PDA

View Full Version : Big three screwing us

wonka
10-14-2007, 10:34 PM
:mad3: I have been toying with replacing my truck, 2003 duramax crew cab, and have even gone as far as getting some pricing. It comes down to BEST deal I can get here is 62,000.00. Thats with dealer pricing (list was 71,000). BUT crossing the border, the exact same truck (option wise, short of daytime running lights and kilo's on the odo ) is 49,560.00 LIST. I have also been told that gm will void the warranty if I import the truck ( they are ALL, duramaxes that is, built in the same plant). Man that burns my toast, I have sent gm canada an e-mail asking for some form of justification, but I'm not holding my breath.
I'm sure that ford and dodge are pricing the same way, and with the loonie stronger now, I can't wait to hear some kind of explaination.
rant finished
just something to chew on.:mad3:

stubblejumper
10-14-2007, 10:37 PM
American dealers are also being threatened that if they sell to Canadians,they could be penalized,and possibly even lose their franchises.

http://thegarageblog.com/garage/canadians-launch-price-fixing-lawsuit-against-car-manufacturers/

russ
10-15-2007, 06:34 AM
This is just the reverse of 3 years ago. GM is going to tell you they were subsidizing the price of vehicles being sold in Canada. They have already set up the talking points and you'll hear the same stories from Ford & Dodge. Free trade is an illusion.

The Elkster
10-15-2007, 07:58 AM
I think its BS too but look at the numbers. Personally I'd take the $12-15K in savings. What is going to go wrong thats going to cost $12-15K in warranty work? And even if it does happen your still even! Although if I thought something worth 12-15K was gonna go on it I wouldn't buy it in the first place.

In this day and age warranties are way overrated...Fear sells.

ABwhitetail
10-15-2007, 08:23 AM
Word is it is now illegal for the US dealerships to sell you the vehicle unless you have a US land address....no PO Boxes....

Just a rumor maybe????

SakoAlberta
10-15-2007, 08:37 AM
nope, more than a rumor. chyrsler dealer in vegas told me exactly that. they will sell used though.

wonka
10-15-2007, 08:47 AM
I know I have had no warranty issues with this truck, so it is an option, as long as the dealership will sell it. I know a couple that are refusing to sell to canadians now, and it makes it so much easier if they take care of the export papers at the border. Might be making a trip further south, I guess at least that way it will be ready to pull the trailer when I get it home ( 500 mile break-in).

Russ I believe it's only the duramax trucks that are assembled south of the border, the rest are out of the oshawa truck plant. Also IT'S the canadian gov't that has been subsidizing all the automakers (gm recieved 200 million in 2005). As of 2004 more gm vehicle are built in canada than in michigan, so they (gm) have in fact been making way more off these vehicles (paying loonies and charging dollars).

It simply comes down to they will charge what consumers will pay. Same with fuel costs, banking fees etc. they all cry they are suffering, then RBC posts a quarter profit of 4 billion.
Good ole' canucks we take it up the ass and never even get a kiss or a reach around, man I'm just saying it's time for a change. Time for us to band together and stand up and say we won't take it any more. Hell I got my bank to limit my service charges to 11.00 a month with unlimited transactions just by bitchin. Still trying to get them to reduce the interest charges on the visa, might have to switch to capital one.
:mad3: :mad3: :mad3:

Chung66
10-15-2007, 08:53 AM
The ones I saw on TV that would not sell to Candians were Toyot and Honda. Looks like all of them are putting the screws to us.

Rockymtnx
10-15-2007, 08:57 AM
Its true. No warranty if bought new.
My friend is getting a new 08 Duramax out of Nebraska.
He is having somone else purchase it then he is buying it from him "used".
$10,000 - $15,000 savings

chuck0039
10-15-2007, 09:07 AM
Just a question on this, but doesn't the dealerships have to sell the old inventory that they had before the dollar took off, before they can lower the price of the new vehicle? it would not make much sense to me to for a dealer to buy vehicles at a set price while the canadian dollar is still below the american dollar and then have to lower there prices once the cad passes the american dollar. It is the same as the gas price, the gas stations are not suppose to raise there price untill all of the old stock is out then they receive the new prices.

sheephunter
10-15-2007, 09:15 AM
I don't buy into this old inventory arguement. Most dealers don't hold a vehicle for more than a few months and the dollar hasn't changed that much since August. On the flip side, the big three did heavily susidize our trucks back in the early 2000s. Remember when you could drive a truck for a year and then sell it in the U.S. for more than you paid? I guess they are just trying to recoop some of those loses.

tyee43
10-15-2007, 09:15 AM
The automakers price their vehicles all over the world differently, depending on what people will pay in a particular market - it is the same thing in Europe - you're exactly right - we're getting screwed here - there has been a class action lawsuit started in Ontario, that is awaiting certification, against GM on this very issue...

