PDA

View Full Version : Best tattoo shop in Alberta

sparky660
10-18-2010, 12:34 AM
Hey all. This May long weekend I lost a very close friend of mine to a MVA. He was my hunting buddy from the time we started shooting pellet guns. I would like to get a tattoo in memory of him and need a good artist to do the work I want. Price isn't an issue as quality will be my primary concern. I have always wanted one and thought that this would be a good reason to get one.

DarkAisling
10-18-2010, 06:20 AM
As the former owner of a tattoo shop, I can tell you quality should not be your primary concern. Proper sterilization and cleanliness should be your primary concern. Quality is important, don't get me wrong, but better to live with art that doesn't quite measure up than hepatitis.

Also, the "best tattoo shop in Alberta" isn't cut and dry. Style is personal, and while an artist may excel at one style, s/he may not be as good at another: portrait, tribal, traditional, new school, black and gray, biomechanical, Celtic, etc.

domac
10-18-2010, 07:23 AM
I had mine done in Innisfail. I am very happy with it. The girl that did mine was Dawn. I had the picture that I use for my avitar done. If pm your email I will send you a picture.

Springer
10-18-2010, 08:05 AM
Hey Domac thats my Neices shop, Inspiration Ink !! Brittnie is the owner but Dawn is good.
Now Lucas at Classic Tatoos in Red Deer is an amazing artist as well.

bushneck
10-18-2010, 08:28 AM
Try Seven Beckam Tattoo's out of Edmonton. You can check out his work at www.seventattoos.com.

shooter
10-18-2010, 09:08 AM
If you're in looking for a shop in Calgary, I would recommend the "Smiling Buddha". I had one done there a few months ago, which was also my first and they were really good. I'd go back again if I wanted another.

domac
10-18-2010, 09:51 AM
Hey Domac thats my Neices shop, Inspiration Ink !! Brittnie is the owner but Dawn is good.

I am very happy with my tatoo, and wold recomend them to anyone. The price was less than what was quoted, She did a great job, and was fairly easy to get into. I do not have anything negative to say about Insperation Ink.

pickrel pat
10-18-2010, 12:20 PM
smiling buddha out of calgary... paul jeffries... one of the best on the whole west coast.!

Nester
10-18-2010, 01:21 PM
I had mine done in Innisfail. I am very happy with it. The girl that did mine was Dawn. I had the picture that I use for my avitar done. If pm your email I will send you a picture.

Yep, this is the last place I went too and it was excellent. Go give them a visit :)

Gotta visit the place, chat with the artist, check out there porfolio and go from there.

DarkAisling
10-18-2010, 02:06 PM
If you're in looking for a shop in Calgary, I would recommend the "Smiling Buddha". I had one done there a few months ago, which was also my first and they were really good. I'd go back again if I wanted another.

How was the service? Did they work with you well, or was it a "sit down and shut up" type of experience? Was Wink there?

smiling buddha out of calgary... paul jeffries... one of the best on the whole west coast.!

To the best of my knowledge, Paul semi-retired ten years ago and most of his time has gone into managing his Kelowna shop. That could have changed, but it can be very difficult to get work done by him now. He is pretty much ancient history now.

If you're interested in coming to Calgary, there is a very talented artist who works in one of the local shops (very clean!). And, his father is the manager of the Fishin' Hole here. You shouldn't need to come this far, though.

shooter
10-18-2010, 03:31 PM
How was the service? Did they work with you well, or was it a "sit down and shut up" type of experience? Was Wink there?

Service was very professional. Didn't like the fact that I had to wait 4 weeks to get it done but I'm glad that I did. Not sure who wink is, but I got a great gal who was also into horses & barrel racing so we talked about that the whole time.

They came very recommended to me and after looking at a few other shops first, I was very happy going to this one.

DarkAisling
10-18-2010, 04:13 PM
Service was very professional. Didn't like the fact that I had to wait 4 weeks to get it done but I'm glad that I did. Not sure who wink is, but I got a great gal who was also into horses & barrel racing so we talked about that the whole time.

They came very recommended to me and after looking at a few other shops first, I was very happy going to this one.

Wink is Paul's wife. She doesn't tattoo, she's the manager.

I will say nothing else, as anything else that comes out of my mouth could most likely be considered slander.

I'm glad you had a good experience (makes me think she wasn't around :sEm_oops2:).

billie
10-18-2010, 04:43 PM
My condolances for the loss of your friend Sparky.

