PDA

View Full Version : Cordless drill adapter for hand ice augers

Geezle
10-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Well, I know myself and a few others were looking for these things last year, but they were pretty hard to come by. Well yesterday I found a little auger adapter at Wal-Mart of all places, and then went to WSS and saw they have them as well.

I just checked and WSS doesn't have it on their site yet, but it's made by Normark and costs about $10.

The only sticky wicket I noticed is that there is no way to solidly attach the 'bit' into the drill, so I have concerns about it coming out of the chuck and possibly going down the hole :o

xtremefisher1
10-24-2010, 10:51 AM
bass pro has the same thing but it has a thing to keep it from coming off the drill. it goes around the bit and then around the back of the drill like a elastic. hope this helps

maddwapper
10-24-2010, 12:18 PM
is an 18 volt going to last long enough to cut a 6 or 8 inch hole ,,anyone tested one of theese gadgets:test:

ULTRAlite
10-24-2010, 01:37 PM
never used one myself... but here is video proof

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULE4I1j0hv0

DarkAisling
10-24-2010, 02:15 PM
is an 18 volt going to last long enough to cut a 6 or 8 inch hole ,,anyone tested one of theese gadgets:test:

I've got the "Ice Master" one, thanks to New_Okotoks_Hunter. It works quite nicely with my 6" Normark bit and 18V Dewalt. . . lots of juice for 30 or so holes, depending on the thickness of the ice.

Unregistered user
10-24-2010, 03:30 PM
Thanx, i'll get one.

denpacc
10-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Couldn't get more than four to six holes (per battery) drilled at Spray Lake when the ice was more than 14" thick. They are great if you don't drill too many holes or the ice is less than 10" thick. 6" blade was used...

My two cents

Logan
10-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Ive used the Ice Master and have had one for about 6 years, I use it on my 8" Fin Bore Auger attached to a Rigid 24v drill and can blast about 8-10 holes through 24"+ of ice. I used to have it on my 18v Craftsman and I could get about 4-6 holes per battery depending on the ice thickness.

Bamm Bamm
10-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Geezle what WSS did you see them at?

FishingFrenzy
10-24-2010, 07:12 PM
What are the chances this would wreck a drill? What are the risks to your drill?? Thinking about trying it but dont want to wreck my 200$+ DeWalt....

Tight Lines

Stu
10-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Chances are pretty good you could ruin your drill!
Just borrow your buddies drill! lol

ghostguy6
10-24-2010, 08:02 PM
What are the chances this would wreck a drill? What are the risks to your drill?? Thinking about trying it but dont want to wreck my 200$+ DeWalt....

Tight Lines

Ive never used one of these but I would imagine as long as your blades are sharp and you use common sense your drill should be just fine.

DarkAisling
10-24-2010, 08:23 PM
Ive never used one of these but I would imagine as long as your blades are sharp and you use common sense your drill should be just fine.

X2. There is no reason for it to wreck a drill . . . unless one does something silly.

Geezle
10-24-2010, 09:58 PM
Geezle what WSS did you see them at?

The South Edmonton Common location

CeeZee
10-25-2010, 06:56 AM
a person has enough time, there are loads of them on Ebay.

Geezle
10-25-2010, 07:02 AM
Chances are pretty good you could ruin your drill!
Just borrow your buddies drill! lol

How? Just set the drill on the low speed high torque setting and have at 'er.

Kim473
10-25-2010, 07:32 AM
It would be good in the early part of the season with about a foot of ice max and a 6" hole, but give me a 8" or 10" gas auger any time after that. I would have 10 holes done in 2 ft of ice compared to your 2. I could drill holes all day but you would be limited to about 10 per battery if your lucky. And sometimes you have to chase them around the lake and punch 20 or 30 holes before you find the fish. Good drill $150 good auger $100 $250 total and your limited. $299 Eskimo auger and your not limited. I can see a use for the drill one till early Jan, but after that??? Dont think it would be good.

Geezle
10-25-2010, 07:39 AM
It would be good in the early part of the season with about a foot of ice max and a 6" hole, but give me a 8" or 10" gas auger any time after that. I would have 10 holes done in 2 ft of ice compared to your 2. I could drill holes all day but you would be limited to about 10 per battery if your lucky. And sometimes you have to chase them around the lake and punch 20 or 30 holes before you find the fish. Good drill $150 good auger $100 $250 total and your limited. $299 Eskimo auger and your not limited. I can see a use for the drill one till early Jan, but after that??? Dont think it would be good.

