PDA

View Full Version : Dogs allowed at Chateau Lake Louise!

DuckBrat
10-20-2010, 09:23 PM
Recently I was attending a conference at Chateau Lake Louise. I was in a pickle because everyone I knew had left town and I had no one to look after the dogs. It was kind of last minute and the kennel was booked. I explained this to the booking clerk at the hotel and was excited to find out that they allowed pets. It was $25.00 extra a night but wow the treatment my boys received during our stay. There own doggie dishes, cushy doggie beds, frosted treats, and free run in the hotel. I was impressed with my own bed and pillows. Sure beats those hourly rate motels I'm used to. WOW!

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab118/duckbrat/IMG_0073.jpg
http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab118/duckbrat/IMG_0072.jpg
http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab118/duckbrat/IMG_0074.jpg
http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab118/duckbrat/IMG_0102.jpg

Turney
10-20-2010, 10:48 PM
I seen your two dogs in the lobby one morning nice looking dogs. I have a springer as well, but left her at home with the kids. I'm sure they loved the walk around the lake with all the tourists.
You gotta love recycling conference's!

Grizzly Adams
10-21-2010, 08:16 AM
Dogs belong in kennels, not hotel rooms. Glad to see your mutts frolicking on the bed, but the next person using the room, might have an allergy to pet hair. We don't allow that kind of behavior at our house and I wouldn't stay at a hotel, which thought this acceptable. We don't allow smoking in public places any more, for very good reason. This is no different .

Grizz

dollfin
10-21-2010, 08:42 AM
Whoa there Grizz! Duck is just simply stating a fact about the Chateau accepting dogs, and how they helped him out in a bind. I appreciate the information greatly as I have two dogs myself.

It is the onus on the traveler to request a "non smoking", "non pet room" when making a reservation. My advice whenever travelling is don't accept a hotel room, before checking it out first to make sure its clean, everything works, has all the ammenties etc. We never have a hassle this way ever, because we entered the room to look around first then accept! Just my 2 cents!

sheephunter
10-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Dogs belong in kennels, not hotel rooms. Glad to see your mutts frolicking on the bed, but the next person using the room, might have an allergy to pet hair. We don't allow that kind of behavior at our house and I wouldn't stay at a hotel, which thought this acceptable. We don't allow smoking in public places any more, for very good reason. This is no different .

Grizz

They actually have designated pet friendly rooms so if someone states they have a pet allergy, they don't put them in one of those rooms. We routinely take our pup on the road with us and it's amazing how many hotels are pet friendly. We were at the Travelodge in Brooks last week and there were as many dogs coming in and out of rooms as people. :)

Last time I checked, second hand dogs farts weren't as deadly as second hand smoke....:)

troller
10-21-2010, 09:15 AM
They actually have designated pet friendly rooms so if someone states they have a pet allergy, they don't put them in one of those rooms. We routinely take our pup on the road with us and it's amazing how many hotels are pet friendly. We were at the Travelodge in Brooks last week and there were as many dogs coming in and out of rooms as people. :)

Last time I checked, second hand dogs farts weren't as deadly as second hand smoke....:)

If my wife was to be stuck in an elevator with you and your dog, she would end up in emergency. Last time I checked you can't smoke in elevators or halls?

I'm a huge dog lover so I'm not anti dog. We have found that we do have to ask at hotels if they are pet friendly because, unfortunately, my wife is not, so we would have to stay other places.

sheephunter
10-21-2010, 09:24 AM
If my wife was to be stuck in an elevator with you and your dog, she would end up in emergency. Last time I checked you can't smoke in elevators or halls?

Nope you can't and it's because everyone is negatively affected by second hand smoke...it causes cancer! While your wife's condition is indeed very unfortunate, that kind of alergy to dogs is very rare. You can't compare second hand smoke to someone walking around with a dog. It's good that there are hotels that don't permit dogs so your wife has a place she can stay safely and it's good that pet owners can travel with their pooches and stay at pet friendly establishments. Kinda seems like a win/win to me.

DuckBrat
10-21-2010, 09:48 AM
Kinda reminds me of the ban on peanut butter sandwiches in schools. Stop kids from bringing them all together due to the allergies of a few kids. Sad really, I miss peanut butter.

Anyways I kinda figured seeing the dogs on the bed would incite some reaction from some folks. Not going to defend the actions but I will say that although these dogs are working dogs they recupperate quickly from thier daily activities better when they can night in the warm house. Also including them in the indoor activities seems to bring the family closer together. Just my thoughts.

CMMahy
10-21-2010, 11:23 AM
That's great to know! I also agree that having the dogs inside at night is beneficial. The dogs get far more attention (which is what they really crave) and develop a much better bond with their owners.

Here's a website I stumbled upon a while ago when looking at places to stay while travelling back east for a vacation. It lists hotels by city that accept pets, and what their conditions are. It's not an all inclusive list, but it's a good place to start when calling around.

http://www.petfriendly.ca/index.php

Okotokian
10-21-2010, 11:41 AM

I would also expect/hope (though I don't know) that the extra $25 fee per night goes to better vacuuming and replacement of the bedspread in addition to just the sheets at checkout. Sort of like the fumigation they do when someone smokes in your supposedly non-smoking room.

sheephunter
10-21-2010, 12:08 PM
I would also expect/hope (though I don't know) that the extra $25 fee per night goes to better vacuuming and replacement of the bedspread in addition to just the sheets at checkout. Sort of like the fumigation they do when someone smokes in your supposedly non-smoking room.

Ya, that's the idea for sure. Personally my dog is not permitted on any furniture, beds included but when we travel we do look for pet friendly hotels. If we can't find one he can stay in the truck but basically he's part of our pack and he lives and sleeps where we do. Well that and he thinks he's people...:)

While I appreciate that some people have allergies and just couldn't stay in a room where a dog had been, I quite honestly would have never known there was a dog in any of the pet friendly rooms we've stayed in. They were spotlessly cleaned. I figure it's better to have designated pet friendly rooms as people are going to take their dogs into hotels regardless. With pet friendly hotels, at least they are confined to a few rooms and not leaving dander in other rooms where people with allergies might sleep.

Supermag
10-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Jasper Park Lodge does as well, with the same sort of warm reception and thoughtfulness. I was very impressed when we took our Lab there several years back. They do ask that you do not have your pets on the bed, and that you don't leave them alone in the room while you are gone. They also offer doggy sitting/walking (for a fee, and not a small one).

It was a very good experience all around. Fantastic hospitality. My Lab really did love the walks around the lake, and for some reason, (she's normally not a poop eater) seems to think that elk droppings are some sort of special treats that were left there just for her. :)

On the lower end, Super 8s have pet friendly rooms too.

twofifty
10-21-2010, 06:41 PM
I guess it is ok for DuckBrat's dogs to wipe their arses on the bedspreads, after all the hotel will surely launder them .... in the same washing machines used for the non-pet-friendly rooms. YUK

DarkAisling
10-21-2010, 06:48 PM
I worked in hotel housekeeping for a couple of years. If some of you guys are worried about dogs on a bedspread, I can tell you with 100% certainty that some of the things that are left/go on in hotel rooms would horrify you to the point you would never use one again.

guage
10-21-2010, 07:22 PM
I guess it is ok for DuckBrat's dogs to wipe their arses on the bedspreads, after all the hotel will surely launder them .... in the same washing machines used for the non-pet-friendly rooms. YUK

Yeah, the same washing machine that would wash the towel you wiped your arse with.
Get a grip.

twofifty
10-21-2010, 07:45 PM
lol. Dunno about you but I wash first, then dry. Dogs don't.

But seriously though, I have seen enough damage to rental homes caused by dogs that are supposed to be 'perfectly well behaved' or 'totally house trained' .... sure enough the house ends up smelling like a kennel, doors are scratched, carpets ripped up.

Imo many dog owners lose all sense of relativity and responsibility when it comes to the behaviour and damages caused by their beloved pets.

Since I figure the same irresponsible dog owners travel as well, I will hold onto my belief that dog's arses on hotel bedspreads is still a great big YUK.

DuckBrat
10-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Imo many dog owners lose all sense of relativity and responsibility when it comes to the behaviour and damages caused by their beloved pets.

I guess the same could be said about a large majority of Parents. It's always the neighbors kid who is bad...right.

209x50
10-21-2010, 07:55 PM
We like to travel with our dogs as well. They are not allowed on beds or furniture at home nor in hotels. And ya I watched a 60 minutes type show where they tested bed covers various ways and you'd wish for a little dog arse after watching that show let me tell you!!!

greylynx
10-21-2010, 08:21 PM
I worked in hotel housekeeping for a couple of years. If some of you guys are worried about dogs on a bedspread, I can tell you with 100% certainty that some of the things that are left/go on in hotel rooms would horrify you to the point you would never use one again.

Thanks for your nice description Shelley.

I was going to be more graphic in support of what you said, but I think you expressed the message quite well.

I will not go any further about the behavior of our fellow human beings.

Ruger1022
10-21-2010, 08:28 PM

Agreed I worked at the lklouise inn and some chit that the keepers would find was down right wrong!! I would be happy with Little dog arse lol really

twofifty
10-21-2010, 09:06 PM
We like to travel with our dogs as well. They are not allowed on beds or furniture at home nor in hotels. And ya I watched a 60 minutes type show where they tested bed covers various ways and you'd wish for a little dog arse after watching that show let me tell you!!!

This is all quite comical, but what the heck life goes on.

20950, when your dogs are at home and you are not....do you think they stay off the beds or furniture? If you think yes, set up a gamecam and get back to us tomorrow after work. ;-)

sheephunter
10-21-2010, 10:25 PM

20950, when your dogs are at home and you are not....do you think they stay off the beds or furniture? If you think yes, set up a gamecam and get back to us tomorrow after work. ;-)

You really have never been around a well trained dog have you?

I don't want dogs sleeping on my bed and mine would never think of it, at home or in a hotel.

twofifty
10-21-2010, 11:40 PM
I have been around well trained dogs; unfortunately they are in the minority as too few owners know how to properly train their dog. Or are too cheap to get them professionally trained.

The dogs are not the problem, it is the irresponsible owners. Kind of like guns isn't it.

209x50
10-22-2010, 05:55 AM

(grin) I know for sure where my dogs spend their day and breaking animals of getting on furniture is very simple. A 70 pound dog doesn't sleep any where without leaving plenty of sign. The worse crime mine commit is sleeping on the floor of the guest room in the sunshine occasionally.

smurph
10-22-2010, 07:07 AM
Yeah, the same washing machine that would wash the towel you wiped your arse with.
Get a grip.

X2

My Brittany who's laying on the couch next to me is stoked that he can join us in Jasper in January at the JPL...again. As Mark Twain once said, 'the more people I meet, the more I like my dog'. Get a grip. Obviously the Fairmont group of companies has done the risk assessment and deemed the allowance of animals inside rooms to be an acceptable practice. And considering some of their guests are high-profile people willing to pay $$$$$ per night, i'd say they're not too worried about ****ing 'them' off.

troller
10-22-2010, 07:17 AM
While your wife's condition is indeed very unfortunate, that kind of alergy to dogs is very rare. .

Actually you might want to read up on asthma/allergies a little more. On average 20 children and 500 adults die each year from asthma/allergies. The 2 biggest aggravators for asthma is dust/pollen and pet dander. Usually animal dander being the biggest trigger. While it is great that you keep you pet off the bed, you do know it's not the hair exactly that you are allergic too. It's the light, floating in the air dander and the proteins from their saliva

And with that, have fun with your dog threads lads. I didn't mean to side track it.

Sporty
10-22-2010, 07:29 AM
Jasper Park Lodge does as well, with the same sort of warm reception and thoughtfulness. I was very impressed when we took our Lab there several years back. They do ask that you do not have your pets on the bed, and that you don't leave them alone in the room while you are gone. They also offer doggy sitting/walking (for a fee, and not a small one).

It was a very good experience all around. Fantastic hospitality. My Lab really did love the walks around the lake, and for some reason, (she's normally not a poop eater) seems to think that elk droppings are some sort of special treats that were left there just for her. :)

On the lower end, Super 8s have pet friendly rooms too.

Many more hotels are becoming pet friendly, dogs are becoming big business. Some hotels we've stayed in also offer dog sitting services for when you wanna tour around and not take your pet with you.

My little dog is the same as yours with the elk poop! He too thinks they are little treats left just for him lol.

So true, I watched a show once about hotels and the dirtiest things in hotel rooms are the ice buckets, phones and remotes for the TV's. I take sani wipes with me now and give everything a good wipe down. I'll take dog arse as well over some of the things they were finding in hotel rooms.

CDone
10-22-2010, 07:41 AM
All Fairmont Hotels are 'dog friendly', have been for over a decade. They go out of their way to make the dogs very comfortable, we used to supply dog beds and dishes, bake special biscuits, even offer walking services if you were in a conference all day. Obviously the pet owner is expected to use some form of judgement when bringing their dog into the hotel room, but I can assure yoou that housekeeping goes out of their way to ensure that there is no trace of 'Fluffy' left behind.

Colin

DarkAisling
10-22-2010, 08:00 AM
Actually you might want to read up on asthma/allergies a little more. On average 20 children and 500 adults die each year from asthma/allergies. The 2 biggest aggravators for asthma is dust/pollen and pet dander. Usually animal dander being the biggest trigger. While it is great that you keep you pet off the bed, you do know it's not the hair exactly that you are allergic too. It's the light, floating in the air dander and the proteins from their saliva

And with that, have fun with your dog threads lads. I didn't mean to side track it.

Having a toddler with asthma, I always make sure to inform hotel staff of his condition when booking a room. I typically choose newer hotels, and always request a room that has been a NP/NS room since the hotel was built. The staff have always been very accommodating. There have been two cases where no such room was available, and they advised me of this.

sheephunter
10-22-2010, 08:27 AM

As a child that suffered from very severe allergies I'm well aware how dibilatating they can be. My only point was that second hand smoke is dangerous to 100% of the population and that severe dog allergies are relatively rare. I think the stats you just provided prove that. My intent wasn't to downplay the serious nature of allergies...just to point out the folly of comparing dogs to smoking. Hope that clears that up.