PDA

View Full Version : Burbot At The Forks (Where Bow And Oldman become SSR)

jacenbeers
10-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Hey all. I am heading to the forks this weekend with jeprli and was wondering if it would be worth my while to try and catch some burbot at night using smelts? Has anybody had luck there before?

Dale S
10-21-2010, 08:11 PM
You never know at the forks but the best time for them is in the sping. You should get there early that place has been a zoo the last couple of weekends.

Crossfire
10-22-2010, 02:43 AM
i have been catching alot of burbot at my spot i found that the fall is the best for burbot for me just smelts on bottom

jacenbeers
10-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Awesome thanks. i think I want to try some night fishing to see if I can catch one when they are more active.

Gust
10-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Awesome thanks. i think I want to try some night fishing to see if I can catch one when they are more active.

Use a good bell so you can set the hook or the fish will take it very deep. A Burbot bites quite slow and you may mistake a bite for the natural flow of the river.

jacenbeers
10-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I have a bunch of bells so i should be able to make that happen.

bubba 96
10-22-2010, 02:47 PM
I have noticed that the fall is better for them as well, but not till dusk, we usally hit cv right before ice and we do unreal, just sitting on shore..also minnows work well also, if permitted ....We were at slave last year and it must have been spawning time because on the camera all we saw were balls of burbot, must have been a dozen of them in these ball..pretty neat to witness....Dave

Christofficer
10-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Yeah fall is best for me too. I been out a few times, till just after dark, and still can't scare anything up. I don't think it's late enough in the year yet for where I fish for em.....

Fishfinder
10-25-2010, 02:30 PM
jacenbeers, how did u make out on the weekend? Did u get out to the forks?
I've only been there a handful of times but each time I found several glowsticks laying around. I believe they work well for fishing for Burb there at night, so I've heard. Never tried them...yet.
Cheers!:)

jacenbeers
10-25-2010, 08:45 PM
I got skunked but jeprli's dad got one while I was there. We ended up leaving early yesterday and we went to Crawling Valley and did a lot better.