PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Location? Hike + Fishing

zoomiest
10-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Hello, I am a new scout master, and am planning on taking my troop of 5 boys on a hike, where there is fishing too.

Does anyone recommend any good fishing spots, within striking distance of Calgary, with an interesting hike close by?

Thanks in advance.

Zoomiest...:shark:

DANOMAN
10-19-2010, 04:41 PM
Hey Zoom head into kananaskis country all kinds of pull overs and hikes in there lots of fishing too....:) Highway goes right into Longview.

Read your regs and make lots of noisewhen hiking!!

jts1
10-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Pm Sent

Okotokian
10-19-2010, 04:59 PM
3 I did this year: All require some uphill work.

Easiest: Picklejar. Nice fishing, nice view, short, maybe 4 km each way, Very accessible. Killer headwall at the end, but not too big.

Middle: Tombstone Lake (lower one). Interesting country, wild. Hike not that difficult. Advantage is you get to stop at and fish Elbow Lake on the way (1.5 km from start). Longer but really no more difficult than Picklejar. about 9 km each way. Trail easy to follow. Not a ton of vertical. half of it is right at the start, the other half approaching tombstone lake. The 6 km in the middle are flat.

More challenging: Loomis Lake. about 13 km each way, a number of river crossings (will need to bring footwear you can get wet or waders). Note: Lake was half covered with ice in July. LOL

The starts of all three are probably within 10 miles of eachother on highway 40

Check www.hikealberta.com for detailed descriptions of lots of hikes.

Guba
10-20-2010, 10:24 AM
pm sent...

jpohlic
10-20-2010, 11:26 AM
I ran into a scout group at Lillian Lake many years ago. All uphill on the way in, easy downhill hike on the way out. Fishing from shore is ok, much better if you can get out with a float tube or raft. Brown wooly worms worked great for me, I gave a few to a couple kids who weren't having much luck fishing from shore.