PDA

View Full Version : Goose MMMMMMM!!!

Redfrog
10-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Well I managed to get out for a while on Wed. with my old lab. I love spending time hunting with a dog,. Seems I don't do nearly enough of it.

We sat on small slough and listened to the coyotes and watched as ducks and geese passed far overhead. It was a perfect evening watching the sun getting lower and the sky changing colors, reflecting on how lucky I was.

We managed to bag one Canada, as a bonus.:D

My wife isn't a hunter by any stretch. and doesn't eat much game. She likes elk or moose, but will pass on everything else. I on the other hand will eat anything that is slow enough for me to catch.:) BTW, I do all the cooking at my house.

I breasted the goose. sliced each side of the breast into 4 pieces about 1/2 inch thick. I layered the meat in a glass dish, sprinkling each layer with lemon pepper. In the fridge for 24 hours.

Last night I gave the meat a quick rinse. I took a small piece and fried it in olive oil to see how tough it was. Cooked to medium rare, it was delicious.
I know "Yes Dear" won't eat meat unless it is well done, and I also knew this would be tough if it was fried to "well done".

Out came the pressure cooker. A little olive oil, garlic cloves and sliced onion in the pot. I seared the breast meat added some water and 15 minutes later it was done.

I panfried some spuds and steamed some brocoli and we were good to go.

My wife asked what's for dinner. When I told her she crinkled her nose and said "I'm not eating that".

I said "You'll eat what I cook and like it".........on the inside:lol: :lol:

I said just try it. She tried a small piece and was convinced it was beef. Same texture, color, and no gamey taste. :D

It is a long slow education sometimes, but we have one more game dish on the menu.

If you have never used a pressure cooker, it is worth investigating. Sometimes people have them and don't use them very often.
I use them a lot in hunt camp. They are so fast and easy.

Stew in 15 minutes, and roast in about 35 minutes. They take the guess work out of how old the game is.

M70
10-19-2007, 11:21 AM
My mom used a pressure cooker all the time when we were kids but I've never used one myself. Your post makes me want to give it a try. Looks like the food processor we got for a wedding gift 15 years ago and used only twice will be getting a heave ho to make room for a pressure cooker!

bruceba
10-19-2007, 02:43 PM
I said "You'll eat what I cook and like it".........on the inside
Redfrog spoken like a real man of the house:lol:
Now from reading many of your posts over time I see you have an appreciation for the the true riches of the world and a good sence of humor. You would be an insperaation at any camp fire.

Jamie
10-19-2007, 04:09 PM
Bruce...
Yes Redfrog is a hell of a guy. Both him and his wife are good people.

Jamie

Redfrog
10-21-2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks Guys. I'm blessed and I know it.:D

Andrzej
10-22-2007, 02:38 PM
Redfrog
Would you mind to share your favorite Pressure cooker Stew and Roast recipe.
Leaving on Wednesday for week long Moose camp with my 2 adult sons and not one of us is in to cooking. I see what they packing ...Craft Dinner...I would like to surprise them....There was Omelet in freezer bag...Where to look for those things.
Thanks Andrew

Redfrog
10-22-2007, 04:06 PM
Last trip out I cooked boneless blade roast for dinner twice. Dinner was for 4 guys and there were no leftovers.

I use a bit of olive oil , chopped onions and a couple garlic cloves in the cooker over medium heat till the onions are just brown. If you burn the onions or garlic they get bitter. I take the onions and Garlic out and put the seasoned roast in. I use Montreal steak spice or Lemon pepper or whatever I grab from the grub box.:D Sear it all round , top and bottom. Add the onions back and a couple cups water, so it comes 1/2 way up the roast.

Put the lid on. when the pressure cooker vents, I add the little rocker to the top, and adjust the heat so that it just keeps rocking slowly. 35-40 minutes I remove from heat and allow the cooker to cool and get to zero pressure.

I remove the roast to "Rest" . While that is happening, I either cook spuds in the liquid in the cooker, save the stock for soup, or use some or all of it and make gravy using some corn starch to thicken.

If I make gravy, then of course I would cook potatoes in another pot and served mashed with gravy or mashed with a little garlic powder and butter, or mashed with cheez whiz. I like some kind of vegie as well.

When I cook I don't really have a recipe, but mostly go by a rough outline:D That way I seldom get bored.

Stews are basically the same. I start with sauteed onions, a garlic clove or two. I dice the meat and brown it. The meat could be anything from rabbit to ducks to deer, elk, moose or beef, or any combo of the above.

Add diced spuds, carrots, turnip, maybe a fresh parsnip, a can of diced tomatoes or mushroom soup, some liquid, water, beer or maybe water and a wee dram or cup of Yukon Jack. The pot is 3/4 full. Bring to pressure and cook for about 10-12 minutes. pressure down.
Then some times I'll make dumplings. I use the same recipe for dumplings that I use for baking powder biscuits. the difference is a tiny bit more liquid in the dumpling batch. Drop them on top of the stew return to a boil and 10 minutes or so you're done. I can never tell if the dumplings are better or the biscuits. Both are insanely easy to make so I just make whatever moves me at the moment.
If I make biscuits instead of dumplings I thicken the stew with some corn starch. I prefer corn starch to flour as it dissolves readily in a little cold water and finishes the stew or gravy with a nice sheen.
This stew is good for ducks and geese or grouse, when age is in question. The cooker makes them all young birds.

I'm really flexible with cooking. Today I decided I wanted some soup. The only canned soup I use is mushroom in some meals I'm cooking. Otherwise I make soup from scratch. I find it calming to do the prep and it really doesn't take long.

I started with olive oil, chopped onions, garlic clove of course. Sauteed them, added a couple handfuls of mixed frozen vegies, two pieces of left over goose breast diced fine. Two strips of bacon, diced fine. I added a can of kidney beans and a couple cups of water. Brought it a boil, and added a handful of pasta. Today I used the one that looks like macaroni with an extra twist.:D I tossed in a good dose of Italian seasonings, put the lid on and cooked under pressure for 5 minutes. Pressured down.

This soup had the mature taste of a soup that had simmered for a day or two on the old wood stove. The house smells great and lunch was perfect.:D I'll likely vac seal some for my next trip. I'm headed out again on Friday for the north.:D

Last trip out, we had a rainy "camp day" We sat around resting and telling lies. I put my dutch oven on the propane stove. I had brought a pork loin roast seasoned with Lemon pepper and double wrapped in foil. I put it in the freezer like that for the trip. As the meat thaws the seasonings get a chance to do their work.

I put it in a dry dutch oven. A couple hours later my nose told me it was done. It was indeed done. Golden brown on the outside moist and tender on the inside. I cooked up 4-5 apples into applesauce. It was great.
The toughest part was keeping one of the guys from adding some liquid to the dutch oven. He was terrified the roast was going to burn. :lol: :lol:

I like fast simple good tasting meals and find that it really takes less time to prepare those kind of meals with a little planning. I'm not really a Vienna sausage and Kraft dinner kind of guy.
:)

Andrzej
10-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks a bunch....
Andrew

TreeGuy
10-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Redfrog.....would you marry me? You probably run the only camp where the guys come out heavier than they went in!:lol: :lol: Good stuff, thanks.

Tree