PDA

View Full Version : need anti swallowing hooks recs please

howlin
10-11-2010, 12:01 PM
ive had this problem each time i go out ,smallish trout swallowing my hooks ive tried bigger hooks and bait (and im on the strike right away )its like they inhail rather then bite.ive heard of round tipe hooks but im wondering what you guys out there in ao land use.please lets not turn this into a bash thread ,to much of that lately.

Cal
10-11-2010, 12:13 PM
use flys instead of bait or else use spinners or spoons. Rapala used to make these weedless spoon lures, I got plenty of strikes on them but I have yet to see one hook a fish at all, if you could find some in trout sizes they would solve your problem for sure.

npauls
10-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Whenever you are using bait there is a higher chance of inhaling that bait and taking a hook deep. If you aren't keeping the fish then I would say to either try your best to get the hook out with as little damage as possible or cut your line and tie a new hook on. Fish will inhale a bait way more often then a lure.

Nate

Deano85
10-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Try circle hooks.

Drewski Canuck
10-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Used these for years in fresh and salt. Unless the hook is swallowed into the stomach, no way you will get a deep hook set with a circle.

Drewski

howlin
10-11-2010, 11:14 PM
ya circle hooks thats what ive been trying to remember the names of ,thanks ,i'll try those ,the theory behind them sounds good and the reviews are good ,any favorite brands?ive had bad luck with rapala regular hooks (to brittle)

Geezle
10-12-2010, 06:36 AM
ya circle hooks thats what ive been trying to remember the names of ,thanks ,i'll try those ,the theory behind them sounds good and the reviews are good ,any favorite brands?ive had bad luck with rapala regular hooks (to brittle)

I've become a big fan of the Gamakatsu hooks. They're a little more expensive than the average, but they're the only hook sharp enough to make me bleed my own blood when I accidentally stick myself with 'em :sHa_sarcasticlol:

great white whaler
10-12-2010, 08:38 AM
smallest circle hook in eagle claw, when swallowed i cut the line,,,, thats what i do.:bad_boys_20: