PDA

View Full Version : McGregor still has em!

Fishingnutter
10-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Was getting kind of worried about big fish not being in the Lake, but alas. I cast a red & white Len Thompson, had a very big knock but no fish. My dad gets a huge hit on a smelt but loses fish. His friend fishing for whitefish lands this on a #10 hook and a weeny bit of a smelt. Sadly his 6lb test cut the gill plate pretty bad. The spot we were fishing was close to some very flat land, under a very blue sky, from shore, in a hot, shadeless location. It was 39" long with a 26 1/2" girth and 24.5 lbs. It's being pickled. The fishing was slow and steady, 22 fish overall and a gorgeous 12lb burbot, was starting to worry about them too,,
"... ate the liver with a fine chianti, f-f-f-f-fuhh!"
that's my best Hannibal Lechter impersonation.

EZM
10-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Was getting kind of worried about big fish not being in the Lake, but alas. I cast a red & white Len Thompson, had a very big knock but no fish. My dad gets a huge hit on a smelt but loses fish. His friend fishing for whitefish lands this on a #10 hook and a weeny bit of a smelt. Sadly his 6lb test cut the gill plate pretty bad. The spot we were fishing was close to some very flat land, under a very blue sky, from shore, in a hot, shadeless location. It was 39" long with a 26 1/2" girth and 24.5 lbs. It's being pickled. The fishing was slow and steady, 22 fish overall and a gorgeous 12lb burbot, was starting to worry about them too,,

Not trying to be difficult, or call you out, but check your scale - here's one (caught a few weeks ago) that only 12lbs, 36" and looks to be pretty close in size.

As a side note - I am a massive human being - look at me in the boat - I'm like a giant. lol. The boat is a 17ft smokercraft - (not a 10ft aluminum like it looks like when a guy like me stands in there ...lol).

I can send you a PM (attachment) with a 25lber (from my home computer) - you can see the difference - I'm not sure your scale works.

Maybe MY scale is off - and I've landed the record several times this year.

SuCraM
10-08-2010, 03:19 PM
I agree my 35 inches was about 13 pounds.

mooseknuckle
10-08-2010, 04:33 PM

Nice fish 15 tops!!! But still very nice

pikester
10-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Hey Nutter, do you know what the water temp was that day? How was the water, when I was there last week it was really warm & cloudy & the fish were definitely "off". Curious to know what turned them back on. Glad you guys had a good day :)

Fishingnutter
10-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Hey Nutter, do you know what the water temp was that day? How was the water, when I was there last week it was really warm & cloudy & the fish were definitely "off". Curious to know what turned them back on. Glad you guys had a good day :)

Scale was fine, the girth doesn't show to well in that picture and the other pics would give away our spot, yours looks very skinny. Anyhoo.

Heh Pikester I'll send you a PM.

10-08-2010, 05:49 PM
:sHa_shakeshout:i was there last sunday fishing with minnows and around 7ish the walleyes were feeding like crazy....u cant even put the rod down....great experience:fishing:

Fishingnutter
10-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Not trying to be difficult, or call you out, but check your scale - here's one (caught a few weeks ago) that only 12lbs, 36" and looks to be pretty close in size.

As a side note - I am a massive human being - look at me in the boat - I'm like a giant. lol. The boat is a 17ft smokercraft - (not a 10ft aluminum like it looks like when a guy like me stands in there ...lol).

I can send you a PM (attachment) with a 25lber (from my home computer) - you can see the difference - I'm not sure your scale works.

Maybe MY scale is off - and I've landed the record several times this year.

Double the width, no kidding, it was a pit bull with fins.

Fishfinder
10-09-2010, 06:13 AM
Nice fishy there:) I never weigh my fish, well very rarely, I am curious how does everybody check their scales to ensure they are accurate?
Again nice catch, and a 12# burb to boot, that's awesome!
Cheers n GL all!

billie
10-09-2010, 07:24 AM
Depends on how accurate you want to be but you can pull 2 scales against each other or weigh a known weight (lb of butter) on 2 scales (bath scale). Chances of 2 scales being equally wrong is pretty unlikely. Consider your descrepancies and check against a verified scale if possible.