Try Costco USA - one of my buddies just bought his vehicle through Costco, which then put him onto a dealership in Phoenix, and they delivered his vehicle to Vegas, where he took delivery...

tyee43

russ
10-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Russ I believe it's only the duramax trucks that are assembled south of the border,

Actually the trucks are assembled in a number of plants in the US, Canada & Mexico. If you look at your VIN (serial number) the first digit will tell you the country of origin. 1 = US, 2 = Canada & 3 = Mexico. (J = Japan & K = Korea FYI) While certain plants build specific models, there are models other than the Duramax diesels that are built in the U.S. & Mexico being sold in Canada. More specifically, I believe the Avalanche & Suburban are both built in Mexican plants. While some of the Extended Cabs are built in US plants.

JohninAB
10-15-2007, 11:23 AM
My hunting partner just bought his truck off Ebay out of the states. 2006 Dodge 2500 diesel fully loaded and I do mean loaded with 6900 miles on it. Paid $36000 Canadian for it but no warranty from Dodge but you can by aftermarket warranties if you want. Know I will be buying from the states if our dollar stays like this much longer. Savings are just too great not to.

Rockymtnx
10-15-2007, 03:01 PM
I just got the price back on that 2008 Crew Cab 2500 LZT Duramax.
Looks like $48,000 will be the sale price.
Looks like there will be a trip south in a couple weeks.

Doc Holiday
10-15-2007, 03:12 PM
Goin to pick up my new quad from Great Falls next wk. Saved 3500.00. Camo, 2500lb winch, hand & thumbwarmers all in the price. Why wouldnt ya cross the line?

Okotokian
10-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Of course we are getting screwed, and not just in cars and trucks. US and Canadian pricing should be identical now. Buy Japanese my friend.

oh, and don't bother writing Ford.... write your MP. There should be an investigation.

russ
10-15-2007, 04:35 PM
Okotokian, now that's funny. The Japanese are just as guilty of double standard pricing as the big 3. In fact it is said that Honda is one of the first companies to be actively denying warranty to US purchased vehicles in Canada. The Big3 are rattling their sabres but have done nothing official yet.

stubblejumper
10-15-2007, 06:48 PM
Word is it is now illegal for the US dealerships to sell you the vehicle unless you have a US land address....no PO Boxes....

It is not illegal.It is the vehicle manufacturers policy,that they are forcing on their American dealers.A friend called a GM dealership in Great Falls and was told that they could not sell him a GM,but they also sold Subaru,and would be happy to sell him a new one.

sprinklerdog
10-15-2007, 07:31 PM
I read in the paper recently that a group of lawyers in Ontario were starting a class action suit against this exact thing. I'm not sure of the status.
I do know when I was in Los Angeles that my brother in law told me that it is a state law that the car dealers there must show the price the dealer pays for the vehicle the same way we see the msrp here. The dealer can then mark up the price however they see fit. On most vehicles they only markup 10% unless it is a high demand vehicle.

Geo

Doc Holiday
10-15-2007, 08:02 PM

Just a rumor maybe????

I think the US land address thing is more fer warranty purposes, you have to register the warranty there... ( no good here.. ) The dealership I got my bike off of confirmed this.

Also, buddy bought a used ( 2300km ) GM Acalade ( sp? ) SUV... loaded... I mean loaded to the 9's man, saved a HEAP of $$$... but has warranty in Canada. :huh: Only after 6 months... and he has actually put 12,000 km on the vehicle. Sound stupid? He's picking it up this wk. Somehow the dealers are getting around it. Might be something to look into, if considering buying a vehicle down south.

gramps73
10-15-2007, 08:12 PM
A buddy of mine bought a Honda Ridgeline out of Texas last month and the kicker is that the truck was built in Canada for export.
As far a dealers selling to Canadians they are going to sell them who ever you are.
Just got back from Montana today with my 2008 TRX500 Honda saved 2500.00 from what I would have had to pay.
G

redcoat01
10-15-2007, 08:36 PM
You bet us Canadians are getting in the ear ... I sent Costco Canada an E mail about why the identical Garmin GPS in Canada is 200.00 more on the Costco.ca website . Here is a their E Mail response ... I agree write your MP's that are perched up on the Hill in Ottawa ..... I call it legalized theft :mad3:

Dear valued customer,

In response to your email, the price structure varies between countries
from different vendors. Most of the vendors have a separate office,
organisation and operate on their own in Canada. So we can't only add
the exchange rate to the American prices and assume that this should be
the price in Canada.

We need to compare ourselves to the other Canadian retailers and make
sure we are competitive within our Country. Please note that the
Canadian market differs from the US, and the overall cost to have US
products available in Canada increases the sell price in the Canadian
market.

Please reply to this email if you have any other inquiries.

Thank you,
Patty
Costco Wholesale Canada ltd.
service@costco.ca

* Visit www.costco.ca to receive our exclusive offers by email.

