PDA

View Full Version : Where do you shop for smelts?

omega50
10-10-2010, 09:23 AM
I used to buy a big bag of smelts from Superstore and break them into small bags of 5 and cryovac them. Then I could just open what I need when I went fishing.

But occasionally got frustrated if they were out

I went to a small Phillipino grocery the other day close to my house and was thrilled to see a huge supply of smelts for cheap.

So, I went to a few other of these little groceries and they all carried them for dirt cheap

Geezle
10-10-2010, 09:28 AM
I'm still working on a bag I picked up from Superstore this spring :lol: but if I couldn't find them there, the ol T&T asian supermarket has all sorts of cheap fishy things that make great bait :)

omega50
10-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Hmmmm. I guess I lose a lot more smelts than you do.lol

Old habit using Russian Hooks thru the ice. Seems to drive the pike crazy, but I do lose a few

bushnell
10-10-2010, 09:51 AM
I agree with getting most of my bait at either T&T, or at Superstore. I keep my eyes open for fresh herring, alot cheaper than buying at baitshops. I will repack them by rolling them one at a time in plastic wrap. This way I can unroll them as I need them.

Geezle
10-10-2010, 10:07 AM
Hmmmm. I guess I lose a lot more smelts than you do.lol

Old habit using Russian Hooks thru the ice. Seems to drive the pike crazy, but I do lose a few

Nah, I just don't really use them during the open water season. I'm sure I'll be flying through them come ice up :lol:

gordfishing
10-10-2010, 03:29 PM
last year , I had the best success ice fishing with the head-less cleaned smelts from Superstore

DANOMAN
10-10-2010, 03:52 PM
There is a Fish store in the downtown I believe it's called billingsgate i used to get bags of smelts with the heads on there.

the local angler
10-10-2010, 04:21 PM
actually danoman billingsgate use to be on the east village area near the drop in center and it has moved for a few years now and are now located in the strip mall across from the foothills hospital.its next to vanhorn secondary school i think.you can see it from 16th ave going west.

gui
10-10-2010, 04:37 PM
i know lots of places you can go... if you live in red deer. you can go to canadian tire south(north dont carry them), sportsmen den, ufa has lots in a bag for cheaper... definately the place to go, gti in sylvan,or this other place in sylvan i dont remember the name but they sell hockey and water skiing things in there etc. they have frozen smelts there too, prob, superstore and i think this new store on gasoline alley call wolverine beside the galaxy. thats all i can think of right now but ufa is the best place to go for bait... way cheaper and you get more in a bag. i hope that helps.

Erik
10-10-2010, 09:38 PM
I buy mine at Superstore. The thing that frustrates me is that all the tails are missing. Only 1 in 20 have a tail. Sad thing is that the bait at the fishing stores is hardly any better. If you look at the herring all the scales are missing, the smelts have no tails and the minnows and sardines are in no better shape. Seriously, whoever supplies the bait in these parts does a lousy job.

TJG
10-12-2010, 11:32 AM
i know lots of places you can go... if you live in red deer. you can go to canadian tire south(north dont carry them), sportsmen den, ufa has lots in a bag for cheaper... definately the place to go, gti in sylvan,or this other place in sylvan i dont remember the name but they sell hockey and water skiing things in there etc. they have frozen smelts there too, prob, superstore and i think this new store on gasoline alley call wolverine beside the galaxy. thats all i can think of right now but ufa is the best place to go for bait... way cheaper and you get more in a bag. i hope that helps.

Gui is right, UFA has bags of them and I think they are putting them on
sale or going to make smaller bags. Right now they are in bulk, 25# on sale
for $75.00, where $110.

TexasTornado
10-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Superstore & Petland are the best places to buy bait. I buy 12" Mackeral at Superstore for tip ups and big bags of smelts that i just rebag in ziplocks 6per and freeze.

flyfisherman
10-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Superstore is by far your best option. I've found that the 'Chilean Silver Sides' work best

mustard73
10-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Some T&T markets have bulk smelts.