Sorry, can't help with the tatoo.

patcha
10-18-2010, 05:00 PM
try smash tattoo out of stony plain.the guys name is jer,does very good work,shop is very clean and sanitary.ive had sleeves and lots of other work done there and im very happy with his work.check him out on facebook under smash tattoo.

sinawalli
10-18-2010, 05:21 PM
I agree with Dark A! Nothing like getting a beautiful work of art, and a complimentary side of hep C!! There are lots of great artists out there, it's all about what YOU like!! Good luck, sorry for your loss, and post some pics when you're done!! Have fun!

Trapper Dan
10-18-2010, 06:17 PM
My wife does tattooing, and her shop is north of Edmonton in Nestow. Licensed and inspected. there is know long waiting times,and everthing is done by apointment. She does allot of memorial tattoos, She did one for me when my DAD pased a few years back and it looks great. you can check out her work at www.bittersweettattoos.com or on face book or call: 780-348-2625 Sorry for your loss

DarkAisling
10-18-2010, 06:24 PM
Oh, something I forgot to ad is that you need to remember that everyone has a bad day every now and then. Even the "best artists" have them, and you could very well wind up there on a "bad day." It isn't particularly likely, if you choose wisely, but it is still a possibility.

Tattooing is a "Personal Service." Please review these standards and guidelines, and be sure you can identify what is to be expected in an appropriately run shop:

http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/regu/alta-reg-20-2003/latest/alta-reg-20-2003.html

http://www.health.alberta.ca/documents/Standards-Tattooing.pdf

(EDIT: Worth noting is that ex-husband #1 and I were involved in the production of the second document)

sewerrat
10-18-2010, 07:36 PM

Innisfail has a tatoo shop?? I live there, didn't think there were any freaks here in town?:):sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

Cinderslices
12-03-2010, 07:00 PM
DUDE'S!!!!! Those are all wicked awesome shops, however................there is another shop in Red Deer called Renaissance Tattoos!!! Chris is a bloody wizard when it comes to the biz! They have 5 amazing artists, but Chris is a flippin' Genius!!! There is nothing he cannot do, and often does freehand work! He is amazing, go in and look at his work, he has books of his work, they all do, but Chris will give you that tattoo that your buddies will be jealous of!!! Seriously, he has to be the tattoo worlds "BEST KEPT SECRET"! I guess i am blowing the horn, so to speak, lol. Have a great day all!!!! Happy and safe travels during the Christmas season!!
:sHa_shakeshout:

wwbirds
12-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Proper sterialization procedures artistry etc are all good points that have been brought up but one that my daughter reminded me on a few years ago is make sure they are in it for the long haul and will be around for adjustments years down the road. I had one done many years ago and shop was near corner of 17th Ave S E and 36 Street. I was very impressed with artist as I had a specific design in mind (several artists in canada and us had refused to do it stating it was probably a copyright ) and he proceeded to draw it freehand from memory. Several years later the whites had faded badly and the reds more than I expected. Daughter says go back and get a touch up on colors. Shop not there and name (which I have since forgotten) not shown anywhere in phone book for a new location. In this day and age how do we know a business will still be around in 5 years if you have a claim or concern.

johnheat
12-03-2010, 10:05 PM
I had mine done at west edmonton mall, I lost my daughter at only 3 days, I have a pic but cant seem to upload it, if you want I can send you an email of it, the girl was named julia, and the place was orchid I have it done on my forearm where she died from my wrist to my elbow, if you want to see it send me a pm with your email address and i will send it, if i can figure out how to put it on here i will, pic is too big it says.

eastcoast
12-04-2010, 12:14 AM
Try Seven Beckam Tattoo's out of Edmonton. You can check out his work at www.seventattoos.com.

that's what I was going to say,I know him presonally and he is very good,and a straight up honest guy and he does good portraits,look at some of his work on the website.

RedHeadedFisherman
12-04-2010, 12:33 AM

x2 om Smilin Buda, altho Pall jefferys is retired, his staff is VERY GOOD good clean shop, very profesional in the procders
i had two 'tats done one on 1970 and (altho sunfaded some) is still fresh in the outline) i would not go anywhere else and i have tryed. looked at all of them when i lived in Edmonchuck!

RHF

cacty
12-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Monty Ricken, owner of Monsters Ink. Check out the Tattoo mags!