59whiskers
10-15-2007, 08:42 PM
There are some good deals across the line. Dealers in Alberta are feelling pressure from business going south. Just bought a 2006 Chev Impala in Lethbridge and the price was very comparable to the cheapest one I found on line in a lot in Butte Montana. The Lethbridge dealer matched the price to keep from losing another sale to the USA. I know a couple guys buying trailers, boats and vehicles bringing them back for resale.

wonka
10-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Thank you for your e-mail.

In response to your comments regarding the price difference between products sold by General Motors Corporation (GMC) in the United States and General Motors of Canada Limited (GMCL), we must clarify that these two divisions of General Motors operate independently of each other.

There are basic economic differences between Canada and the United States and, as such, vehicle pricing, parts pricing, service pricing and purchase incentives are not concurrent between the two divisions. Canadian pricing is determined in accordance with what the Canadian market dictates or demands. Canadian vehicles are not priced based on U.S. pricing plus exchange, but rather on the basis of the Canadian marketplace and for the purpose of being competitive.

We appreciate your comments and thank you for contacting General Motors of Canada Limited. Please visit our website again!

Heather Cameron
Customer Communication Centre
General Motors of Canada Limited

And yea, for all the guys buying quads, been there done that, we have bought four in the last three years, all from sports city cyclery in great falls

stubblejumper
10-15-2007, 09:13 PM
If we really want to send a message to these Canadian companies,we need to avoid buying from them as much as possible.Over the last year.I have done much of my shopping online from American suppliers,and the savings have been substantial.As far as vehicles are concerned,if the Canadian dollar is still competitive with the American dollar when I am in the market for another vehicle,I will buy a vehicle from a company whose American dealers are allowed to sell to Canadians.Unless of course the Canadian prices become competitive by then.

russ
10-15-2007, 09:58 PM
Thank you for your e-mail.

In response to your comments regarding the price difference between products sold by General Motors Corporation (GMC) in the United States and General Motors of Canada Limited (GMCL), we must clarify that these two divisions of General Motors operate independently of each other.

There are basic economic differences between Canada and the United States and, as such, vehicle pricing, parts pricing, service pricing and purchase incentives are not concurrent between the two divisions. Canadian pricing is determined in accordance with what the Canadian market dictates or demands. Canadian vehicles are not priced based on U.S. pricing plus exchange, but rather on the basis of the Canadian marketplace and for the purpose of being competitive.

We appreciate your comments and thank you for contacting General Motors of Canada Limited. Please visit our website again!

She's lucky I'm not asking the questions.

$4 for a fuse that I can buy down the street for 0.95 cents? What planet are these people on?

stubblejumper
10-15-2007, 10:18 PM
$4 for a fuse that I can buy down the street for 0.95 cents? What planet are these people on?

As long as Canadians continue to let them hose us,they will continue to do so.

russ
10-16-2007, 06:48 AM
As long as Canadians continue to let them hose us,they will continue to do so.

I haven't seen anyone willing yet. I've got lots of fuses that are only being used for warranty repair.

LongDraw
10-16-2007, 08:09 AM
Just heard that Bombardier has told all of its US dealers that if they sell any of their products to canadians they must add a surcharge, in some cases $4000.00 What is obscene about this is how heavily subsidised this canadian company is, manufactured in canada by canadians and we pay up to a 40% "tax" for this.

One thing I can assure you is now with the dollar at par the market will sort this out on its own. I just drove by a Ford dealer that was stacked with inventory. I feel for the canadian dealers, as margins are thin on new vehicles to begin with. Trust me the canadian dealers want the warranty to be valid on US vehicles as as much or more money is there for the dealers with the service/warranty.

The wife and I made a trip down south in September and spent probably $3000.00 dollars on all sorts of stuff, money that would have been spent on the north side of the border if if prices were even close to comparable. If retailers in Canada don't get their act together they only affect their own pocket books.

I understand that Canada has a higher cost of living, but a 30-50% difference in retail is just too much to ignore in a price difference.

Okotokian
10-16-2007, 10:13 AM
I could be wrong, but isn't it illegal under the the Free Trade pact to differentially price products by country? And if a truck is built in Canada, exported to the US, and sold there for less than it's sold in Canada, isn't that "dumping" according to international trade definitions?

Anyway, I wrote my MP yesterday and told him to get after it. Not holding my breath though LOL

LongDraw
10-16-2007, 02:19 PM
I could be wrong, but isn't it illegal under the the Free Trade pact to differentially price products by country? And if a truck is built in Canada, exported to the US, and sold there for less than it's sold in Canada, isn't that "dumping" according to international trade definitions?

Anyway, I wrote my MP yesterday and told him to get after it. Not holding my breath though LOL

I believe a class action law suite has been filed against the N.A. vehicle manufacturers on this claim?