PDA

View Full Version : Can you jig for walleye from shore

maclennanchris
10-19-2010, 01:18 PM
Hey was wondering if you can jig for walleye from shore?? If you can whats a good setup and method?? Love some help.

nicemustang
10-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Yes but traditionally speaking jigging is a vertical technique. But you can use a jig and minnow or jig and minnow body and cast it out and reel it in. When reeling in, a couple of techniques.

1. Let fall to the bottom. Slowly drag back in along the bottom, stopping every now and again.

2. Let fall to bottom. Slowly "pop" it back to you by raising and falling the jig back to bottom.

3. When use a hallow body swim bait and jig, they are best jerked and/or constant return reel in. So, cast it out, let fall to desired depth (usually bottom) then reel in with jerks or constant speed, depending on trial and error.

nicemustang
10-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Oh an example. At PCR, off the dock for example. the end of the dock is in about 10-12 FOW. Directly out from there is a drop off to 17-20 FOW. So you can sit on the dock and cast out a jig tipped with minnow and do any one of the first two techniques and catch walleye all day. Last time i was there a hallow body swim bait wasn't working as well. Just depends on how the day is.

Newspeak
10-19-2010, 02:55 PM
I don't know if it's technically "jigging", but I've had success using a jig under a slip bobber.... If there is any chop on the water, it imparts movement all on its own, or give it a couple of small tugs every now and again.

The advantage of this is you can keep your jig off the bottom if desired.

walleyeca
10-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Yes but traditionally speaking jigging is a vertical technique. But you can use a jig and minnow or jig and minnow body and cast it out and reel it in. When reeling in, a couple of techniques.

1. Let fall to the bottom. Slowly drag back in along the bottom, stopping every now and again.

2. Let fall to bottom. Slowly "pop" it back to you by raising and falling the jig back to bottom.

3. When use a hallow body swim bait and jig, they are best jerked and/or constant return reel in. So, cast it out, let fall to desired depth (usually bottom) then reel in with jerks or constant speed, depending on trial and error.

I hope I can help out here but a really good jig for the NSR is the Thumper jig by Northland its yellow with an orange head and has a little flippy flasy siver spoon attached to it! It is a WALLEYE/SAUGER Slayer!

maclennanchris
10-19-2010, 04:50 PM
Thanks!!! I just picked some of those up the other day. Just put a mister twister on the end and got a nice little Jack....gonna keep trying for Rhodes eyes!!!!

Deano85
10-19-2010, 04:59 PM
I like to use a slip bobber rig with a weight up by the swivel and using a smaller treble at the bottom.

Cal
10-19-2010, 05:15 PM

You did not mention one method that people often tend to overlook. It only works in moving water but since the OP mentioned the NSR I think he will find it usefull. Cast your jig either straight out or angling down or upstream depending on the circomstance and how deep you need your jig to go and just let the current swing it in towards the shore downstream of you. You can hop it allong or just let it bump along the bottom, once its done swinging start reeling it in. This works best in places like the Goldbar plant outlet where you have faster water further out and an eddy or pool close to shore but since this is somewhat true of most riverbanks it can work well anywhere. For some reason I've found often I can reel or jig a lure through a pool with limited success but if I let it swing across the current edge in the right spot all the sudden its fish after fish. This method works well with most other lures and species of fish.

nicemustang
10-19-2010, 08:51 PM
You did not mention one method that people often tend to overlook. It only works in moving water but since the OP mentioned the NSR I think he will find it usefull. Cast your jig either straight out or angling down or upstream depending on the circomstance and how deep you need your jig to go and just let the current swing it in towards the shore downstream of you. You can hop it allong or just let it bump along the bottom, once its done swinging start reeling it in. This works best in places like the Goldbar plant outlet where you have faster water further out and an eddy or pool close to shore but since this is somewhat true of most riverbanks it can work well anywhere. For some reason I've found often I can reel or jig a lure through a pool with limited success but if I let it swing across the current edge in the right spot all the sudden its fish after fish. This method works well with most other lures and species of fish.

True, good advice...don't fish the rivers much.

Fishfinder
10-20-2010, 01:48 AM
Stang knows his stuff when it comes to the walters, however, my vote will Always go towards bait, natural if possible. Spose it kinda depends where one is fishn, PCR and such, for sure, when u know ur gonna hook into the same wally 100 times, use a rubber. If fishn a riv, i reccommend minnows n worms, may cost a bit more, reward is worth it.
My 2 sense.
Cheers n GL!

sheephunter
10-20-2010, 01:51 AM
A jig is very effective under a slip bobber and can be very effectively fished from shore that way. Add a frozen minnow and walleye can't say no!

Kim473
10-20-2010, 06:04 AM
Put a floating hook on with a weight about a foot in front. Cast out and let sink to the bottom when you give it a jerk it will jig downwards. The weight will all so stir the bottom a little and attract fish. Found most fish take a hook on the way down.

maclennanchris
10-20-2010, 07:11 AM
What is the PCR?

jeprli
10-20-2010, 08:47 AM
It is a reservoir filled with stunted walleye south of Calgary.

You can jig from lake shoreline as well. Most reservoirs have dams made of boulders and those places are mostly deep enough for a jig. Make sure you have a sensitive rod, something you can easily detect the bottom with. 7'6" rod and bigger is what i prefer with fast or x-fast action, same goes for river fishing from shore.

Cal
10-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Put a floating hook on with a weight about a foot in front. Cast out and let sink to the bottom when you give it a jerk it will jig downwards. The weight will all so stir the bottom a little and attract fish. Found most fish take a hook on the way down.

Great advice, its not what I think of when someone says "jigging" but I have used this method succesfully in places I would normaly jig. I've found that using a floating jig head or bare hook with a slip sinker and frozen minnow hooked weedless like a plastic worm can often outfish regular jigs. Advantages include less snags, easyer to keep contact with the bottom in tricky currents, and fish give you more time to set the hook.

nicemustang
10-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Great advice, its not what I think of when someone says "jigging" but I have used this method succesfully in places I would normaly jig. I've found that using a floating jig head or bare hook with a slip sinker and frozen minnow hooked weedless like a plastic worm can often outfish regular jigs. Advantages include less snags, easyer to keep contact with the bottom in tricky currents, and fish give you more time to set the hook.

x10