PDA

View Full Version : Homemade hardwater pike rigs

omega50
10-10-2010, 10:13 AM
My friends wife gave me a huge box of these homemade ice fishing rigs about 10 years ago when her dad passed away. He lived east of the Hat in Irvine and tinkered in his shop.
They are simple and work amazing.
Just some plywood, old spools, band steel and cotter pins for eyelets used for line quides and retention cord. They break down easily and are a ton of fun.

I actually use them all summer. I put them on the dock at Clear and go straight down.Slap the top every once in a while and she bounces to give it a bit of action.

Come on Winter-Let it snow. I am ready

stephane
10-10-2010, 10:57 AM
i have seen a few people as well as myself who have made themselves something similar to this.

I have had great success with a similar design. they dont have much resistance on the bait and but show a great deal of whats going on through the ice.
had a few problems making a system to eventually release the line from mine, but thats because they are much smaller/more sensitive

good luck on using these this winter :happy0034:

pikester
10-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Cool! I know that style is all the rage in the last couple winters I've seen them everywhere. I've never found out what kind of spring steel they are made out of & where to get it though.

Guitarplayingfish
10-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Sigh.. I used to have like 6 of those, and I just cannot find where I put them or what I did with them. disappointing.

czoom
10-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Awesome. I need to try to do something like this someday. Cool stuff though.

Kim473
10-11-2010, 08:34 AM
A buddy of mine has simalar that work realy good. The only dif is the strapping he used was a real heavy crate strapping about half the thickness that you have and 1 X 1 legs that fold in for transport. The strapping is thin enough that a 10 km wind will jig them selfs. And just hangs a bell on them for a strick indicator. Those should work great, but you can only use two lines now remember.

Kim473
10-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Cool! I know that style is all the rage in the last couple winters I've seen them everywhere. I've never found out what kind of spring steel they are made out of & where to get it though.

Use a real heavy crate strapping. A buddy got some that CN had railroad ties straped together. About 3/32" X 2"

omega50
10-11-2010, 09:21 AM
Use a real heavy crate strapping. A buddy got some that CN had railroad ties straped together. About 3/32" X 2"

Hard to see in the pics, but there is 4 different widths and thickness's of the bands. Some very flexible and thin for perch and trout and some stiffer for pike.
Someone will know what these markings mean that are stamped on the steel.

AAR-22 increasing to the thickest being AAR-27