PDA

View Full Version : 4000 size reels

Geezle
10-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Just wondering how many of you folks out there are using 4000 size reels, and what (in Alberta) you're using them for :)

I have a couple that I use on my sturgeon rod, but I have a spare one floating around that I'm thinking about slapping on a pike rod for kicks, though I'm thinking that it might be a little on the heavy side for pitching lures all day. :thinking-006:

sturgeonhound
10-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Geezle,
4000 for pike are just fine....I actually find them better for larger baits that the 2000 or 2500 that I have. Handles are slightly longer and it makes cranking large baits in a bit easier.

As for sturgeon, they are ok as long as you don't get a honker on. I used to use them, but switched to level winds...much better drag system for stopping larger fish.

SH

nicemustang
10-11-2010, 06:05 PM
I do. Sidestab 4000. Use it for general fishing. 120 Feet jigging at spray. Trolling on bottom in deep lakes, use it for trolling in northern sask. It's no different than a 2500 except you can put more line on the reel, otherwise mechanics are the same.

Crossfire
10-11-2010, 07:03 PM
i use shimano stradic 3000fi for fishing big pike spooled with about 140yrds of 20lb powerpro i have caught alot of big fish on this reel and can cast all day no problem but if you want the line capacity of a 4000 and an light weight . Shimano just came out with the larger version of The Stradic C14 which is one of the lightest reels on the market The STCI44000F It comes in at 9.3 ounces (4000size) compared to the regular stradic 4000 that is 11.6ounces They are about $220 and a really nice real

Cal
10-11-2010, 07:33 PM
I use 4000 size reels for everything except trout and perch. I prefer mono to braid and find that the larger spool makes it more friendly. As well I find that the extra weight brings the ballance point of the rod closer to your hand and can actualy be less tiring to cast depending on the weight of your rod. This summer I got tired of equipment wearing out and put a Daiwa BG15 (about the same size as a 4000) on an uglystick lite and I can cast it all day. The Daiwa is an absolute tank, virtualy unchanged since the mid 70's with all metal construction, designed for sal****er abuse... so I wouldnt worry about throwing on a shimano.

Geezle
10-12-2010, 06:55 AM
Geezle,
4000 for pike are just fine....I actually find them better for larger baits that the 2000 or 2500 that I have. Handles are slightly longer and it makes cranking large baits in a bit easier.

As for sturgeon, they are ok as long as you don't get a honker on. I used to use them, but switched to level winds...much better drag system for stopping larger fish.

SH

Good to know. I've only ever used my 4000 reels for chucking bait, so I wasn't really sure how it'd handle lures on a slightly lighter rod.

As for using a 4000 reel for sturgeon...well, I only managed two this year, and only one was a biggun, and it held up fine, so unless I somehow get myself into a whack of sturgeon I think I'll be okay for now :) I was more concerned about my rod than the reel on the big guy :lol:

I've been talking to buckmaster, and I may have to try to get you to take me out some time to really test that reel :innocent: