PDA

View Full Version : Regulations on Sheep Creek/River

KyleM
10-17-2007, 10:32 AM
Stumbled upon this board a couple weeks ago and have really enjoyed the posts!

Anyways, I recently moved out here from Ontario to work (like many others).
I have been itching to get out and try some of these beautiful rivers and streams that I see but Im pretty fearful that I will be breaking some regs.

Iam located in Grande Prairie. Last weekend I took a drive to Grande Cache and found many rivers and streams that I would like to fish but the online regulations make it a little difficult as they are per stream and river and not by the block system that Iam used to in Ontario.

I got out and did some walking around Sheep Creek....
Looks more like a river, heck, maybe its called Sheep River but I was
curious as to the seasonal regulations. I understand the bait bans and hook regs, no problems there.

Just looking to be steered in the right direction here.

The area is great, would just love to get out and wet a line.

Thanks,

Kyle

Okotokian
10-17-2007, 10:47 AM
It may be Sheep creek, I don't know. The Sheep river is down here south of Calgary.

jebber6
10-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Sheep Creek is a tributary to the Smokey River
Smoky River
from headwaters downstream to Hwy 43 (formerly Hwy 34) & tributaries except Kakwa River and Muskeg River
June 1 to Aug. 31 – Trout and Arctic Grayling limit 2, Arctic Grayling over 35 cm; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Bait Ban.
Sept. 1 to Oct. 31 – Trout, Arctic Grayling and Mountain Whitefish limit 0; Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Bait Ban
Nov. 1 to May 31 – CLOSED

KyleM
10-17-2007, 12:24 PM
That helps a ton, thanks

Iam a C&R fisherman but if the limit is zero, does that not bring
up ethical questions because of the mortality rate in released fish?
Is that why I didnt see anyone fishing?

Whats the deal, last Sunday was one of the nicest days Ive seen out here in the past month and there wasnt one guy on the river fishing.

I figured the seasons were closed because of it but I guess I was mistaken.

SNAPFisher
10-17-2007, 02:09 PM
Hey Kyle.

I was somewhat in that area fishing at the Little Smoky River on Sunday. There were plenty of people fishing and it was indeed a beautiful fall day. Looks like you happened on a quiet stream. It looks to be decent enough on this Sunday. Maybe time to make a return visit :)

As far as I know mortality rate would have little or no impact on people fishing. The zero limit would have more of an impact for some - i.e. can't keep em why bother.

There is going to be mortality from C&R. The best one can do is practice good handling techniques to keep it to a minimum.

I must have C&R about 60 grayling on Sunday. I did my best to either not handle the fish by twisting the hook out when it was visible near the mouth or wetting my hand first when the hook was deeper and looking to see where it was at. Too deep, clip the line. Within reach, I used very thin pliers to get the hook out. By the way, none I caught were too deep to get out.

Cheers!

KyleM
10-17-2007, 10:16 PM
Thanks!
Its tough moving from Ontario all the way out here just to work so
getting out on the water is very important to me.
I used to river fish damn near every morning before work and then on the weekends head to the cottage on Georgian Bay so being out
here has given me some pretty big withdrawls (no time and not knowing where to fish).

I look forward to maybe seeing a few of you folks out on the Rivers.

Maybe not this fall but next summer.

Thanks again, great board!

seishooter
10-29-2007, 05:13 PM
I recomend trying the sheep, you will for sure hook some bull trout and fly fishing works well on the sheep. If you have an ATV and head back into the bush The sheep and copton rivers are great and offer some superb Bull trout.