But to change the perspective a little bit, I already have the drill for work, and I already have the hand auger (I'll have 2 as soon as I can make it out to pick up the other one from skidderman). Granted it'll mainly only be good for the early season, but something is still better than nothing, and after that I'll be back grunting it out doing it by hand.

...until I make friends with a couple more people with gas augers... :innocent:

Unregistered user
10-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Was at Basspro today, the clerk said "They suck, dude".

mooseknuckle
10-25-2010, 05:13 PM

Well as long as it's not the same guy at bass pro that told me Len thompsons don't work for pike then........

DarkAisling
10-25-2010, 06:11 PM

If one was using a 10" bit and drilling through 24" of ice they most certainly would.

With a 6" bit and 24" or less of ice they work very nicely.

nicemustang
10-26-2010, 09:01 AM
I know this gets discussed every year, but there are a lot of new people on here. Some info for reference. I've been out to sundance with kevin and dave and they work fantastic. Couple of points for reference:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=29367&highlight=drill

Acutal video at Sundance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULE4I1j0hv0&eurl=http://ca.youtube.com/my_videos_edit2&feature=player_embedded)

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=26898&highlight=drill

jpohlic
10-26-2010, 09:25 AM
I think they're great and use mine with a 6" bit - get about 20 holes per charge. I want to try an 8" bit this year.

My van has a 110V outlet so I can plug my charger in and recharge in 20min if needed.

Kim473
10-27-2010, 07:36 AM
Well, I know myself and a few others were looking for these things last year, but they were pretty hard to come by. Well yesterday I found a little auger adapter at Wal-Mart of all places, and then went to WSS and saw they have them as well.

I just checked and WSS doesn't have it on their site yet, but it's made by Normark and costs about $10.

The only sticky wicket I noticed is that there is no way to solidly attach the 'bit' into the drill, so I have concerns about it coming out of the chuck and possibly going down the hole :o

Might be able to rig a small thing around the small side of the chuck and to the auger that will not get in the way and you can not catch your gloves on. Like a hoop or something so if the chuck losens the auger will only drop say an inch or so. Maybe even tie wire pulled tight from the chuck to the auger.

Can' be too hard to make if you know a machinist or welder. They can usualy get a hold of some material for free and then its only up to them to supply labour for free.
I'm gonna make my own driver for a drill to put ice anchors in for my tent.

Jayball
10-27-2010, 08:19 AM
I have have been dyin to get an power ice auger for years. I never even thought about this. So what about pigeon in early march when ice 24"-36" like it was last year? Do you just take you your time and go slow? I have a 14.4 v Dewalt.

nicemustang
10-27-2010, 09:02 AM
Your 14.4 volt won't have enough power or battery capacity. And when the ice is like that, this method is pretty much out the window. It's for early season ice IMO or through 12-15" or less with a 6" or smaller auger.

FISHINGNTIME
01-13-2011, 05:48 AM
I have an adapter on my 6" lazer auger. I can drill about 30-40 hole thru about 10" of ice. I bought it off of Amazon.com. It's made of stainless and comes with an alum saftey disc. It is a very sweet setup, a lot better then hand cutting holes.

Shiami
01-13-2011, 07:49 AM
I bought a 6" HT Hand Auger at The Fishin' Hole this season that came with a drill adapter.

(The boyfriend was very excited about this).

We gave it a test on a half hearted trip out to a trout pond.

Yep, it works. We got through about 14" of ice. But there are a few problems. The first being it was -25 that day, and the drill battery wasn't able to really keep a good charge at that temperature. The second is that the boyfriend didn't bother to CHARGE the drill battery before we went out. Between these factors, we only got one hole drilled before it died.

Drill was a 19.2V Craftsman (Nothing serious), and it was fine for quantity of torque and such.

I personally don't have an issue with drilling by hand, myself. I don't tend to move around too much.

fourty12
01-13-2011, 07:59 AM
I got one for Christmas from a guy on eBay recently. It's called the Ice Kicker II. It is well built and a little more solid than the ones I've seen at BPS and WSS. Cost quite a bit more but works well. I think I need a drill with better battery life though because I went out the other day and got about 2 holes per battery through 18 inches of ice. If you're not moving around a lot, it works well.

Justanotherbuck2
01-13-2011, 08:22 AM
I purchased one on ebay, has a safety disk so you can't loose it and your auger through the ice, I don't ice fish much so it works great for me. I use a dewalt 18 volt cordless and take a couple of batteries with me. At crawling Valley last year I was able to drill through about 26" of ice in under a minute and got about 4-5 holes per battery not the ten that I think the device claimed. But if you are just an occasional ice fisherman they are great.