PDA

View Full Version : Bull Moose Still Coming to Calls?

HunterDave
10-16-2010, 11:31 AM
I was out bowhunting the first week of October and I had some success calling in a small bull but I couldn't get a clean shot. I've been told that a large percentage of the cows get impregnated during the first week of October so that's probably the peak of the rut. I might have time to go out again early next week but I was wondering what I could expect as far as calling in a bull. Will they still come to the call, answer but not come to it or pretty much ignor it altogether? No matter, I want to scout around and see how the bucks are doing anyway so it'll be nice to get out.

wayne
10-16-2010, 03:25 PM
From my experiences this is the time of year bull moose will actually run away from your calls - the rut is pretty well over by mid-October though there are always exceptions to the rule.
I called a bull in on Oct 10th this year, he's been hanging in the trees since then.
The latest I ever called a bull in was October 13, just a small spike bull that came in out of curiosity so you never know.

Walleyes
10-16-2010, 05:00 PM
I was out bowhunting the first week of October and I had some success calling in a small bull but I couldn't get a clean shot. I've been told that a large percentage of the cows get impregnated during the first week of October so that's probably the peak of the rut. I might have time to go out again early next week but I was wondering what I could expect as far as calling in a bull. Will they still come to the call, answer but not come to it or pretty much ignor it altogether? No matter, I want to scout around and see how the bucks are doing anyway so it'll be nice to get out.

Yes calling can still be effective at this time of year.. Certainly not as effective as during the peak of the rut but still effective.. Of course they will come in to be curious but at least they will come in.. The trick is to not be to aggressive and expect smaller bulls. Do not and I repeat do not bull call,, short sequenced cow calls only.. Couple short to medium length calls about a half hr apart at one spot then move on and try again.

The thing is you at least have the advantage of the call possibly bringing one in you can't go wrong.. I have called moose in,, now not a lot a couple over the years as late as Nov.

Good luck..

KegRiver
10-16-2010, 09:19 PM
I've called Moose in November, but it's really hit and miss after the middle of October. Some come some run and most ignore. Odd thing is, I've had more cows then bulls come to the call late in the season.

I'd give it a try.
From my experience, I would stick to cow calls. I have had no luck with bull calls after the third week of October.

TRAPPER92
10-16-2010, 10:11 PM
I called a 30 inch bull into 20 yards for a friend who arrowed it on Oct 10. He wasnt real vocal, only grunted once, but he came striaght in without hesitating. I used a cow call to get him to come I figure at this time the last thing they want to see is another bull!

WTHunter
10-17-2010, 06:38 AM
I called in a 35" bull last night about 45 minutes before legal shooting time. I spotted him about 500 yards across a field, and at the first call he started coming. He closed to 50 yards and was grunting the whole way in.

Tried calling two yearling bulls about 20 minutes later, and they just stood there looking at me at about 350 yards. Did not move a step.

They still can be called. Not all will respond.