PDA

View Full Version : Allen Bill Pond

Photoplex
10-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Was thinking of getting some fly practice in on a stocked trout lake near Calgary, and was eyeing up Allen Bill Pond and Mclean Pond (thanks to JTS's awesome shared google map!)

I'm confused by the location marker on the google map (http://goo.gl/maps/Gccu) for Allen Bill - that body of water looks like it's part of the river... if so, is it stocked as stated? Or is the marker in the wrong place?

Any thoughts on which might be better for a beginner? I'm leaning towards Allen Bill over Mclean because it looks like we can wander down the river too.

Thanks in advance!

nicemustang
10-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Allen Bill pond isn't part of the river, its man made. The google map must have been taken when the pond was washed out during the floods that one year. It has been rebuilt. Both get extremely a lot of pressure during the summer, likely to be fished out, although I'm not sure.

baitfisher83
10-20-2010, 04:17 PM
was out at Allen bill a few weeks ago, didnt even see anything rising, not a single bite, probably fished out as people were stacked shoulder to shoulder most times I went there during the summer

Photoplex
10-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Damn! That kind of blows that idea out of the water!

Any suggestions for stocked trout ponds near to Calgary to practice some fly fishing with some prospect of hooking a few fish? Only other one I can see on the map is Dewitts Pond near Airdrie - anyone been there? I'm guessing it's going to suffer the same problems as Mclean and Allen Bill - fished out over the summer... :(

nicemustang
10-20-2010, 04:41 PM
You mean fished out during spring LOL.

Yep, you have to travel a little further off the beaten path. For numbers, I'd try Chain lakes or Severn reservoir or Dickson trout pond.

Fisher_man#1
10-20-2010, 07:54 PM
There is also Sibbald Meadows pond, not sure if its is fished out yet but i did well fly fishing there this summer for brookies, cuts and cutbows. Also caught some fish last year ice fishing there so some seem to survive the hordes in summer. About a 45min drive form Calgary.

Cheers.

lugeboy
10-21-2010, 06:15 AM
We were at allen bill on sat and we got nothing but the guy in the belly boat caught 10 in the centre so not to sure what we were doing wrong.

Gillfisher
10-21-2010, 10:50 AM
If you have some good rubber boots or waders you could head out to Winchell Lake by Water valley. The stocked rainbows should be 12" to 14" now.

Gillfisher

IAMBREAD
10-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Whats wrong with the Bow? lots of quiet slow spots :D

Photoplex
10-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Whats wrong with the Bow? lots of quiet slow spots :D

I've spent more hours than I care to remember on the Bow (jigging, floating maggots, ledger/bottom bouncing, crankbaits) and all I've caught is salad and rocks! Some of my experienced fly fishing friends pull stuff out of there, but even they have limited success.

I appreciate it's better geared to fly fishing, but I'd consider it a tougher water. Rather learn somewhere with a "captive audience", so to speak ;)

Richard B.
10-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Sibbald meadows pond is a good choice. We were there three weeks ago and there were still rising fish although they were too smart for me. There is lots of room for a back cast

Photoplex
10-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Well, looks like Sibbald Meadows it is then! Let's just hope the weather holds out :scared0015:

Calgaryguy1977
10-21-2010, 11:36 PM
I'm not sure you will have much luck at Sibbald. I would try Winchell if I were you. But your call :)

Photoplex
10-22-2010, 08:02 AM
I'm not sure you will have much luck at Sibbald. I would try Winchell if I were you. But your call :)

No waders, and from what I understand the shore there is kinda marshy isn't it?