved it and were asking for seconds, and so was Mrs. Tree. Rarely do we get steaks made out of deer due to the 'film' left in your mouth. These steaks were perfect. No gaminess, no film and sat in the belly quite 'lightly'. We are now going to cut up some of our many roasts into some steaks also. What a night!

Then, we took 4lbs of ground and did up a big batch of meatballs for the freezer. They didn't go as well as I don't think that we managed to get our meat/eggs/bread ratio right, so a bunch of 'em fell apart in the cooking process. Bedtime snack for the kids and I. A few more suppers like that and holy.....I might just crack 170lbs!:evilgrin:

Thanks guys!:wave:

Tree

Hilgy
10-15-2007, 10:57 PM
Glad you had a good feed Tree. Once you have had a freezer full of elk it is hard to eat anything else.

I have my moms old meat ball recipe, if I can find it I will PM you a copy. They work great every time. If you want to add some spice to your meat balls add some jerk seasoning to the raw mixture, they are awesome.

Hilgy

TreeGuy
10-16-2007, 08:42 PM
Thanks Hilgy, that'd be awesome! For sure, thus far, the elk has been our favourite game meat. You still cruising along at 105kmh?:lol:

Tree:wave: