PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing - Rod or by hand?

Guitarplayingfish
10-22-2010, 06:05 PM
What does everyone prefer to do? Personally I like to use my hands... -30 or not Ill be out there fishing by hand. Rods can be fun too.. but you don't always feel the little nibbles, especially if your fishing for trout. Im just curious to find out what most prefer. Everyone I go with always fishes with a rod.. Needless to say I always double or triple them in fish count.. if not more! :sHa_shakeshout:

Cal
10-22-2010, 06:23 PM
For pike and walleye where I can use a small snap-swivle to switch hooks I use a rod unless I'm in a tent, with rods you end up sitting too far back to see down the hole. For perch, whitefish, and trout I like to make up a whole bucketfull of jigging sticks and tie all my favorite hooks on so I dont have to freeze my hands every time I want to switch hooks. I have a trout rod or two but these are usualy stuck in a pile of slush with a bell on the end while I use my jigging sticks.

Hiflyer
10-22-2010, 09:05 PM
Without question a Marmish Ice rod and jigs, fantastic little rod, fish
bite on the jigs when they won't bite on anything else

Alberta Bigbore
10-22-2010, 09:27 PM
x2 on the marmish, Acts like an extention to your arm. You can detect a whitefish Inhaling a wire worm if you have it set sensitive enough

Walleyes
10-22-2010, 09:42 PM
I use my hands on my rod,,, WHAT ????

No seriously I like using rods with good quality spin cat reels on them. I have quite a few different ones with different size rods/reels to match the game I am after.. I enjoy the scrap whether its open water or frozen water..

cleson
10-22-2010, 10:00 PM
bare hands baby! gets a little cold, but thats what tents and coffee are for.

kostianych
10-22-2010, 11:07 PM
+1 on Marmish stuff :) our grandfathers used it and we have to keep this traditions :)))

great for trout, perch, white fish :)

great white whaler
10-22-2010, 11:25 PM
i like the hand job ,black braided line over the finger, keep it on the spool .can't bet the hand job,,i feel the lites touch on my finger really sensitive got me lots of fish this way,dont need all that other ****.:bad_boys_20: just sayin:shake2:

378Canuck
10-22-2010, 11:33 PM
I like the windshield wipers, attach your line to one on each side and drill your holes so you can effectively work two holes, reach over and turn them on once in awhile, stay by the heater inside the cab and have a rum and coke-only way to fish.

Kim473
10-23-2010, 08:40 AM
I like the windshield wipers, attach your line to one on each side and drill your holes so you can effectively work two holes, reach over and turn them on once in awhile, stay by the heater inside the cab and have a rum and coke-only way to fish.

Just set it on intermitent, you dont have to stop drinking. I do both! Depends on the bite, sometimes a small bobber is best too.

AK47
10-23-2010, 08:45 AM
Needless to say I always double or triple them in fish count.. if not more! :sHa_shakeshout:

I would like to challenge you on that. Lets go to any decent perch lake ( Sherburne for example) and if your hands beats my marmish rod I will buy you nice bottle of booz of your choice.

Kim473
10-23-2010, 08:58 AM
I would like to challenge you on that. Lets go to any decent perch lake ( Sherburne for example) and if your hands beats my marmish rod I will buy you nice bottle of booz of your choice.

Wish I was closer to there I'd take you up on that. I have out perched many marmish rods. Some times you have to watch the line as they will pick the hook up and not pull on it.

AK47
10-23-2010, 10:05 AM
Wish I was closer to there I'd take you up on that. I have out perched many marmish rods. Some times you have to watch the line as they will pick the hook up and not pull on it.

Rod itself is only part of the deal. Strike indicator (And my strike indicator shows very well when perch pick up the hook;) , marmish jig, line and how you use it is way more important. And I use original russian sportfishing palm rods, not marmish rods which are sold here - big difference! You can set the place when ice hits, I will come up north if you are there, always up for perch fishing and some competition:)... heck we can do it here in Calgary on Sundance lake, I bet Sundancefisher will be happy if we clean up more perch from his lake:).

Cal
10-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Rod itself is only part of the deal. Strike indicator (And my strike indicator shows very well when perch pick up the hook;) , marmish jig, line and how you use it is way more important. And I use original russian sportfishing palm rods, not marmish rods which are sold here - big difference! You can set the place when ice hits, I will come up north if you are there, always up for perch fishing and some competition:)... heck we can do it here in Calgary on Sundance lake, I bet Sundancefisher will be happy if we clean up more perch from his lake:).

I know those marmish rods work pretty well but I think your making a fools bet there AK. Its a bit of a fading art and true artists are getting harder to find but absolutely nothing can outfish a handjob expert who knows how to also carefully watch his line when there are perch involved.

As a kid we'd go ice fishing with my great Aunt out at Goose Lake, my uncle was a lucky man, she had the handjob absolutely perfected. She would be hauling fish up so fast we'd get her to trade us holes, then she'd haul fish out of the hole we'd just traded so we'd get her to trade us hooks, same thing. My uncle had unfortunatly lost an arm in a rigging accident and used a rod because he found it easyer to use with his hook. He did more fishing than anyone I've met before or since and deffinatly knew his **** but I never saw him even come close to catching half as many perch as my aunt did. Back then the limit was 30 or 50 fish and we rarely left untill everones limit was filled, even when nobody else was catching fish. I'm pretty sure my great aunt is the main reason that the perch fishing is pretty lean in Goose Lake these days :lol:

AK47
10-23-2010, 02:09 PM
I know those marmish rods work pretty well but I think your making a fools bet there AK. Its a bit of a fading art and true artists are getting harder to find but absolutely nothing can outfish a handjob expert who knows how to also carefully watch his line when there are perch involved.

well, so lets make it happen:)....As I said if somebody outfishes me in perch fishing using hands I gladly pay and say I was wrong. Just to let you guys know I have been participating and winning quite a few ice fishing derbies back in Eastern Europe where ice fishing for small fish like perch is mastered to perfection ( and no cameras or flashers or any other kind of electronic help is allowed ) - so I do consider myself half-pro when it comes to it. So for me would be very interesting to see and maybe learn some other techniques... lets give it a try! Why not to make some kind of meeting on ice for forum members, lets all gather and have fun and learn form each other?

Cal
10-23-2010, 07:32 PM
well, so lets make it happen:)....As I said if somebody outfishes me in perch fishing using hands I gladly pay and say I was wrong. Just to let you guys know I have been participating and winning quite a few ice fishing derbies back in Eastern Europe where ice fishing for small fish like perch is mastered to perfection ( and no cameras or flashers or any other kind of electronic help is allowed ) - so I do consider myself half-pro when it comes to it. So for me would be very interesting to see and maybe learn some other techniques... lets give it a try! Why not to make some kind of meeting on ice for forum members, lets all gather and have fun and learn form each other?

I would but I live a long way from Calgary and I'm no handjob pro. I use a stick slotted at both ends with line wrapped around it, when the takes are gentle and the weather cold I have a spring bobber made from the spring of a ballpoint pen that I mount on my jigging stick with a rubber band. I dont get outfished too badly too often by the marmish rod guys but a good handjober is untouchable some days.

Alberta Bigbore
10-23-2010, 08:25 PM
........ unless I'm in a tent, with rods you end up sitting too far back to see down the hole.

the cure is a Humminbird ICE-55 flasher :)

maddwapper
10-23-2010, 08:58 PM

i like your idea best ive heard in awhile ,,one thing i hate is freezing my balls and waiting for afish to bite iwill try this method for sure ,,my buddies will bust a gut red neck or not here i go,, thanks canuck:sign0176:

Kim473
10-24-2010, 03:52 AM

I would but I live in the edmonton area. I have pulled a lot of limits my self in the past 30 years. When I was 20 or so I used to fish only for perch and at least two times a week year round. Funny tho, I never caught one that even came close to the Alberta record. I think that record is some what of a lie. Caught some in lake Isle back then that were 14" but only about 2.5 lbs took one into Wab store to have it weighed and it came up very short of the record. Still pulling 12" out of the same spot on lake Isle. Saw some in N. Buck that were over 12" close to 14" last year.
Hand job all the way. If you ever come to a northern lake I would be there.
Found some nice little rubber round things at the fishing hole that you rap your line around and can tuck a small hook inside. I can change hooks on the bottom in less than 30 seconds. Can keep 1/2 a dozen in your pocket at a time, only about 2" dia.

vettedreamer
10-24-2010, 07:13 AM
all right perch derby hand VS rod :sHa_shakeshout: :fighting0030:......................... Hand job all the way though I think the grey hairs may have a direct relation to cold finger tips ....but still kick any rods ass. :bad_boys_20:

Penner
10-24-2010, 09:27 AM
Perch by hand everything else by rod. Need to match the rod with the fish your targeting tho.

Geezle
10-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Since last year was my first season back ice fishing after a very long hiatus I pretty much had to re-learn everything again.

Due to my work circumstances, last year I spent a good part of the hardwater season away from my home base, and the only real fishing opportunities were for perch and stocked trout. I started off fishing with a very sensitive rod, which worked great, but after a while I noticed myself plopping the rod in a pail or rod holder, and then just looping the line over my finger and jigging that way.

