PDA

View Full Version : Scales

Geezle
10-26-2010, 08:06 AM
Just wondering what everybody out there is using for a scale. I've never bothered carrying one, but I've had a couple fish now that I would have liked to know the weight of, so I figured it's time I got one.

I'm not looking to get one of the super high-end ones, but something reasonably accurate just for my own personal reference :)

WillyOneStyle
10-26-2010, 08:40 AM
When I carried a scale I found that fish I figured were 4 lbs were actually 2 lbs. and fish that I thought were 1 lb didn't even register. So I stopped bringing the scale.

nicemustang
10-26-2010, 09:20 AM
When I carried a scale I found that fish I figured were 4 lbs were actually 2 lbs. and fish that I thought were 1 lb didn't even register. So I stopped bringing the scale.

LOL x2. But still bring it. I have the rapala digital, seems to be pretty accurate when I tried it on a 1lb bag of sugar and 10 lb bag of flour.

Graffy91
10-26-2010, 09:31 AM
LOL x2. But still bring it. I have the rapala digital, seems to be pretty accurate when I tried it on a 1lb bag of sugar and 10 lb bag of flour.

This is the scale my old man has, its extremely accurate.

Jay i would reccomend getting a rapala digital :)

mooseknuckle
10-26-2010, 09:49 AM
I have a spring scale from walmart it was fairly cheap and I tied a 5, 10, & 20lb weight on and each one was dead on? How long will it last me? Well I'm rough on my stuff so remains to be seen. I too would like to pick up the rapala digital, I suppose just keep some extra batteries in the tackle box and you should be good.

Graffy91
10-26-2010, 10:01 AM
I have a spring scale from walmart it was fairly cheap and I tied a 5, 10, & 20lb weight on and each one was dead on? How long will it last me? Well I'm rough on my stuff so remains to be seen. I too would like to pick up the rapala digital, I suppose just keep some extra batteries in the tackle box and you should be good.

Yeah on our boat in the storage my dad has a extra battery, which he plugs in a duracell battery charger which he runs in on the scale. This way hes always got 2 sets :).

Rockymtnx
10-26-2010, 10:12 AM
I use the following two scales. They never vary more than two ounces from each other.

Berkley
http://image.sportsmansguide.com/dimage/184245_ts.JPG?cell=300,300&cvt=jpeg

Rapala
http://huntingtonharbour.org/images/Rapala-digital-scale.jpg

iliketrout
10-26-2010, 02:10 PM
I went cheap and bought this one:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/40kg-20g-Electronic-Portable-Digital-weight-Scale-lb-/120636726728?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c16825dc8

Had it for 2 years and it has never broke on me. And I use it to weigh to my luggage when travelling and it has never varied more than .1 lb to the airline scales. Best part is that I don't care about it and if it breaks or drops in the water a new one is 5 bucks.

DANOMAN
10-26-2010, 03:20 PM
if your going to buy a scale buy a 25 lbs one as you'll never catch a 50 lb fish so those 50 lb scales are useless unless your fishing the coast.

Rockymtnx
10-26-2010, 03:29 PM
if your going to buy a scale buy a 25 lbs one as you'll never catch a 50 lb fish so those 50 lb scales are useless unless your fishing the coast.
How ya going to weigh those 30 pound pike then?

bubba 96
10-26-2010, 03:50 PM

apperently he has never fished for pike at wab....:snapoutofit:

boonedocks
10-26-2010, 07:27 PM
apperently he has never fished for pike at wab....:snapoutofit:

Or for sturgeon in the NSR.My friends and I use Berkley digitals.I have checked them several times with chickens,hams and assorted other wieghed grocerys.They are very close.I call mine "The Heartbreaker"as most people are very bad at estimating fish wieght.Battery life on these units is very good as they shut off on there own.

Geezle
10-27-2010, 07:31 AM

I bet the sturgeon I caught this summer would have at least come close to maxing out a 25 lb scale. I'd rather be overprepared than under.

Thanks for the advice everybody :)