PDA

View Full Version : ice fishing question

ORV
10-26-2010, 01:05 PM
looking at a new snow suit for ice fishing season.
the helley hansen polar parka,s i have heard good things about.
a little pricey for me but what do you guys,gals, think?
i prefer being outside the tent if possible.

appreciate any info.

thanks

orv.

Graffy91
10-26-2010, 01:11 PM

appreciate any info.

thanks

orv.

I just use my snowboard gear :D, works amazing. Jacket and ski pants, i needa buy some new gloves though.

EZM
10-26-2010, 01:36 PM
H/H is awesome - I don't regret spending the extra few bucks - worth every penny.

DarkAisling
10-26-2010, 01:37 PM
I'm thinking that I'll be picking up three of these:
http://www.mustangsurvival.com/products/product.php?id=547&mc=7

I'm not 100% decided yet, though.

ORV
10-26-2010, 01:46 PM
those look good as well shelly.
it would be nice to have one that would cover everything for sure.
the mustang is great for the boat too.
i just wonder how warm they are in minus 20 ?

anyone know?

orv.

New Hunter Okotoks
10-26-2010, 01:52 PM
I wear a one-piece insulated Carhart suit.Lots of pockets and lots of movement. I don't know what the other outfits sell for,but mine was $220.00 from Marks and I'm happy with it.Mind you it has to serve double duty for work as well.

1 suggestion I would make is to make sure it is waterproof if possible.I found the carharts could get heavy at the boots from drilling holes and loading up with slush.Also,the knees would get wet from kneeling on the ice.

pseelk
10-26-2010, 02:03 PM

appreciate any info.

thanks

orv.

HH is very good perhaps a little bulky but warm.If you wait until Nov they usually put them on sale I got mine for 50%off.The sale is only a 1 or 2 day sale so you have to watch for it You can find out when the sale is ,Go and buy it when you need it ,keep your reciept and they will refund the difference.As long as the sale occurs within 30 days of your purchase.Good luck

ORV
10-26-2010, 02:22 PM
where did you get your hh from?
50% off would be cool.

orv.

slingshotz
10-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Best ever investment for us ice fishing was Arctic Armor pants http://www.iceshanty.com/iceshanty/iceshanty_store/gearshop/idi-arctic-armor-fish307.html.

I assume that the jacket would be as good but I use my old snowboard jacket. The pants are so toasty warm, I have no issues sitting on the ice in -20.

spurly
10-26-2010, 04:08 PM
If you go with Carharts, a good set of Gators, helps keep the bottoms dry.

Cal
10-26-2010, 04:22 PM
I wear a one-piece insulated Carhart suit.Lots of pockets and lots of movement. I don't know what the other outfits sell for,but mine was $220.00 from Marks and I'm happy with it.Mind you it has to serve double duty for work as well.

1 suggestion I would make is to make sure it is waterproof if possible.I found the carharts could get heavy at the boots from drilling holes and loading up with slush.Also,the knees would get wet from kneeling on the ice.

I'm to cheap to buy carharts but I do have a pair of the knock offs, then use as many layers under them as needed. Your average canadian should own enough underwear, hoodies, and sweatpants that staying warm while ice fishing doesnt take much investment past what they already have. Put the bucks into the boots cause thats the one place you can only layer so much before it gets counter productive.

honker_clonker
10-26-2010, 04:47 PM
I've got Arctic Shield bibs and they are very warm. They have some sort of tinfoil like a survival blanket built into them to radiate heat back at you and it actually works. If you are moving around even a little bit it keeps you warm. Being sessile I've also noticed that I am warmer for longer. Just watch how much you sweat and try stay as dry underneath as possible, thats the real key. Might be worth checking out.

maddwapper
10-26-2010, 08:28 PM
i work out side in the two piece suit,,have been for years .youll never be cold most times youll be to warm ,ive worn car harts the canvas gets cold then you get cold exellent for ice fishing:thinking-006:

maddwapper
10-26-2010, 08:32 PM
this arctic shield sounds good where did you buy and how much

gramps73
10-26-2010, 08:38 PM
I have a set of the Ice Armours bibs and I really like them have also used them in the boat once and while.

horsetrader
10-26-2010, 08:53 PM

I use the mustang survival 2 piece bib and coat even use them on the boat late in the year.coat takes a little getting use to seem bulky around neck at first but they are great never been cold or wet with them.

H:happy0034:

Chris K
10-26-2010, 11:55 PM
These are awesome and worth every penny!

http://snosuit.com/products/

Chris K

honker_clonker
10-27-2010, 01:56 PM
I got the arctic shields at Wholesale sports north end at its grand opening. They might carry it still, they were around 200 bucks which isnt too bad.

raceu4it
10-27-2010, 02:31 PM
i think all u need is a good tent to go to when ur cold.

Sundancefisher
10-27-2010, 03:41 PM

They sell plastic coated foam knee pads for gardeners that attach with velco straps.

That would solve your problem with cold wet knees.

Sundancefisher
10-27-2010, 03:43 PM
I use the mustang survival 2 piece bib and coat even use them on the boat late in the year.coat takes a little getting use to seem bulky around neck at first but they are great never been cold or wet with them.

H:happy0034:

I use them all the time for salmon fishing. I think they may be too heavy and bulking for me on the ice...however it is definitely the product to have if you fall through...provided someone is on shore to help. You will find limited leg movement to get yourself back on the ice and just to be safe you should carry around two heavy duty screw drivers in your pocket to act like ice picks if you are alone.

It might give you 5 minutes in the water before you are too numb to move.

WayneChristie
10-27-2010, 06:31 PM
i think all u need is a good tent to go to when ur cold.

what tent???? :grouphugg: dont see any problems keeping warm with that bunch around!!!! :sHa_shakeshout:

Garry B
10-27-2010, 07:39 PM
After searching through the Edmonton Canadian Tire stores for IDI Gear's (http://www.idigear.com/) Arctic Armor (http://www.idigear.com/arcticarmor.php) I ended up buying the Arctic Gear jacket ($89) and bibs ($89) from the new Canadian Tire in Windermere.

First I talked with the general manger of the new store and he told me when he was running the CT store up in Cold Lake he said they sold loads of these suits and people were very happy with them. He brought them in over the AA because they were comparable in quality but superior in price.

Then I went to the Canadian Tire on Gateway Boulevard and tried on the Arctic Armor jacket there. I was VERY impressed. It was light and I had to take it off soon because it was just way to hot with it on in the store. The problem was it cost almost $300 for the jacket alone - bibs would be more.

So a few days later I went back to the Windermere CT and tried the AG jacket. It was very nice too. Soft and quiet outside material. I can't say it was as hot as the Arctic armor though. Maybe not $200 cooler though. So I bought it thinking I could upgrade in the future should it not prove warm enough. I suspect it will be OK though.

npauls
10-27-2010, 07:46 PM
I bought the arctic armor last fall to wear in the boat for spring and fall fishing and on the ice in the winter. Best fishing accessory investment I have ever made. Not only is it light weight and super warm. But it is also really easy to move around in and not bulky at all. It also floats so if you end up falling out of the boat or through the ice you have the insurance of staying above the water to try and help yourself out. If I ever have to replace this outfit it will be with the same gear or something similar.

Nate

SushiUnagi
11-08-2010, 10:22 PM

These look like what they make whale watching tourists wear departing from Vancouver