I'd imagine that if I were getting into bigger fish...say pike...I'd be using a rod/reel so I have the benefit of the reel's drag during the fight.

This year a Marmish rod is also on my list of things to purchase...gotta see what all the hype is about :)

Guitarplayingfish
10-24-2010, 10:02 AM
I may be willing to take you up on that perch rod vs hand. I haven't fished sherburne in a while, but last time I ice-fished it we couldn't keep the perch off. HANDS FTW!!!:fighting0074:

AK47
10-24-2010, 10:05 AM
well, we all can talk here this way or other but unless we will do it on ice it will be mute point. So please post suggestions for good perch lake where we can have some fun and see who is right or wrong:)... Ideally it should be lake with lots of perch because we talking about best technique and big numbers - not score like 5-10 or so. Private lakes sound like perfect places as there is no limits for perch.

Guitarplayingfish
10-24-2010, 10:56 AM
well, we all can talk here this way or other but unless we will do it on ice it will be mute point. So please post suggestions for good perch lake where we can have some fun and see who is right or wrong:)... Ideally it should be lake with lots of perch because we talking about best technique and big numbers - not score like 5-10 or so. Private lakes sound like perfect places as there is no limits for perch.

We should do rainbow trout. I know just the place for that.. not so much for perch. Sherburne could work though, but I haven't caught a perch in like 2 years.. I need practice! I prefer to catch larger fish or at least possibility of larger fish. :thinking-006:

AK47
10-24-2010, 01:46 PM
trout :confused:...To me perch is perfect fish for this argument as you can catch them in big numbers, plus they are smaller so isn't that what this argument is about - which technique detects most gentle and careful bites?

Guitarplayingfish
10-24-2010, 04:11 PM
trout :confused:...To me perch is perfect fish for this argument as you can catch them in big numbers, plus they are smaller so isn't that what this argument is about - which technique detects most gentle and careful bites?

I suppose your right, but it depends where you fish. At lake X I go trout fishing I usually pull out 40 fish a day at least. Most are small but the odd 3-4lber and possible 10+. Doesn't matter to me though, Perch sounds like fun. I havent caught perch in a long time, it would be to fun to familiarize myself with them again.

Cal
10-25-2010, 07:11 AM
the cure is a Humminbird ICE-55 flasher :)

Lets see, a couple cents on a short stick with slots cut in the end or a couple hundred on a flasher? Hmmm

Alberta Bigbore
10-25-2010, 10:39 AM
yup ! Once u use one... u will not want to be without one

Sundancefisher
10-25-2010, 12:47 PM
What does everyone prefer to do? Personally I like to use my hands... -30 or not Ill be out there fishing by hand. Rods can be fun too.. but you don't always feel the little nibbles, especially if your fishing for trout. Im just curious to find out what most prefer. Everyone I go with always fishes with a rod.. Needless to say I always double or triple them in fish count.. if not more! :sHa_shakeshout:

For me it all depends on the different variables at play.

Species you are fishing for
Temperature
Tent or no tent

Trout tend to bite harder and faster. Almost any rod can show you a bite. The question for many is bobber versus no bobber when fishing for stocked trout. I would say if the hole is freezing...a bobber is no good. I would also use any medium action rod for pike as it is a very rare occurence that you don't know a pike has your lure or bait. Lake Whitefish tend to have a softer take (although when chasing minnows it can be different) to a harder take depending upon the presentation. A wire worm tends to fish better by hand. A jigging spoon works better with a rod. Perch tend to be very gentle biters. Therefore like to use my hand when it is warm out and a spring tipped rod when it is cold out. Upon hook set I hand line both in. Walleye can also be in the gray area for rod or hand...but I recommend rod with a light action tip.

Temperature. Colder is best for rods...warmer for hand. Reason is 95% of the feel is lost if your hands are frozen.

Tent really helps keep you warm and keeps the wind off. Therefore I will often fish by hand.

Sundancefisher
10-25-2010, 12:50 PM

Hmmmm.... Sounds like some people want to wager on who can catch the most perch. I am just beginning to learn how to fish but I can probably organize an perch ice fishing competition at Lake Sundance. I just have to read up on how to catch them. What is the wager? $100 / person or $1 from each person for every fish short of the leader?

AK47
10-25-2010, 03:40 PM
Hmmmm.... Sounds like some people want to wager on who can catch the most perch. I am just beginning to learn how to fish but I can probably organize an perch ice fishing competition at Lake Sundance. I just have to read up on how to catch them. What is the wager? $100 / person or $1 from each person for every fish short of the leader?

