PDA

View Full Version : x-box 360 vs playstation 3

pintailslammer
10-14-2007, 09:41 PM
OKay

I'm going to by my son either an x-box 360 or a playstation 3 for x-mas.

I need some help from you younger bucks out there. What would you buy and why

Which has better graphics The x-box 360 or the playstation 3. Also where is the best place to buy one in Edmonton

Thanks

PIn

Baulde
10-14-2007, 09:50 PM
Its been a while since I have been into games. But should I get a system. It would be xbox. PS3 is overpriced, limited game selection. And the game to have right now and for quite a while longer is halo(xbox).

Although there are sony fanboys kicking around, and they promote anything sony like its a religion.

I would look at what games are available and what he would want to play.

Personaly I'll just stick with a computer

TreeGuy
10-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Hey Pintailslammer!

I have a PS2, and the odd time we use it, it's a hoot. My (almost) 6 year old son and I are pretty equal (equal meaning kick azz!!:evilgrin: ) at the games we have. It's a great bonding thing when getting out of the house isn't an option.

X-box is made by Microsoft, and if you have some techie pals, it is unbelievable what you can do. My buddy has movies downloaded on the darn thing, plus a ton of games right on the hard drive. They excel with the online thing, especially when it comes to something like the 'Halo' series, where you can actually wear a headset and speak 'real-time' to you team mates. The main problem with their unit has been over heating. Alot of people stuffed 'em into small spaces, and with that much power in the machine, it really needs alot of ventelation.

Sony is Sony. Top notch equipment, and practically every new game release is compatible with it. They know what they are doing and put out a solid product.

However, what I'd do is pick up an older PS2. Everyone is going the new route, so you can get used machines and games cheap, cheap, cheap! Good luck!

Tree

ULTRAlite
10-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Xbox 360 - based on the huge advantage they have over PS in the number of game titles

Bang Drop
10-15-2007, 08:05 AM
OKay

I'm going to by my son either an x-box 360 or a playstation 3 for x-mas.

I need some help from you younger bucks out there. What would you buy and why

Which has better graphics The x-box 360 or the playstation 3. Also where is the best place to buy one in Edmonton

Thanks

PIn

Depends on how old your son is and what type(s) of games he likes to play. If he is younger I would go for the Wii, if he is a teenager then I don't think you can go wrong with either the XBox 360 or the PS3. The XBox 360 seems to cater to the older teen to the "in your 20's" age group. Lots of first person shooter games, lots of blood and gore.

Personally I have both an XBox 360 and the Nintendo Wii, like them both. I didn't get a PS3 only because it wasn't out when I was buying and I didn't like the huge price.

russ
10-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Personally, I like the wii. I can get right into the games.

50BMG
10-15-2007, 05:19 PM

rugatika
10-15-2007, 07:39 PM
Well I may not be a young buck but I'd recommend the XBOX 360 (I just ordered one with my airmiles specifically for Halo 3). I plan on acting like an adult in aobut 30 years. :lol: :lol:

russ
10-15-2007, 09:59 PM
Eh rug - the fastest growing market for gaming is the +40 crowd!

7 REM MAG
10-16-2007, 07:47 PM
the ps3 is compatible with the ps and ps2 games the x-box 360 is compatible with some and deffinetly no where even near half of them so games like barbie will work but halo 1 and 2 wont work

russ
10-17-2007, 05:10 AM
As far as backwards compatibility goes - the wii is supposed to be able to play tons of past games. Plus you can download some of the classics.

WCTHEMI
10-17-2007, 11:34 PM
One thing to remember, the 360 has no HDMI output, the PS3 does, so if true high def is important, the PS3 would be a better buy.

AbAngler
10-18-2007, 10:14 AM
One thing to remember, the 360 has no HDMI output,

Mine does. :D

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9757547-7.html

Okotokian
10-18-2007, 10:33 AM
it would be really helpful if this wasn't a surprise for your son. If it isn't, take him to a good store and look at the titles of the games. Pick the system that has more of the ones he likes. Both are fine systems. My sons have the x-box 360 and like it, but even my techie son will admit the PS3 is a little more high tech. Check online gaming availability and cost as well, he will want to play others online. "X-Box Live" is good and not very expensive. Don't know what PS3 uses.

Okotokian
10-18-2007, 01:56 PM
heard on the radio that they just lopped $100 off the price of 100 GIG PS2, down to $500. might be the way to go now.

Poacher Boy
10-19-2007, 08:52 AM
xbox 360s have the games and the internet gaming but when it comes to quality picture ps3 has it. its not just a game system or a dvd player it has blue ray highdef and is a tv recorder( kinda like the vhs recorders but this is uses a hard drive) the contollers are simple and with sum games u can use them like the Wii controllers to steer etc. xboxs have over heating problems and when they first come out they had to recall thousands of them. My brother owns the Wii its funn and u can get almost every old nintendo game out there for it, its simple, easy to us and gets ur @#$ off the coach for sum of the games. my dad has even gotten into the wii playing golf and stuff.

Okotokian
10-19-2007, 09:12 AM
I think the picture quality issue is marginal. My son uses an x-box with an HD TV, and it looks pretty darn good to me.

I think the overheating issues are in the past.My son did have a problem, complained to Microsoft after about a year, so they just gave him a new one.