EZM
10-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Depends on how accurate you want to be but you can pull 2 scales against each other or weigh a known weight (lb of butter) on 2 scales (bath scale). Chances of 2 scales being equally wrong is pretty unlikely. Consider your descrepancies and check against a verified scale if possible.

Both TrophyPikeHunter and I carry scales so we can both compare the wieghts. His is digital and mine is the dial type. They seem to be pretty close. The digital is easier to read for the incrimental values. If I had a "record" fish and was likely going to release it, I'd weigh it with both scales, measure it up, snap some pics of the fish, length, scale reading etc... and get it certified.

Not sure if they can certify a record this way but I will worry about that issue when I land one big enough to be concerned about it. lol.

At the end of the day If we are so lucky to release a 40lb pike from a lake with a zero limit (which would be the AB record), and we know the scale is good, checks out after the fact, and the fish was taken "in a fair angling manner" - then who cares - I will know. That's all that really counts.

We need to catch a few more over 30lbs a little more consistently. It seems the ones over 25lbs are elusive. I've also caught enough 25lbers to know, without a doubt in my mind that they are TWICE the size of the two photos here. A 25lber is a foot longer (in the 46"-48" range) and twice the thickness of both these pics.

mooseknuckle
10-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Both TrophyPikeHunter and I carry scales so we can both compare the wieghts. His is digital and mine is the dial type. They seem to be pretty close. The digital is easier to read for the incrimental values. If I had a "record" fish and was likely going to release it, I'd weigh it with both scales, measure it up, snap some pics of the fish, length, scale reading etc... and get it certified.

Not sure if they can certify a record this way but I will worry about that issue when I land one big enough to be concerned about it. lol.

At the end of the day If we are so lucky to release a 40lb pike from a lake with a zero limit (which would be the AB record), and we know the scale is good, checks out after the fact, and the fish was taken "in a fair angling manner" - then who cares - I will know. That's all that really counts.

We need to catch a few more over 30lbs a little more consistently. It seems the ones over 25lbs are elusive. I've also caught enough 25lbers to know, without a doubt in my mind that they are TWICE the size of the two photos here. A 25lber is a foot longer (in the 46"-48" range) and twice the thickness of both these pics.

Bang on!!

barbless
10-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Yup, have to agree with EZM, from the size your fish, to me it does not look 24.5lbs. My guess would be 12-14lbs. tops. I have caught an 18lb. shark from there and it was definitly bigger than what your holding. Have caught lots in the 10-12lb. range and yours looks familiar. Still all in all, very nice fish. I'm still jealous.

tacklerunner
10-09-2010, 02:36 PM
[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Bang on!!

X4. Got a fat 42 incher that was 20 lbs 3 oz which falls in line with what you're all saying

hunter49
10-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Have to agree, while the pike is a nice one (sad to see it dead). It is nowhere near a 26.5 inch girth or a 24.5 lb fish.

omega50
10-13-2010, 07:28 AM
Gee. I guess that I missed the part of his post where he asked everyone what size you thought his fish was.lol

Geezle
10-13-2010, 07:36 AM
I'm confused. It says 'guest' under fishingnutter's name now. Did he leave the forum? :confused:

DarkAisling
10-13-2010, 08:20 AM
I'm confused. It says 'guest' under fishingnutter's name now. Did he leave the forum? :confused:

Yup. He left.

It really leaves me shaking my head. I'm not sure why people have to get their knickers in a twist over a fish. Does it really matter what the fish weighed, or didn't weigh?

Fishingnutter had a great day on the water, and was pleased with his catch. He wanted to share the story. Some of the folks around here are pretty darn good about tainting things for people.

I've said it more than once: you won't see a photo of my fish on this site (unless it was like your key-chain perch!). Will I regale you with tales of my catches if I'm proud of them? Nope (unless it is around a campfire). I'll share things that are amusing or tongue-in-cheek with the forum, but if something actually means something to me it won't be posted here.

MoFugger21
10-13-2010, 10:32 AM
Yup. He left.

It really leaves me shaking my head. I'm not sure why people have to get their knickers in a twist over a fish. Does it really matter what the fish weighed, or didn't weigh?

