PDA

View Full Version : Weyerhaeuser Mill In Drayton Closes

Chung66
10-19-2007, 07:56 AM
Heard this morning on the radio that the Strand Board mill in Drayton Valley Closed today due to low comodity prices. Hope it is not permanent. Lets hope these families can get back on their feet soon. Wish you guys luck!

Dick284
10-19-2007, 08:06 AM
It is a bit shocking to say the least.
From what I understand around 140 people will be affected.
It also appears the lumber mill side of things will stay open, so you never know.
Also might add it wont close till around year end.
I know many a person working there and my heart goes out to everyone who will be affected.

Morbius131
10-19-2007, 08:14 AM
It is never nice to hear about any business having to shut its doors. Hopefully the people affected will have a relatively easy transition. I have a friend or two that will be affected by this.

Morb

roger
10-19-2007, 09:07 PM
i smell the bust a'comin...lotsa 2007 diesels and toys gonna be for sale.
is this the mill that is 'downtown' drayton??

Dick284
10-19-2007, 09:37 PM
They dont call my neighborhood "Mill View" for nothing.

Grizzly Adams
10-19-2007, 11:14 PM
I bought a some of sheets of OSB last week for just under 8 bucks. A year ago, they would have been nearly twice that price. Our lumber production is based on the american market, like it or not, and our industry follows its fortunes. Lumber is traded like any other commodity and prices are set by supply and demand. Bad news for loggers, good news for Grizzly habitat. Now we just need the price of oil to bottom out and we should be overrun with the beasts::D
Grizz

Dunezilla
10-20-2007, 07:26 AM
[QUOTE=Grizzly Adams;63635 Now we just need the price of oil to bottom out and we should be overrun with the beasts::D
Grizz[/QUOTE]

It may help the grizz, but I know oil/gas wells help me as a hunter and helps out the deer by giving them fresh vegetation after the work is complete. Thanks to a big Lease site that was just completed this spring I now know where the mule deer hang out.....now if only the buck would show up.

I knew there were mule deer in that spot but the bush was dents in the area, but where the lease site is, is not that bad. I only saw two mulie does, there were six mulies in that area the year before......and 1 was a nice 3x3 or 4x3 mulie buck. It is him I want and since mulies in this WMU in certain areas run only in small pockets (usually 3 or 4 ), and spread far apart. Anymulie in the areas I hunt is a trophy.

Anyhow in a number of cases lease sites ( once completed) have been a big help for me, but a few upgraded sites spoiled the hunting spots. Anyhow I find them useful but when they are putting in a new lease sites, well it is not so good, it is not good until completed and even then it might not have helped.

Now if I wanted something to happen to oil sites then this is what I would want to happen......abanden the sites.....remove the pumps.......these site make very good treestand spots.

Drayton Valley smells like Hinton, except that Hinton smells worse......remines me of my hunting days in Hinton. Anyhow it is not good when people are out of work, but thank God Alberta at the moment has plenty of jobs for those who want to work. They can drive to Thorsby....Artic Spa needs help.

BrownBear416
10-20-2007, 09:11 AM
OSB mills are all in the crapper right now.

I worked for Weyerhauser for lots of years here at Slave untill we were shut down a year ago.Lots of Tolko mills in Northern Alberta are down to only 1 or 2 shifts of running, yet Tolko is building a brand new facility here in Slave Lake.Lots of people from Drayton will be able to get on at this mill so pass the word around.They are wanting to start up this winter but are having a hard time finding employees.

I was told by a buddy awile ago that they figured if all the OSB mills shut down that there is enough product on the market that they would not run out for 3 to 5 years.:huh:

Bushrat
10-20-2007, 02:03 PM

Drayton Valley smells like Hinton, except that Hinton smells worse......remines me of my hunting days in Hinton.

Since we don't have a pulp and paper mill here it is impossible for us to smell anything remotely like Hinton.

Doc Holiday
10-20-2007, 02:17 PM
Since we don't have a pulp and paper mill here it is impossible for us to smell anything remotely like Hinton.

was just wonderin when they put in that mill...:huh: OL'Dune needs to blow his nose methinks.....

roger
10-20-2007, 06:49 PM
come on guys. Hinton doesnt smell as bad as it looks!

Rich, did you say Mill Woods???