PDA

View Full Version : Coal Lake - Oct. 17 2010

bloopbloob
10-17-2010, 10:22 PM
Went to coal lake for a couple hours this afternoon. Water is low, but no problem for a small boat. Took a 12ft with 50lb electric and 7.5hp gas, no problem launching or getting out of the shallow south end. Definitely still fish feeding in there, landed 8 pike, all just little, 1-1.5lbs, but did catch a nice one, got it right up to the boat but it took a big run and broke the line, probably around 7-10lbs. (Oh, and on that note - other than for trout fishing, I'm done with using a fluorocarbon leader, nothing but lost hooks and fish! :sign0176: I'm officially a non-believer.)
Water was cold, about 46*F average, weeds were bad right till about 11ft deep, then no weeds at all if you trolled 12-13 feet. a constant band of fish on the fish-finder, hovering between 7-10 feet when in 12-13 feet of water.

seahawkfisher
10-18-2010, 07:49 PM
what weight are you using for pike? i use 44lb rio and have never lost a hook due to the flouro falling victim to a tooth
cheers

great white whaler
10-18-2010, 09:17 PM
Went to coal lake for a couple hours this afternoon. Water is low, but no problem for a small boat. Took a 12ft with 50lb electric and 7.5hp gas, no problem launching or getting out of the shallow south end. Definitely still fish feeding in there, landed 8 pike, all just little, 1-1.5lbs, but did catch a nice one, got it right up to the boat but it took a big run and broke the line, probably around 7-10lbs. (Oh, and on that note - other than for trout fishing, I'm done with using a fluorocarbon leader, nothing but lost hooks and fish! :sign0176: I'm officially a non-believer.)
Water was cold, about 46*F average, weeds were bad right till about 11ft deep, then no weeds at all if you trolled 12-13 feet. a constant band of fish on the fish-finder, hovering between 7-10 feet when in 12-13 feet of water.

slue sharks ,steal leader in open water is a must,,if u what mister big i was there last week bunch of hammer handles nothing big:bad_boys_20:

bloopbloob
10-18-2010, 09:33 PM
i've never had a problem with tying 12lb braided line to a snap hook, catching pike all day, no leader, no lost hooks. all I hear is how abrasion resistant and tough and great fluorocarbon is, but it's always breaking, getting nicks, and not just from fish teeth. its just expensive mono in my books. like i said, i'll stick with my braided line.

Warren77
10-20-2010, 12:14 PM
If u want to catch small pike all day long, this is the lake for u...But i don't like small pike all day long so i go some where else.