This is the exact reason I don't like posting pictures on here anymore. I've posted a few in the past but don't think I will anymore. Some people just take it upon themselves to ruin a good story or nice picture with the typical responses:

"Check you scale, that ain't xx lbs, look at my fish [pic], now that's xx lbs"
"You better not have kept that fish"
"Yup, have to agree with that statement above, no bloody way it's xx lbs"
"Your scale is wrong!"

Seriously, who cares?? I don't know if people feel better about themselves by pointing out things that appear to be incorrect about the picture or story, but its no wonder people get discouraged about posting pictures or stories on this forum. Lots of people on here are critics about every little detail. How bout saying:

"Nice fish"
"Awesome catch"
"Thanks for sharing"

Nice catch Fishingnutter, hope you find some more out there like that one! Gl sir!

Newspeak
10-13-2010, 11:46 AM
That's a huge fish out of Mcgregor!

Looks much fatter than the pic EZM posted for sure!

Newspeak
10-13-2010, 01:11 PM
Oh, and looks like it will tasty too!
Mmmmmm. Pickled pike!

hunter49
10-13-2010, 10:57 PM
This is the exact reason I don't like posting pictures on here anymore. I've posted a few in the past but don't think I will anymore. Some people just take it upon themselves to ruin a good story or nice picture with the typical responses:

"Check you scale, that ain't xx lbs, look at my fish [pic], now that's xx lbs"
"You better not have kept that fish"
"Yup, have to agree with that statement above, no bloody way it's xx lbs"
"Your scale is wrong!"

Seriously, who cares?? I don't know if people feel better about themselves by pointing out things that appear to be incorrect about the picture or story, but its no wonder people get discouraged about posting pictures or stories on this forum. Lots of people on here are critics about every little detail. How bout saying:

"Nice fish"
"Awesome catch"
"Thanks for sharing"

Nice catch Fishingnutter, hope you find some more out there like that one! Gl sir!

My question to you is why cant people just be happy with what they caught and not exaggerate the size of the fish.

DarkAisling
10-14-2010, 06:18 AM
My question to you is why cant people just be happy with what they caught and not exaggerate the size of the fish.

People are happy with what they caught: they wouldn't be posting photos otherwise. I doubt someone would knowingly post erroneous data knowing that the "experts" here are only too happy to call them out on it.

From my perspective, good sportsmanship encompasses more than just our conduct out on the water. I may say privately to a friend "Geeze man, I think you have to check your scale." I am, however, personally quite content to let people enjoy their catch and share their stories (I quite enjoy it).

MoFugger21
10-14-2010, 07:53 AM

Does it hurt your feelings if someone says their fish is 15 lbs when it most likely is only 10-12lbs...?? What the hell is the difference really? Maybe they didn't use a scale and were just guessing they weight?

I don't think they purposely exaggerate the size of their fish so they can get in a dick swinging contest with the rest of the forum. I'm sure 90% of the people that post pictures on here are just excited about their catch and want to share the picture or story with everyone else. So why do people take it upon themselves to run down the people who post pictures?

Maybe this forum should just become an information forum and not allow the posting of pictures. That way when someone says their fish is 15lbs, no one will ever know or have the ability to question whether it really is.

diadromous
10-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Nice fish no matter what it weighed. Too bad its gill plate was cut and had to be eaten, but nice catch.

TexasTornado
10-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Nice fish no matter what it weighed. Too bad its gill plate was cut and had to be eaten, but nice catch.

Unfortunatley i over looked that part while reading the first time, now i understand why the pike was kept.

Cheers,

hunter49
10-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Does it hurt your feelings if someone says their fish is 15 lbs when it most likely is only 10-12lbs...?? What the hell is the difference really? Maybe they didn't use a scale and were just guessing they weight?

If they dont have a scale, and have no experience guessing weights of fish..why dont they just put up the picture and have everyone guess at it. Instead of making a fool out of themselves by throwing out completely off weight/girth estimates and getting called out on it by 10 different people and then THEIR feelings get hurt and they delete their account.

admin
10-14-2010, 11:50 AM
I see this too often here in the fishing section where someone is happy about their catch and posts pictures, only to have several people try to call him out on a weight or size, based on what they think they see in a picture. There's no need for this, how about just let the guy enjoy his moment?
This thread has run it's course.
Closed