PDA

View Full Version : Downriggers on Crestliner

saskman
10-19-2010, 10:43 AM
I bought a new Crestliner Sportfish 1850 SST this spring and I recently took it into the dealer for some work and while it was there I asked them to install the down-rigger plates that came with the boat when I bought it. The problem is they say they can't install them without my cover not fitting or wearing a hole in the cover if I do use it. They are no help in telling me the best place to install them so I can use my cover. Does anyone on here have a boat like mine equipped with riggers? If so, where is the best place for them? Thanks

The Elkster
10-19-2010, 12:26 PM
One option would be to go ahead and get the plates mounted where you want then take the boat into somewhere like http://www.sewwut.ca/ and they should be able to customize your cover. I wouldn't compromise too much on your rigger placement.

Walleyes
10-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Boy I can't see a plate wearing a hole in your cover.. What type of plate are you running ?? I am sure it is the standard flat plate that is only about a 1/2" thick at the most.. These plates have smooth edges and are rounded on the corners,, I really can't see them wearing a hole in your cover. I know my cover snaps tight over the sides of my Lund and when it is done up you can plainly see the plates because the travel tarp is tight over them. I have had this set up for 5 seasons now and have traveled a lot with it,, been out to the coast with it 4 times and there is no wear in my tarp from the plates..

think they were just to lazy to put them in for you.. Mind you if it was me I would put them on myself anyways that way you can put them exactly where you want..

Walleyes
10-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Here is a pic of the plates that I was thinking of ( ignore the ugly mug in the pic ).. I checked out a few pics of your boat and I am not sure if this style would fit.. Is this the type you were thinking of ???

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k303/walleyes_2006/FISHING/DSCF1498.jpg

EZM
10-20-2010, 10:04 AM
The picture is of a Scotty brand base plate (same as mine). It would not wear out the tarp. Maybe yours is different.

There is a place (if you are in the Edmonton area) called;

Wayne's Upholstery Ltd
8825 63 Avenue [Argyll Road]
Edmonton Alberta - T6E 0E9
Tel: 780-465-2325 Fax: 780-469-6714

They can repair canopies, boat covers, aluminum canopy rails and rods etc and can re-enforce (add a rubber re-enforcement patch) to the area on your travel cover. (Just mark it for them before taking it in).

They did one for my trolling motor mount which was a square metal bow mount plate with sharp edges. works like a charm. $30 next day pickup.

Good work, fair prices and quick turn around.

If you don't want to spend $30 - lay or position a piece of carpet (or other material) over the mount and hope it does not slip around. Then strap down your travel cover.

Wayne's rocks. hope that helps.

I-Love-Eyes
10-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Is your cover the snap on type like ours? We have a crestliner 1650 sport angler and we have downrigger plates on both sides. They have been there since the boat was new (five years) and have not rubbed a hole in our cover.

Good luck!