As I offered I would buy nice bottle of booz of person's choice if somebody outfishes me by hand. If we want to make some friendly derby and get money into it I am fine as long as we fishing for perch.
1$ short of the leader ? hm....thats sounds brutal if the end score will be like 300:50:) ... I would feel bad taking 250$ just for winning some fishing argument. In the end I would do it not for the money but to prove and show that nobody beats marmish and palm rods when it comes to perch fishing. Never seen that and don't believe will ever see it.
Just loved seeing some people eyes on Sherburne when we limited on 10-12 inchers in 1.5 hr ( released bunch of smaller ones), with no cameras and flashers, while people around us with all fancy equipment had no single perch on ice in the mean time. You can't put price on that:)

Sundancefisher
10-25-2010, 04:35 PM
As I offered I would buy nice bottle of booz of person's choice if somebody outfishes me by hand. If we want to make some friendly derby and get money into it I am fine as long as we fishing for perch.
1$ short of the leader ? hm....thats sounds brutal if the end score will be like 300:50:) ... I would feel bad taking 250$ just for winning some fishing argument. In the end I would do it not for the money but to prove and show that nobody beats marmish and palm rods when it comes to perch fishing. Never seen that and don't believe will ever see it.
Just loved seeing some people eyes on Sherburne when we limited on 10-12 inchers in 1.5 hr ( released bunch of smaller ones), with no cameras and flashers, while people around us with all fancy equipment had no single perch on ice in the mean time. You can't put price on that:)

Well...I would be just tickled to finally figure out how to catch those perch. I have never caught one before. Scotch and perch...sounds like a meal

Guitarplayingfish
10-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Winner gets a bottle of their choice of booze.. I think thats a fair wager. Either that or if more people want to get in on this, 5$ or 10$ a person? I don't know If I can make it to calgary or not. Im outta lethbridge, never fished calgary lakes before. Also, last time I tried to drive to calgary my vehicle died in nanton and I was stuck for 4 hours =( I would like to catch some fish and have some warm coffee on the ice though, and Im excited to see who comes up on top. Come on hardwater!

AK47
10-25-2010, 05:54 PM
Well...I would be just tickled to finally figure out how to catch those perch. I have never caught one before. Scotch and perch...sounds like a meal

Sundance, I read your article about perch fishing in Sundance lake;)... I saw you fishing there and catching some perch... I think I even gave you small leach I found in one of mine's perch's mouth one day... ;)

And I am not saying you guys do not know how to catch perch. I am just stating that on the same lake, same conditions, even same bait, palm rod and marmish will outfish hands as it is most sensitive and most suitable fishing system for perch.
By the way just out of curiosity as I could not make to that fishing derby last year.... what was the best result? How many perch was cought by the winner?

Sundancefisher
10-25-2010, 06:48 PM
Sundance, I read your article about perch fishing in Sundance lake;)... I saw you fishing there and catching some perch... I think I even gave you small leach I found in one of mine's perch's mouth one day... ;)

And I am not saying you guys do not know how to catch perch. I am just stating that on the same lake, same conditions, even same bait, palm rod and marmish will outfish hands as it is most sensitive and most suitable fishing system for perch.
By the way just out of curiosity as I could not make to that fishing derby last year.... what was the best result? How many perch was cought by the winner?

Not sure what you mean?:thinking-006: Are we talking yellow perch or green perch? I am not sure I have ever caught one ice fishing before.:thinking-017: Let me think...

FishingMOM
10-25-2010, 07:19 PM

Perch are silly easy to catch and are even easier to turn into dinner.
Would love access to your lake.

FishingMOM
10-25-2010, 07:38 PM

Sundancefisher
10-27-2010, 01:48 PM

This will be the 3rd or 4th year in a row I have had groups out catching perch from the AOF. We have had a blast catching perch. Most times people leave with a pile...especially in early winter...pre Feb...then the perch seem to get smarter.

probably from seeing their school size decreasing by the minute:sign0068:

WayneChristie
10-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Any chance you could set it up with Jeff for this? http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=72833
Id enjoy a chance to show you city folks how its done :budo:
Oh and I used to be a firm believer in fishing perch by hand, but I am a Marmish supporter now also

vettedreamer
12-04-2010, 08:54 AM
Just about there boys

Sundancefisher
12-04-2010, 05:14 PM
checked the ice...7 inches...

I can hardly wait... Took a quick look and saw a 10 inch perch...so there are still perch to be caught!

Sundancefisher
12-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Looks like the season starts this weekend... Now I just need to see when I can get out and check out the winter perch action... Hopefully fewer...but bigger!:sHa_shakeshout: