PDA

View Full Version : biggest pike out there in AB?

LacLaBicheNS
10-28-2010, 09:41 PM
Just for conversations sake... What do you think the biggest pike in AB is?

I have been argueing with my roomate for awhile about this. He thinks in our area (lac la biche) the biggest there is is 25lbs. I caught one this big a few weeks ago and he said its the biggest one I'll ever get in lac la biche.

I have told him that F&G have netted 50lbs pike in Newell and Wab and he doens't beleive me. I told him I would bet my salary that there is a 40lbs pike in lac la biche.. He thinks I'm delusional...

I'm a pike junkie.. I couldn't care less about a 14lbs walleye, I'd rather a 30lbs pike.. So I'm curious.

What do you think? ANy good stories about some big ones? Pictures would be great.

fish-man
10-28-2010, 10:20 PM
Biggest one I've seen (caught) in Wabamun was about 25 lbs... Biggest one I've heard of was 33 lbs, but the guy might have been lying to me.

LacLaBicheNS
10-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Biggest one I've seen (caught) in Wabamun was about 25 lbs... Biggest one I've heard of was 33 lbs, but the guy might have been lying to me.

Its interesting to me that when I show people a legit 10lbs pike they say "at least 15lbs". Or when they tell me they caught a 10lbs pike it literally is no bigger than 7lbs..

to see a 20, 25 or 30lbs pike is surreal in size.

I have had more than a few people try to pass off a 15lber as a 20lber lol..

I'm not getting this from pics of pike people post on AO, I'm stating this based on fish I actually see in person.

fish-man
10-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Well, I'll be honest.. the 25 lber is based on an online "weight calculator". The fish was 45 inches long and pretty thick across. I can't be sure what it weighed, but I was kind of afraid of it.

hockey1099
10-28-2010, 10:59 PM
Its interesting to me that when I show people a legit 10lbs pike they say "at least 15lbs". Or when they tell me they caught a 10lbs pike it literally is no bigger than 7lbs..

to see a 20, 25 or 30lbs pike is surreal in size.

I have had more than a few people try to pass off a 15lber as a 20lber lol..

I'm not getting this from pics of pike people post on AO, I'm stating this based on fish I actually see in person.

I completely agree witht this statement. I have been catching and weighing alot of big pike lately. What people think is 10 is often way less. The 19.3lb one we landed was huge. The problem with guessing weight by length is that pike seem to grow long first then they grow from the back bone down to the belly and then finally they get wide across the back. If you think of it like lumber you can have a 2x4 a 2x6 and a 6x6 all about the same lenght but the weight will be very different thats how i find pike to be.

As for biggest in alberta i bet there are the odd 40 plus pike in plenty of lakes the problem is finding them and using equipment heavy enough to handle them. I have hooks as long as a 2L pop bottles, use a heavy duty rod, 30lb test line and 24" 45lb steel leaders. my biggest failure has come at the leader i have straighened a few and a few break. Im hoping to land a 30lber this weekend but ill be happy with 20.

LacLaBicheNS
10-28-2010, 11:14 PM
I completely agree witht this statement. I have been catching and weighing alot of big pike lately. What people think is 10 is often way less. The 19.3lb one we landed was huge. The problem with guessing weight by length is that pike seem to grow long first then they grow from the back bone down to the belly and then finally they get wide across the back. If you think of it like lumber you can have a 2x4 a 2x6 and a 6x6 all about the same lenght but the weight will be very different thats how i find pike to be.

As for biggest in alberta i bet there are the odd 40 plus pike in plenty of lakes the problem is finding them and using equipment heavy enough to handle them. I have hooks as long as a 2L pop bottles, use a heavy duty rod, 30lb test line and 24" 45lb steel leaders. my biggest failure has come at the leader i have straighened a few and a few break. Im hoping to land a 30lber this weekend but ill be happy with 20.

A few tips
-I've tried numerous lines/braid.. 50lbs power pro is 10x betten than anything else for pike. even 30lbs braid would snap on me when I would get a backlash using a big pike lure. 50lbs also lets you crank down on the drag and reel "small pike" in very fast so they easily swim away instead of tiring them out. plus 50lbs power pro makes you more than ready for the once in a life time 30+ pike.

-I agree.. leaders are the hardest peices of good pike tackle to put together. the problem I have is that 99% of leaders break at the snap/swivel. The steel of the leader may be good for 45lbs, but the sh*t snap/swivel snaps at 20lbs.. I finally found a good leader that has snaps/swivels that don't break. Can't recall the name, but I found them at WSS, 50lbs test, 18 inches long.

- are you using bait casters? so much better than spinning gear for pike...

I agree about your weight statements.. I don't like weighing fish ( I don't have a lip scale), but the ones I have weighed shocked me when I saw how much they actually weighed. I thought the 42 inch 22lbs pike I let go last summer was a 30lbs pike until I weighed it lol..

KegRiver
10-29-2010, 06:29 AM
I do believe that the Alberta record Northern Pike was a 38.0 lbs Pike caught in 1983 by David Anderson at Keho Lake

calgarygringo
10-29-2010, 07:25 AM
If I was a betting man and from experience fishing in the south I believe the next whale will come from either Chin Coulee or Lake Newell. I have seen and caught 30+ pounders and have heard netting stories of way bigger ones than that. I talked to someone that was diving in Chin and he said he saw a few that were literally like sharks. Almost wanted to get out of there.

bucknaked333
10-29-2010, 07:43 AM
My grandfather netted a 44 pounder in newell back in the 70s.

TexasTornado
10-29-2010, 08:03 AM
There are many 40's roaming Alberta waters...................

nicemustang
10-29-2010, 09:10 AM
wasn't there a 30 lb winner caught at the badger tourney last year or the year before? Pretty sure it was.

And plenty of 30+ lb pike and probably many 40+ lb pike. Lots in northern AB in lakes that you might now be able to get to.

My personal best is 24.5 LB 45.5" pike in travers, ice fishing no less.

nicemustang
10-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Point him to the Alberta Outdoorsmen page for angler of the year, all of them are over 30 lbs. Lots from Newell.

http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/anglers-of-the-year.html

RedFisher
10-29-2010, 09:37 AM
Last year i was fishing at lac la biche lake with some family and my uncle had a pike on that wouldnt fit through a 10'' auger hole.... he ended up fighting with it for close to 1/2 an hour when i started drilling another hole beside his to try and get it up it ran down again and snapped 40 pound spider wire.... so you tell me how if the biggest is 25 lbs how would it do that... not possible ive pulled 25's out of wab. last winter through a 10'' inch no issue... well it was alittle tricky but not like the one at lac la biche... just my 2 cents...

Graffy91
10-29-2010, 09:46 AM
Last year i was fishing at lac la biche lake with some family and my uncle had a pike on that wouldnt fit through a 10'' auger hole.... he ended up fighting with it for close to 1/2 an hour when i started drilling another hole beside his to try and get it up it ran down again and snapped 40 pound spider wire.... so you tell me how if the biggest is 25 lbs how would it do that... not possible ive pulled 25's out of wab. last winter through a 10'' inch no issue... well it was alittle tricky but not like the one at lac la biche... just my 2 cents...

Keep the stories coming!

Much better than schoolwork :D

fishinggeek
10-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Well my bro and i went out one day at wabamum. Got most of it on vid. pulled over 30 pike out. the last one on the vid was just over 44 inch long, we estimated at about 28-30lbs. And this wasn't the biggest we seen out there. So yeah theres a 40 in wab somewhere.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-jKpvMbFCM

nicemustang
10-29-2010, 09:54 AM
All this about wabamum...have to get up there and try it this year. Where does a guy ice fish on wab?

Graffy91
10-29-2010, 09:55 AM
Well my bro and i went out one day at wabamum. Got most of it on vid. pulled over 30 pike out. the last one on the vid was just over 44 inch long, we estimated at about 28-30lbs. And this wasn't the biggest we seen out there. So yeah theres a 40 in wab somewhere.

If only Youtube wasnt blocked on my schools wifi... D:

Rockymtnx
10-29-2010, 10:32 AM
I would have to say that there are a few 40 + pounders out there. I have one buddy (also a AO member) who usually can manage to catch a 28-32lb pike out of Pigeon each winter. I know a couple years ago he managed to get two 30 + pounders out of Pigeon in a matter of weeks.

Yes Keg River, you are right on the current registered Alberta 38lb record caught by David Anderson in 1983 @ Keho Lake. There have been many bigger ones caught though. Once of our fish and game members caught a legitimate 44 pound pike up north three years ago. I also know of a 40 plus pounder caught in one of the live traps during a walleye study in Pigeon Lake.

catnthehat
10-29-2010, 10:47 AM
I know of more than a few that were well over 35 lbs. caught in lake Athabasca on the Alberta side, but these fish have never been registered , in fact the guys do not even know about AO, a couple don't even own a computer!:sign0161:
Cat

LacLaBicheNS
10-29-2010, 11:03 AM
Great stories..

I need to get down to Wab and newell lakes this summer.

The problem I find with going after big pike is I can't find a decent fishing partner to do so. All the guys I go with get frustrated if I target 30lb plus pike. I truely believe the big ones behave very different than the little ones (under 40 inches).

Maybe next summer I'll camp at newell for a week and see if any AO guys would like to target big pike for a week.

I also want to try a few lakes north of Ft Mac that I have heard have a good population of big ones.

Anyone else out there own a bunch of muskie lures and use them for pike like myself? I'm talking believers, big grandma lures, 6 inch lure jenson's etc... On my christmas wish list is a 7'6 heavy trigger rod to make a new pike set up.

I know not many AO members like giving out secret spots, but if your willing I'd love to here some lol.

I have also heard a few years ago biologists netted a 55lbs pike out of Newell. Anyone else hear this?

LacLaBicheNS
10-29-2010, 11:05 AM
I know of more than a few that were well over 35 lbs. caught in lake Athabasca on the Alberta side, but these fish have never been registered , in fact the guys do not even know about AO, a couple don't even own a computer!:sign0161:
Cat

Lake athabasca is on my to do list this summer.

There is a youtube video somewhere of a 55inch pike caught and released. It was a spring pike so it was really skinny. I am thinking that fish in the fall would be a record breaker.

TexasTornado
10-29-2010, 11:13 AM
There is a Northern in Sylvan that would be pushing 60". I seen this fish on more than one occasion in the same spot, it was like time stopped when she came in and put her nose on my smelt and then swam slowly away for what seemed like 5 minutes. My leg shakes thinking about it while writing this.

Looking down on her in 15fow her back looked like it was close to a foot across. This is no horse @#$% story fella's, if someone where to catch her "Molly" she would be the Alberta record hands down not even a minor debate.

crazyfish
10-29-2010, 11:18 AM
Cat

X2 ,Lake Athabasca.... couple guys i work with went up there last winter on sleds for a 3 night trip, largest was over 40# !They had a bunch over 30 , and lost track of the number they caught ! He says he doesn't care about a record , just having fun !

mooseknuckle
10-29-2010, 12:22 PM

Great video!! That pretty much describes a good day at Wab!! Might take a little work finding them now that the inlet is no longer, but hey doesn't mean there not there!!

KegRiver
10-29-2010, 12:43 PM
I wonder what there is in Bistcho Lake. I have seen claims of 30lb and bigger from that lake.
Many years ago I went in one winter with family and tried it.
We only fished for one afternoon. The largest we caught was 22lbs. We had to skidoo in. There was no road that came close at that time.
I know there is commercial fishing on the Lake but to the best of my knowledge they target Walleye and Whitefish. There is Jacks fishing Lodge, Topowan-whatever. But other then that there is no recreational fishing on the lake.

I was told that you can now drive to within two or three miles of the lake at any time of year. With so little fishing pressure, and such a large lake, there should be lots of large fish and a few real monsters in that lake.

Gust
10-29-2010, 02:45 PM
Can't say where but this gorgeous weather is bring the 48 inchers to the fore. If I recognise your name and you're in the Southern part of the province, I'll tell you where and what to use.

Sundancefisher
10-29-2010, 03:18 PM

I have been argueing with my roomate for awhile about this. He thinks in our area (lac la biche) the biggest there is is 25lbs. I caught one this big a few weeks ago and he said its the biggest one I'll ever get in lac la biche.

I have told him that F&G have netted 50lbs pike in Newell and Wab and he doens't beleive me. I told him I would bet my salary that there is a 40lbs pike in lac la biche.. He thinks I'm delusional...

I'm a pike junkie.. I couldn't care less about a 14lbs walleye, I'd rather a 30lbs pike.. So I'm curious.

What do you think? ANy good stories about some big ones? Pictures would be great.

I have caught pike in Lac St. Anne that would not fit up an 8 inch hole...

I have seen monsters in the North Saskatchewan.

I have heard of monsters in the large Bow River back eddies

I electrofished monsters upstream of the Town of Athabasca.

I saw a monster eat a toy poodle in Baptiste Lake

Monsters are around...you just need to put the time in to find one...and when you do...please release it. Take a length, girth and lots of photos (remember to let the fish breath under water)... Then get a graphite mount done. Way nicer...easier to repair...just an all round right thing to do. Also frame the photo of you with the fish and hang beside the mount.

ruttnbuckcojack
10-29-2010, 04:07 PM
I've ice fished Sylvan for year's and caught a few hogs and Ive seen some gaints, There very well maybe a 60" in there He may have got really lucky last year.28178

TexasTornado
10-29-2010, 04:19 PM
http://monsterquestreview.blogspot.com/2009/07/monsterquest-look-giant-freshwater-fish.html

This was a sweet episode of Monster Quest

go-big-or-go-home
10-29-2010, 04:41 PM
east Twin Lake.....

kreator
10-29-2010, 06:36 PM
There are likely many 40+ pounders in Lac La Biche. Problem with monster jacks like that is that they are practically immune to capture. You would need absolutely massive tackle. I've heard about and seen first hand many LLB jacks over 30 pounds caught in nets.

In Ray Chipeniuk's "Lakes of the Lac La Biche District" there is a picture of a 40 lb jack from Seibert caught in a net in 1915.

LacLaBicheNS
10-29-2010, 07:25 PM
There are likely many 40+ pounders in Lac La Biche. Problem with monster jacks like that is that they are practically immune to capture. You would need absolutely massive tackle. I've heard about and seen first hand many LLB jacks over 30 pounds caught in nets.

In Ray Chipeniuk's "Lakes of the Lac La Biche District" there is a picture of a 40 lb jack from Seibert caught in a net in 1915.

lol... I got the tackle.. I'm just slowly peicing together (guessing) where, when and how to catch these giant pike.

Off toping, but not really.. I think no one should be allowed to keep a pike under 1 meter. Or even have a zero pike limit on lakes that used to produce giants in the past. We need to let the breeding get back to the way it was.

too many pike are kept from what I can see personally.

Great stories.. keep them comming

fluxcore
10-29-2010, 07:46 PM
I was ice fishing sylvan last year and hooked into a pike that just wouldn't fit up an 8" auger hole no mater what we tried, we got a few chances before it got off (straitened my jig right out). I have no idea of the weight but I caught a true 26lber (on a good scale "released") the year before and this fish dwarfed it big time. I'm guessing ill probably never get another chance at a trophy like that ever again and I live to fish, oh well thats what keeps me coming back.

Little Valy
10-29-2010, 08:12 PM
I've read some posts in the past that F&W were doing studies in southern reservoires and netted several pike between 40lbs and 53lbs.Don't know if it's true but that would be something to get one of those on a fly rod.

Safety D
10-29-2010, 08:28 PM
I guided proffessionally for years and have fished a few lakes in the shield areas. Hands down your best bet for a very large northern is Lake Athabasca. Two 49 inchers and one 48 were the largest ones i seen and guided for !!!!

FishingFrenzy
10-29-2010, 08:36 PM
i guided proffessionally for years and have fished a few lakes in the shield areas. Hands down your best bet for a very large northern is lake athabasca. Two 49 inchers and one 48 were the largest ones i seen and guided for !!!!

its dead there

terriblebear
10-29-2010, 09:36 PM
I've talked to the fisheries tech who netted that 44 lb pike out of pigeon and talked to another who obtained a 43 lber from Bistcho lake off a commercial fisherman. Newell lake has commercially produced a 46 lber. In the mid 80's The head of Travel Alberta was dismayed to find out a First nation teenager's spoon caught 55 lber was not eligable for IGFA recognition because to get it into his canoe safely, he shot it! I think Alberta does have fish big enough to beat the world record.

Gust
10-29-2010, 09:41 PM
any pike lovers please ask

LacLaBicheNS
10-29-2010, 09:53 PM
any pike lovers please ask

ask for?

LacLaBicheNS
10-29-2010, 09:54 PM
its dead there

can you explain? Not from what I have read

Gust
10-29-2010, 10:57 PM

you can find the article online about the fellow and his 62 inch pike, with pictures,,, if you want 48+ just drop me a line

Gust
10-29-2010, 10:59 PM
lol... I got the tackle.. I'm just slowly peicing together (guessing) where, when and how to catch these giant pike.

Off toping, but not really.. I think no one should be allowed to keep a pike under 1 meter. Or even have a zero pike limit on lakes that used to produce giants in the past. We need to let the breeding get back to the way it was.

don't go deep,,, use lures flashy lures and slowly,,,, try to sp[oon before freeze up

pickrel pat
10-30-2010, 12:02 AM
I guided proffessionally for years and have fished a few lakes in the shield areas. Hands down your best bet for a very large northern is Lake Athabasca. Two 49 inchers and one 48 were the largest ones i seen and guided for !!!!lol! you are someone this forum takes seriously! you caught them two? must be dead now! i still love your antics! (means shinanagins!) lol!

Penner
10-30-2010, 07:41 AM
Newell lake no contest.

WayneChristie
10-30-2010, 08:13 AM
Not just Newell, there are a lot of southern reservoirs with the right conditions to produce monster pike. Eventually someone is going to be at the right place with the right lure or bait and land a 40 pound plus, if not 50. The provincial record is going to fall soon.

Kim473
10-30-2010, 08:24 AM
Alberta record is 38 lbs I saw one come out of Utikima that covered the tail gate of a truck. Must have been over 30lbs. Was caught in a net. I think the next record will come out of wabmun.

mooseknuckle
10-30-2010, 08:33 AM
Alberta record is 38 lbs I saw one come out of Utikima that covered the tail gate of a truck. Must have been over 30lbs. Was caught in a net. I think the next record will come out of wabmun.

I hope your right about that, I plan on hitting it next week and I'm felling lucky. lol. I'm thinking this winter someone will at least pull a 35 out of somewhere!! Newell, sylvan, pigeon, Wab.... I don't care where I just hope it's someone on this forum with a good camera.:sHa_shakeshout:

antlercarver
10-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Go to the library and look up a book called Lakes of the Lac La Biche District by R.C. Chipeniuk. On page 3 is a picture of a 40 lb. pike, on page 307 is a story of a 73 lb. pike from martineau flats of Cold lake. Also look up Windy lake and Corner lake. I think the big ones are out there and as commercial fishing is declining we will see more big ones. I heard of 50 lbs. from Seibert but I never saw it on the scale and we know the reputation fishermen have.

justinO
10-30-2010, 05:05 PM

I totally agree.. A slot limit should be in place in all our lakes for all fish. Especially lake trout, walley and pike. I don't understand why people want to keep the big spawning fish no one thinks of the future especially our govnt :angry3:!!!!!!!!! Take a picture and let them go.. We need trophy management in our lakes.

pikester
10-30-2010, 05:48 PM
There are definitely some high 30#, low 40# pike in Newell & Travers. Like Wayne says, the potential for catching a 40lber exsists in many southern Alberta reservoirs, but the chances are certainly higher in some lakes than others. When you take the fact that trophy sized pike are extremely sensitive to evironmental conditions (ie weather, barometric pressure, light levels, etc.) & throw in the fact that fish that size eat bigger meals & go longer between feeding periods, the chances of having your bait in the right place at just the right time must be slim indeed!

I'm sure many of us has pulled a spoon or crankbait right across the path of a 35-40+ lb pike but said fish was too full or to unmotivated to chomp our offerings :angry3:

fish on
10-30-2010, 06:05 PM
There is a Northern in Sylvan that would be pushing 60". I seen this fish on more than one occasion in the same spot, it was like time stopped when she came in and put her nose on my smelt and then swam slowly away for what seemed like 5 minutes. My leg shakes thinking about it while writing this.

Looking down on her in 15fow her back looked like it was close to a foot across. This is no horse @#$% story fella's, if someone where to catch her "Molly" she would be the Alberta record hands down not even a minor debate.

My father has lived at Sylvan lake most of his life. He told me stories snorkeling in the spring some of the pike you would see make you turn white. Moss back only eats once a month

greylynx
10-30-2010, 07:04 PM
If I was a betting man and from experience fishing in the south I believe the next whale will come from either Chin Coulee or Lake Newell. I have seen and caught 30+ pounders and have heard netting stories of way bigger ones than that. I talked to someone that was diving in Chin and he said he saw a few that were literally like sharks. Almost wanted to get out of there.

When I worked for provincial fisheries and we were trapping Walleye in Chin for eggs to be distributed elsewhere in Alberta, there were big pike caught in those traps, real big pike. Like really big pike.

Right around the bridge is a good place.

And yes there are lots of bank fisherman in that area.

FishingFrenzy
10-30-2010, 08:10 PM

Sorry, i was just mocking Saftey D

fish-man
10-31-2010, 12:14 AM
If you hooked a pike that big in open water (no snags) I think it would be pretty catchable. Pike are strong and fast but they have limited endurance, let it run enough times and even a monster pike will turn side-up and come in. The hardest part would be handling it by the boat.

pickrel pat
10-31-2010, 02:03 AM
any LARGE body of water, that contain oily fish,(whitefish acisco, tullibee and suckers,) could produce big pike... who knows ? i sorta do! has to be large water with oily(fatty) fish.... we know that.

bisonhunter
10-31-2010, 07:34 AM
i know it's not alberta, but i regularly catch pike over 20lbs, lot's over 25lbs, and a few over 30 every year, many of these fish already have something else in their gullet, usually a whitefish, or a burbot. the thing to note is that the fish in the gullet is usually between 4-7lbs. big pike like big food. i find the big len thompson five o diamonds is the go to hook for great slave lake pike, although anything will catch fish.
ive used the same set up since i started fishing gsl. medium action spinning rod, 12 lb mono, 12 inch wire leader. MAKE SURE YOUR DRAG IS SET i think is the key to catching the big girls. it usually takes about 10-15 minutes to get a big fish to the boat.
my personal best fish took 55 minutes to boat, 58 inches long, 33 inches around the belly. i suspect it was close to that magical 50lb mark, but i didn't have the heart to keep her and in those days i didn't carry a scale (7 years ago). my next best fish was 42lbs, but it was quite a bit smaller than the other one.
by personal choice i never keep the big ones, 12-16 pounders give the best filets in my opinion. i like to see good genetics stay in the lake, and it takes a lot of years for those giants to get that big in cold water.
back to the original topic i would love to see one of you folks holding the new ab record with a billboard size smile, but i don't have a guess as to where it will come from. there is a lot of good water in ab to choose from

WayneChristie
10-31-2010, 08:39 AM
any LARGE body of water, that contain oily fish,(whitefish acisco, tullibee and suckers,) could produce big pike... who knows ? i sorta do! has to be large water with oily(fatty) fish.... we know that.

you havent fished Clear Lake I take it?

WayneChristie
10-31-2010, 08:44 AM
I totally agree.. A slot limit should be in place in all our lakes for all fish. Especially lake trout, walley and pike. I don't understand why people want to keep the big spawning fish no one thinks of the future especially our govnt :angry3:!!!!!!!!! Take a picture and let them go.. We need trophy management in our lakes.

I agree with some sort of slot limit, but how do you figure only big fish are the spawners? Every fertile fish over spawning age spawns, and even a 3 or 4 pounder will have the same genes as its parents, if mamma is a 50 pound hog the 4 pounders young have exactly the same potential with good conditions, to make it up to the big size. Who do you think has the best chance of survival, eggs from a healthy fresh young pike or some mossy old snag toothed 40 pound grannie thats been fighting to survive for a lot of years? If someone decided to keep a trophy thats up to them, some people will and some will release her every time.

Paul C
10-31-2010, 10:22 AM
its dead there
You funny Fishing Frenzy !

LacLaBicheNS
10-31-2010, 10:33 AM
I agree with some sort of slot limit, but how do you figure only big fish are the spawners? Every fertile fish over spawning age spawns, and even a 3 or 4 pounder will have the same genes as its parents, if mamma is a 50 pound hog the 4 pounders young have exactly the same potential with good conditions, to make it up to the big size. Who do you think has the best chance of survival, eggs from a healthy fresh young pike or some mossy old snag toothed 40 pound grannie thats been fighting to survive for a lot of years? If someone decided to keep a trophy thats up to them, some people will and some will release her every time.

Genetics play a huge role in size of any animal/fish etc.... Just like humans. a 6'5" guy has a kid with a 6' lady- the kid is no dount going to be huge lol. On top of that, muscle mass in fish (just like humans) has a lot to do with genetics.

This is why I think we need a slot or even a zero limit for a few years. Ya a slot/zero limit would **** a lot of people off, but a true fisherman/woman would see the benifits of it and be fine with it.

A good way to kill a trophy lake is keep taking the "big ones" home with you. It removes their abilitly to pass those "big" genes on each year.

Genetics also play a role other than body size. Feeding habits are genetic too. Feeding is instinct and instinct is genetic. For exmaple if a certain 'X' pike has a instinct to always feed at night, it will have a much better chance of getting huge. Those feeding instincts get passed on genetically.

We very well could have had some genetic pike that grew to 60-75lbs, and what ever those fish genes were that allowed them to get that big would be gone if we kept/killed that breeding group of pike. Mind you, genetics are always changing therefore we can get genetics like that to develope in our fish stocks if we don't kill the big ones.

Thanks for all those who are contributing to this thread. Can't wait to wet a line.

mooseknuckle
10-31-2010, 12:12 PM
All that said, myself plan on keeping at least one HUGE pike if I ever get one say 27+ not for a meal but for a mount i found the 6-8lb the best for eating. But if I do get that big one in a lake where i can keep it i will just once all others are freed to fight another day. 

whitetail Junkie
10-31-2010, 12:23 PM

NO b.s the Alberta commercial Fishing Record for Northern Pike weighs a whopping 52 pounds and change.it was caught 20 km south of Medicine Hat at Rattlesnake Lake.

The alberta walleye record for commercial fishing comes from Mcgregor lake,it weighed over 20 pounds.aswell a 18 pounder was caught in the same net.

Fishfinder
10-31-2010, 06:42 PM
NO b.s the Alberta commercial Fishing Record for Northern Pike weighs a whopping 52 pounds and change.it was caught 20 km south of Medicine Hat at Rattlesnake Lake.

The alberta walleye record for commercial fishing comes from Mcgregor lake,it weighed over 20 pounds.aswell a 18 pounder was caught in the same net.

What...really! Do u know when these fish were caught just outta curiosity? That's awesome!

As for the original question, largest pike in Alberta, my best guess would be 50-60#s. Don't worry all, I'll find her and post a pic when I do:sHa_shakeshout:JK
Cheers n GL all:)

steve
10-31-2010, 06:53 PM
I've been fortunate enough to see and handle two 48'' pike. Both C&R.

One caught by my buddy through the ice in northern sask.

I caught the other on my fly rod, took a bunch of runs way into the backing.

Here's the one from sask
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=29181

If I were targeting big pike I wouldn't waste my time around here, I would save all that gas money too and from our square-hooked lakes. Save it for a week in northen sask at the very end of march.

Fishfinder
10-31-2010, 07:07 PM

Here's the one from sask

If I were targeting big pike I wouldn't waste my time around here, I would save all that gas money too and from our square-hooked lakes. Save it for a week in northen sask at the very end of march.

Nice pics Steve, and everyone else for that matter.
Steve my largest pike caught outta the SSR last year was similar in girth to the one in your pictures and around 46-52" was our best guess. Unfortunately we never had a net that day and she tossed the hook right at shore:sign0176:(Did manage a nice pic of her in the water though). I'll try n find it. Anyway did u weigh that pike? I'm curious to the day how big my PB pike was and figure your pic is pretty close in size. Are guess on my catch was 25-30#s.
Cheers n GL!

steve
10-31-2010, 07:10 PM
Nice pics Steve, and everyone else for that matter.
Steve my largest pike caught outta the SSR last year was similar in girth to the one in your pictures and around 46-52" was our best guess. Unfortunately we never had a net that day and she tossed the hook right at shore:sign0176:(Did manage a nice pic of her in the water though). I'll try n find it. Anyway did u weigh that pike? I'm curious to the day how big my PB pike was and figure your pic is pretty close in size. Are guess on my catch was 25-30#s.
Cheers n GL!

I believe it had a girth just over 18'' my buddy is doing a replica so we took a girth measurement and I think thats what it was.

Fishfinder
10-31-2010, 07:23 PM
I believe it had a girth just over 18'' my buddy is doing a replica so we took a girth measurement and I think thats what it was.

Groovy, so according to the calculater 18"girth, 48" length would be a whopping 40#s! I realize the calculator is just a reference and is not totally accurate though I do believe it is relatively close. Perhaps I'll test it's accuracy on different species for curiosity's sake but I don't really keep to many fish thus I don't weigh too many.
Anyways, thanx for the info!
Cheers:)

LacLaBicheNS
10-31-2010, 08:18 PM

Here's the one from sask

I wouldn't go in march. Spawn fish are skinny, even before they lay their eggs. Fall is when they are fattest in open water

steve
10-31-2010, 08:23 PM
I wouldn't go in march. Spawn fish are skinny, even before they lay their eggs. Fall is when they are fattest in open water

They don't get any fatter then prespawn and full of eggs.

Fishfinder, I don't think that fish is anywhere near 40# the calculator must be a little on the heavy side I would say.

great white whaler
10-31-2010, 08:26 PM

Nice vids maybe 18 pounds :sEm_oops2:

bloopbloob
10-31-2010, 10:46 PM
I've ice fished Sylvan for year's and caught a few hogs and Ive seen some gaints, There very well maybe a 60" in there He may have got really lucky last year.28178

:mad3:
why keep a fish like this?

great white whaler
10-31-2010, 10:56 PM

I agree pictures work great and the fish lives another day:scared0018:

go-big-or-go-home
11-01-2010, 12:11 AM
X3. nice fish tho non the less

SonnyJ
11-01-2010, 12:24 AM

It's his fish so it's non of your bussiness.

DuckBrat
11-01-2010, 01:20 AM
Did a fishery study in the Milk River Ridge Reservoir and Jensen Reservoir in 2005. We test netted weighed and released Pike over 40 pounds. Good luck.

justinO
11-01-2010, 02:38 AM
All that said, myself plan on keeping at least one HUGE pike if I ever get one say 27+ not for a meal but for a mount i found the 6-8lb the best for eating. But if I do get that big one in a lake where i can keep it i will just once all others are freed to fight another day. 

If you just take some good pictures that is all you will need for a mount I am not positive but I believe most taxidermist now do not even use the real skin from the fish any more. I'm just saying you can catch an release those trophy's and still do the mount that will look identical. Hope you catch your trophy all the best.

On a different note has anyone fished Cold Lake for pike? I have only fished it for Lake trout and I have caught some absolute slab Lake trout there best fishing of my life our record is 87 in 2 and a half days. Never been to the ocean people who have tell me it is very similar. That is one lake I wish had a slot limit that lake has incredible trophy potential. I have herd there are huge walley in there just very hard to locate. Im not sure but Might be some big Pike in there with how big and deep the lake is.

highwood
11-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Cold has trophy fish of all species if you can locate them

LacLaBicheNS
11-01-2010, 12:03 PM

Don't wreck the thread..

whitetail Junkie
11-01-2010, 12:36 PM
What...really! Do u know when these fish were caught just outta curiosity? That's awesome!

As for the original question, largest pike in Alberta, my best guess would be 50-60#s. Don't worry all, I'll find her and post a pic when I do:sHa_shakeshout:JK
Cheers n GL all:)

The pike was caught about 17 years ago and the walleye about 8 years ago,from what I remember my uncle Telling me.

My uncle was there when both fish were weighed and Measured.

Fishfinder
11-01-2010, 06:22 PM
The pike was caught about 17 years ago and the walleye about 8 years ago,from what I remember my uncle Telling me.

My uncle was there when both fish were weighed and Measured.

I see I see, that's awesome. Wish them big boys were still in rattlesnake but that was quite some time ago. Walleye in Murray however, could be some big boys in there but I would'nt know, darn lake always gets the best of me.:(
Thanx for the info!

Steve, I hear ya on the calculator thing, like stated, I reckon 25-30 is a more accurate guess. But that's all it is, a guess.

Cheers n GL all!:)

whitetail Junkie
11-01-2010, 06:52 PM
I see I see, that's awesome. Wish them big boys were still in rattlesnake but that was quite some time ago. Walleye in Murray however, could be some big boys in there but I would'nt know, darn lake always gets the best of me.:(
Thanx for the info!

Steve, I hear ya on the calculator thing, like stated, I reckon 25-30 is a more accurate guess. But that's all it is, a guess.

There are Good Walleye in Murray,you just have to Find them!!,did'nt I tell you months ago where the walleye are in that lake or was it someone else on here?

in 3 days in the spring of 2006 me and my uncle pulled 450 pounds of walleye out of murray,they were all 3 to 7 pounds!!!,and there where alot more left that we saw on his underwater cameras!!!

Deano85
11-01-2010, 06:57 PM

x2

TexasTornado
11-02-2010, 10:28 AM
x2

x3 (This is the reason why big fish are so few and far between. I saw a guy once pull up a 18-20lber down RR23 got it on the ice then proceed to stomp on the fishes head. It took every ounce of self control from me walking over and sticking the Ice Chisel in his ear. Rules are rules though and prison is prison, regs state that it is legal to keep a pike that is over 63cm in Sylvan Lake. So what can we really do about?)

Safety D
11-03-2010, 12:40 AM
ruttnbuckjack knows and the fishin geeks are the gurus. if you wanna know about big jacks i would talk to them. great pics boys !!!!!!

Fishfinder
11-03-2010, 07:21 AM
There are Good Walleye in Murray,you just have to Find them!!,did'nt I tell you months ago where the walleye are in that lake or was it someone else on here?

in 3 days in the spring of 2006 me and my uncle pulled 450 pounds of walleye out of murray,they were all 3 to 7 pounds!!!,and there where alot more left that we saw on his underwater cameras!!!

Ya, I believe u did lol. I ventured out on the yak twice but the wind was not friendly both days. Never managed any fish, just ended up cruising the lake. I will find them, just gotta put forth a decent effort which I don't think I really have...yet. Plan to hit it next once the ice arrives.
450#s - maybe that's why I can't find em:sHa_sarcasticlol:JK.
Cheers n GL!:)

Kim473
11-03-2010, 07:36 AM
x3 (This is the reason why big fish are so few and far between. I saw a guy once pull up a 18-20lber down RR23 got it on the ice then proceed to stomp on the fishes head. It took every ounce of self control from me walking over and sticking the Ice Chisel in his ear. Rules are rules though and prison is prison, regs state that it is legal to keep a pike that is over 63cm in Sylvan Lake. So what can we really do about?)

Sometimes it is a good thing to get rid of some of the very large ones. I bet a 20 pounder will eat at least 5 lbs of other fish per day. Maybe more. A 20 pounder would proby try to eat a 5 pounder in one bite. I used to have a type of pike from africa in my aquarium. It was about 6" long. Had other fish in there as well about the same size or bigger that it would not touch. I would drop 4 small feeder fish in to feed them, every day. The pike would eat them all before the others had a chance to get them. After about a week the others would get too hungry and corner the pike untill they fed. Just shows you how gready and distructive Pike really are to other fish populations.

ishootbambi
11-03-2010, 07:46 AM
when iwas young, a friend and i would go to newell every april for a 5 day trip. we caught several getting close to 30 pounds, but never broke it. we always caught at least one over 25 every year, sometimes a couple. we all know what has happened to pike populations, but id bet there are plenty of 40s swimming in alberta at the moment.......but try catching one.....

EZM
11-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Some of the lakes mentioned, undoubtedly, have a larger population of bigger pike. Most likey the next record will come out of there.

On the other hand, years ago when I lived in Calgary, we used to fish Chestemere lake (a small lake just east of the city) which is now very developed. At that time there was little (no) development North of the bridge other than the boat launch. We caught (and released) hundreds of 2-3lb pike but rarely caught anything larger.

On one summer afternoon - doing what we always do - I landed a pike just under 25lbs.

Fished it for years afterward and probably never caught anything bigger than 5 lbs or so.

Go figure ?????

My vote is on Wabamun simply becuase I have landed some big pigs out of there and it seems on a regular basis. I have a "one that got away" story with myself and my kid where I could not get it in the net (it was way way too long) and the fish was simply to tough to handle with my kid at the boat trying to help. He was scared of the thing !!!. Trying to turn it, after a few failed attempts to get it in the boat, she finaly spit the hook and swam away.

I've had a few snap and destroy 30lb braid (when I did not have my drag re-set properly like a moron). You would think after years of fishing you would automatically re-set your drag up everytime you start. yeah right.

I can tell you, without a doubt, Wabamun is a good candidate.

pikergolf
11-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Not just Newell, there are a lot of southern reservoirs with the right conditions to produce monster pike. Eventually someone is going to be at the right place with the right lure or bait and land a 40 pound plus, if not 50. The provincial record is going to fall soon.

I'm with Wayne on this one Newell, Rattlesnake, Forty mile, Chin, St. Mary's, even the bow between the forks and Strathmore. Lots of food long growing season and cold deep water in the heat of summer. Personal best is 27 out of Rattlesnake, but have heard of divers stories on Forty mile and Chin.
As noted these big fish eat a diet that is very hard to mimic, we regularly used home made plugs between 8 and 12 in. and didn't even notice a drop in smaller fish caught. If we still regularly catch the little tykes what is needed to mimic a meal for a forty pounder? I think the reason the bigger fish are usually caught ice fishing is that their metabolism is down a bit and they find the smaller dead baits acceptable. Just my thoughts.

Fishfinder
11-03-2010, 05:17 PM
I'm with Wayne on this one Newell, Rattlesnake, Forty mile, Chin, St. Mary's, even the bow between the forks and Strathmore. Lots of food long growing season and cold deep water in the heat of summer. Personal best is 27 out of Rattlesnake, but have heard of divers stories on Forty mile and Chin.
As noted these big fish eat a diet that is very hard to mimic, we regularly used home made plugs between 8 and 12 in. and didn't even notice a drop in smaller fish caught. If we still regularly catch the little tykes what is needed to mimic a meal for a forty pounder? I think the reason the bigger fish are usually caught ice fishing is that their metabolism is down a bit and they find the smaller dead baits acceptable. Just my thoughts.

I kinda like your theory, when did u land that 27#er?

And Wayne (devoted pike fisherman) curious as to your PB unless u already mentioned it and I missed it? And what lake? A,B, C, D, L, M, N, O, P, lemme guess...lake X!:)

WayneChristie
11-03-2010, 06:57 PM
I kinda like your theory, when did u land that 27#er?

And Wayne (devoted pike fisherman) curious as to your PB unless u already mentioned it and I missed it? And what lake? A,B, C, D, L, M, N, O, P, lemme guess...lake X!:)

my best so far is only 20 pounds, and I caught it at Unnamed Reservoir. Ive always wondered why they use that name on the map instead of the real one. I have had much bigger on the line , but not thru the ice so far.

Fishfinder
11-03-2010, 07:38 PM
my best so far is only 20 pounds, and I caught it at Unnamed Reservoir. Ive always wondered why they use that name on the map instead of the real one. I have had much bigger on the line , but not thru the ice so far.

Werd berd:)
Just off Highway K, take a left after the fourth chicken, and it's the second right, after the third tumbleweed, right?:sHa_shakeshout:

Cheers!:)

fish-man
11-03-2010, 08:49 PM
My vote is on Wabamun simply becuase I have landed some big pigs out of there and it seems on a regular basis. I have a "one that got away" story with myself and my kid where I could not get it in the net (it was way way too long) and the fish was simply to tough to handle with my kid at the boat trying to help. He was scared of the thing !!!. Trying to turn it, after a few failed attempts to get it in the boat, she finaly spit the hook and swam away.

I've had a few snap and destroy 30lb braid (when I did not have my drag re-set properly like a moron). You would think after years of fishing you would automatically re-set your drag up everytime you start. yeah right.

I can tell you, without a doubt, Wabamun is a good candidate.

I saw a dude get spooled with 50 lb line at the power plant inlet. It was pretty funny, I bet he set his drag too loose though because pike, even big ones, don't usually run for a long distance.

pikester
11-03-2010, 10:39 PM

I have thought many times about this & I suspect if one fished a lot of BIG baits (like 16oz Bulldawgs & various 16"-18" crankbaits) your catch rates will plummet but average size caught will be very impressive! I have wanted to spend a whole summer doing just that but first of all I need heavier gear & second I need the faith & will power to spend a whole summer fishing that way lol.

bnd112
11-04-2010, 08:07 AM
what about winefred lake? I havent fished there for about 10yrs but i remember pulling in some nice pike there

Gust
11-04-2010, 10:37 AM
seriously folks, if your favorite lake isn't crusted right now (and if it is, some ice will bust up by afternoon,, Friday is s'posed to be windy in southern Alberta, perfect bust up conditions), the big guys are hanging near shore, big white/red len thompsons are producing. Get off the Internet and go fishing NOW!!!!

whitetail Junkie
11-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Ya, I believe u did lol. I ventured out on the yak twice but the wind was not friendly both days. Never managed any fish, just ended up cruising the lake. I will find them, just gotta put forth a decent effort which I don't think I really have...yet. Plan to hit it next once the ice arrives.
450#s - maybe that's why I can't find em:sHa_sarcasticlol:JK.
Cheers n GL!:)

That was a Few years back,so who knows.another time 7 years ago,My cousin even caught one off the dam at Murray using a jig n minnow,it went 5 pounds.

Another good lake that does'nt have too many walleye but some real monster's is Tilly B resivour.Buddy caught a 10 pound eye ball through the ice there last year,and every year my uncle catches some decent size walleye through the ice useing his gill nets

Very big Pike and whitefish in tilly B aswell!!! Very Big Pike!!!!

FOTW
11-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Surely a Pike that big can't taste good. Kind of a shame to keep such large Pike. Nice fish anyways. :fighting0074::love0025:

hockey1099
11-04-2010, 08:48 PM
wow nice fish. why would you keep three that size right before the spawn? kind of sad

pikehunter1989
11-04-2010, 10:04 PM
i agree..like i said it was a guy from work and not me..i personally dont keep many fish and if i do keep a pike or two its always the average sized ones...they taste much better in my opinion

Kim473
11-06-2010, 07:34 AM
What bait did he use for those? Small dogs?

pikehunter1989
11-06-2010, 09:30 AM
not to sure what he used..ya small dogs sounds a bit right..maybe a poodle or somthing lol...but whatever they used must have been big..im guessing 10 or 12 inch herring or somthing

fish-man
11-06-2010, 11:19 AM
The 28.5 looks like she just ate a small dog. What a belly! Those are three awesome fish.

gprime27
11-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Hate to disagree. We pulled a 28 pound pike out in the middle of the summer and she swallowed the hook. It was dead. After we bonless filtted it it was freaking great.. best tasting fish of the season so far

pikehunter1989
11-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Hate to disagree. We pulled a 28 pound pike out in the middle of the summer and she swallowed the hook. It was dead. After we bonless filtted it it was freaking great.. best tasting fish of the season so far

ya it would really all depend on if the fish was healthy and what kind of lake it came from..plus middle of summer it wouldnt be full of eggs..come spring that same fish would likly be a 35 lb'er if it was a female. but in spring this one was likly a female and full of eggs.

terriblebear
11-08-2010, 10:24 AM
A British pike fisherman once wrote big pike thrive on neglect. If you kill a 20 it will never be a 30 and so on. With commercial fishing, domestic fishing and catch and kill sport fishing its hard for a pike with the right genetics to grow over 50 pounds. I think the conditions in many southern reservoirs could produce 50 maybe 60 pound fish, but that would take living for 20 years or so. A slot limit protecting fish between 28 and 50 inches might help.

whitetail Junkie
11-08-2010, 10:39 AM
A British pike fisherman once wrote big pike thrive on neglect. If you kill a 20 it will never be a 30 and so on. With commercial fishing, domestic fishing and catch and kill sport fishing its hard for a pike with the right genetics to grow over 50 pounds. I think the conditions in many southern reservoirs could produce 50 maybe 60 pound fish, but that would take living for 20 years or so. A slot limit protecting fish between 28 and 50 inches might help.

i agree with you except for the part about commercial fishing.85% of the fish caught in Alberta's commercial Fishing Nets are Whitefish.

As you know whitefish Tend to be mainly bottom feeder's and inturn eat the eggs of game fish.If some lakes were'nt commercial fished in alberta,where whitefish Run Rampant,there would be no pike and walleye because the whitefish would eat all there eggs.So according to biologist,commecial fishing these lakes that are polluted with whitefish is a must for the game fishes survival!!

WayneChristie
11-08-2010, 06:34 PM

I think pike should be topped out at 48 inches myself maybe allow the fish if its a world record at the time and you would have to register it. not just eat it.

BigBuck$
11-08-2010, 07:28 PM
There are some 40 - 45+ Pike out there, trouble is they didn't get that big by being stupid. I too have seen some monster Jacks ice fishing in Sylvan & Gull Lake. Sylvan simply has too much food for these big guys to take much interest in a smelt. You take a look around at the number of people fishing these places and if a fish that big was going to bite it would have by now. I think if you want big pike your best bet is to fish somewhere remote with zero fishing pressure.

ruttnbuckcojack
11-08-2010, 07:45 PM

Well you ever tryed pulling a herion with two trebels out of a pikes gut , thats why the fish came home otherwise it would have went back like the rest of them

Jimboy
11-08-2010, 08:48 PM

BECAUSE ITS LEGAL , AND THEY TASTE GOOD.:happy0180:

pophouseman
11-09-2010, 09:04 AM
The message boards are not here for some "high on the horse" people to judge who is taking what size of fish home. If the reg's allow it, who are you to judge. that being said 99% of the time I C&R. I Never keep pike and will only keep a walleye or big perch on a rare occasion. BUT If you have ever caught any pike over 15lbs you know they immeadiatly swallow the entire hook right into their gut. I know from personal experience that you cannot remove a 6" Spoon from a pikes belly, better to take it and enjoy it then leave it to die.........this forum is for people to post fishing experiences and PICTURES dont be jerks and make people feel like crap.....it will kill AOF!!!!!

TexasTornado
11-09-2010, 10:13 AM
The message boards are not here for some "high on the horse" people to judge who is taking what size of fish home. If the reg's allow it, who are you to judge. that being said 99% of the time I C&R. I Never keep pike and will only keep a walleye or big perch on a rare occasion. BUT If you have ever caught any pike over 15lbs you know they immeadiatly swallow the entire hook right into their gut. I know from personal experience that you cannot remove a 6" Spoon from a pikes belly, better to take it and enjoy it then leave it to die.........this forum is for people to post fishing experiences and PICTURES dont be jerks and make people feel like crap.....it will kill AOF!!!!!

Sorry pophoserman, i must correct you. I have caught multiple pike over 15lbs and have lip hooked everyone? I have never had a pike swallow a lure into its belly except in the winter when using tip-ups. If you are fishing with a rod and reel there is no excuse to gut hook a pike.

TexasTornado
11-09-2010, 10:19 AM
There are some 40 - 45+ Pike out there, trouble is they didn't get that big by being stupid. I too have seen some monster Jacks ice fishing in Sylvan & Gull Lake. Sylvan simply has too much food for these big guys to take much interest in a smelt. You take a look around at the number of people fishing these places and if a fish that big was going to bite it would have by now. I think if you want big pike your best bet is to fish somewhere remote with zero fishing pressure.

I share a simliar philosphy however i have done many fly-in trips and spent large amount of $'s only to catch average size pike. I don't think those Northern Lakes are jammed full of as many big fish as one may think, the colder water also plays a significant role in a slower growth rate. I think the large pike in Sylvan are more like scavengers than hunters. They cruise the bottom in late afternoon early evening cleaning up all the bait that has was disgarded when everyone goes home for the day.

Warren77
11-09-2010, 02:50 PM

It's a moral issue. People who keep large pike should just take measurements and let the fish go...People wonder why alberta lakes are suffering,this is a big reason why...

WayneChristie
11-09-2010, 06:06 PM
It's a moral issue. People who keep large pike should just take measurements and let the fish go...People wonder why alberta lakes are suffering,this is a big reason why...

Moral issues and personal choice are 2 different things, you might want to look that up. I am still undecided if I am ever lucky enough to get moby through the ice whether I will keep her or let her go, If I want a fake mount I could get one made without even leaving the house.

pikester
11-09-2010, 06:47 PM
Moral issues and personal choice are 2 different things, you might want to look that up. I am still undecided if I am ever lucky enough to get moby through the ice whether I will keep her or let her go, If I want a fake mount I could get one made without even leaving the house.

The debate over keeping really big fish in regards to morality issues is certainly a thought provoking one which will always be a highly volatile & personal to say the least. Most people will never get to land a 30lb+ pike so regulations permitting , it's the rare angler & the angler alone who has the complete right to decide whether the fish lives or dies. I suspect that a lot of people who look down their noses on those who keep a trophy do so mostly out of jealousy & contempt.

I have been lucky enough to land a 20lb, 21lb, & 27lb pike so far in my angling exsistance. I kept the 20lber for a mount because it was the biggest pike I had ever seen before & couldn't envision catching a bigger one ever so I got it stuffed. Since then my "bloodlust" has diminished substantially & I have released any big pike after that. My fishing buddy has yet to land a trophy pike but he insists that when he does it will get stuffed & put on his wall for sure. I have been trying to convince him to get a replica instead & just mount the fish with a couple photos along side for proof :sHa_shakeshout: In the end it will be his decision & I won't reprimand him for mounting it!

WayneChristie
11-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Im not sure how keeping a smaller pike, which would have most of its life ahead of it is any better than keeping say a 40 or bigger pike that in all likelihood will die of natural causes in a relatively short time? What if the younger pike had the genes from the bigger fish, and in the same lifespan would grow to an even larger size than its parent? Maybe the government should just drop the limit to one pike, if you are fishing to feed your family take home one that will feed them all. If you are just fishing for fun, and release everything you catch, this still gives you the opportunity to keep a trophy fish if you are that fortunate. Putting them in a catch and release category will never work, because people are going to keep pike to eat no matter what the law is. Just my long winded opinion. :test:

unclebuck
11-09-2010, 07:21 PM
I have a 32lb. pike on my wall that came from Tobin Lake 29 years ago! I also have a 12lb. walleye from the same lake, caught on the same day. A 22inch grayling from the Kakisa River hangs on the same wall. There is also a 26lb. laker from Cold Lake there too. Yes, I do enjoy taking large fish and keeping them, because they were all taken legally.

WayneChristie
11-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Love to see a pic of that pike!

Kyle
11-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Anyone ever see what a skin mount looks like after 20-30 years? If I manage to get a pike over 48" (has to be a late ice GIRTHY fish) I will have a replica done. Came very close last ice season, but wasnt quite the magical #.
Lax reproductions seems to do very good work throughout the musky/pike community and I will use them if I ever get that elusive 4 footer.

LacLaBicheNS
11-09-2010, 08:28 PM
I didn't think I would get this many replies to my question. Thanks for all those who replied to my original qustion.

I really wish it didn't turn into a arguement/disscussion/juding of others... Start your own topic and have at er..

I think if the thread didn't take this turn we would still be sharing stories of huge pike which is what I enjoyed about the thread..

Warren77
11-09-2010, 09:38 PM
29 years ago it was normal to keep those monsters. Now days, most taxidermists want the angler to take measurements instead of bringing the fish in. It's the anglers god given right to keep any fish that is legal to keep...But as more and more people take big fish out of the waters,it will only make things worse for generation to generation....It's funny how alot of people say " I remember when".....

spinerfisher
11-10-2010, 09:22 AM
I have a 32lb. pike on my wall that came from Tobin Lake 29 years ago! I also have a 12lb. walleye from the same lake, caught on the same day. A 22inch grayling from the Kakisa River hangs on the same wall. There is also a 26lb. laker from Cold Lake there too. Yes, I do enjoy taking large fish and keeping them, because they were all taken legally.

29 years ago:thinking-006: What about in the last 5 or 2 years from Tobin??? didnt think so.

nicemustang
11-10-2010, 09:37 AM
29 years ago:thinking-006: What about in the last 5 or 2 years from Tobin??? didnt think so.

What dat mean? Just last year the world record walleye through the ice was caught, plus we catch many 30 + lb pike there every winter during our annual trip.

terriblebear
11-10-2010, 11:02 AM
A biologist once told me that because the southern reservoirs lower their water level each season even though pike might have a good spawn survival of those hatched is poor. Perhaps this is why it seems the whitefish can over run these waters. Pike and whitefish have shared a predator prey relationship for thousands of years and the pike do ok across Canada. Nothing against a guy trying to make a living commercial fishing but perhaps if one or two reservoirs were closed to netting it might result in some very very big pike. Extremely high forage base low predator numbers equal huge predators, albeit in low numbers.

struik9913
11-10-2010, 12:44 PM
pulled a 31 pound and 49" pike outta my secret spot at newell last year!

joeti7
11-10-2010, 01:57 PM
I don't understand why some prople say throw it back and some people say keep it. As long as its legal, do what you want. Say that there should be a 1 meter rule is ridiculous as lakes would winter kill even worse than now, some lakes don't have the potential to grow large fish. If anyone has ever fished fork lake (SE of Lac La Biche), you know that it isn't possible, thats why the size limit is 55cm now(as opposed from 63cm a few years ago). The lake has a large quantity of fish, but the size is lacking. If you want to keep the larger trophy fish in the lakes, you still need to take fish out so that the remaining fish have enough food and oxygen for the winter. It is easy to determine this as there is commercial fishing allowed on lakes. But if someone spends time and money to go out and catches a legal fish, how is it anyones buisiness to tell them that they shouldn't keep it. It is no different than hunting, yet you never hear a fellow hunter saying you shouldn't kill a "trophy" buck because it should get its genetics out there. There needs to be a balance of nature, I think that the biologists involved in helping decide what can be kept have a little more information and knowledge of what size limits and quantities are enforced to ensure that the lake stays at a HEALTHY population for what the lake can support. Just my opinion.

lenardobc
11-11-2010, 10:26 AM
my kid brother and i over the years have pulled in lots of big pike, my personal best was 47.5" out of the bow river.released to be caught again. standing in a low irrigation runoff into the river, had way bigger ones shooting back out into the river.. right between us! kinda freaked us out and back to the shore we went. nothing like a big coldwater river pike. good times.cheers.

pickrel pat
11-11-2010, 12:42 PM
my kid brother and i over the years have pulled in lots of big pike, my personal best was 47.5" out of the bow river.released to be caught again. standing in a low irrigation runoff into the river, had way bigger ones shooting back out into the river.. right between us! kinda freaked us out and back to the shore we went. nothing like a big coldwater river pike. good times.cheers.
way bigger than 47.5" ? wow! ahhh those bow river pike!

terriblebear
11-11-2010, 11:14 PM
For the last 25 years or so the biggest pike coming out of Britain are coming out of stocked trout reservoirs. These waters ability to produce pike forage are supplemented with hatchery trout. Pike purists call these pike" Plastic fish" because under normal conditions they wouldn't reach their massive sizes. This mimics those super conditioned largemouth bass in the California reservoirs. Waters such as Badger, keho and others in southern Alberta used to produce pike 35 pounds and better. The Aberta record is 38 pounds but was only 45.5 inches long. What could a fish from those water weigh at 50 or 52 inches if they could evade the nets or anglers. For years North American waters only produced one 50 pound musky every 5 or 6 years until protective management like high the 54 inch limit on trophy waters were implemented. Now Minnesota kicks out a couple fish that big every year and Ontario produces better than half a dozen fish like that each year. I think with some enlightened fisheries management Alberta could surprise that pike fishing world. Politics unfortunately does get involved as many fisherie technician have told me.

New Hunter Okotoks
11-11-2010, 11:47 PM
I would think that there would be pike north of 50 lbs in this province. I have often wondered if those fish just eat a 2 or 3 lb whitefish every few days and that is how they evade capture.The fish, I had thought might just get into a routine and not chase irregular or unfamiliar baits that fishermen present. It could also be a case of the big ones at that 35 lb+ size break the lines that they do get mixed up with.

ishootbambi
11-12-2010, 12:21 AM
this was a few years back....how big is it?

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/ishootbambi/pike.jpg

New Hunter Okotoks
11-12-2010, 12:24 AM
I'll take a guess at 24 lbs.

WayneChristie
11-12-2010, 07:28 AM
depending on how big you are, Id say around 12 to 14

mooseknuckle
11-12-2010, 07:51 AM
24 is a bit too generous that fish is 13lbs!

ishootbambi
11-12-2010, 08:15 AM
im 6'1". the fish was 22 on the scale. maybe not the worlds most accurate scale....but a digtal scale nonetheless. she was released unharmed at the protest of nearly everyone in attendance. i burned up the last of my film on this one and promptly caught a 28 within minutes of releasing her. this was back in the good old days of late april fishing at newell, 1994. the 20's have been much harder to come by since that trip.

WayneChristie
11-12-2010, 09:25 PM
There are still lots of 20s around. and bigger, had at least 3 on my line last winter. unfortunately they didnt make it through the ice.

whitetail Junkie
11-12-2010, 09:33 PM
June 2005,Traver's resivour,little over 30 pounds,48" x 19",Let em all Go!

jts1
11-12-2010, 09:42 PM
There are still lots of 20s around. and bigger, had at least 3 on my line last winter. unfortunately they didnt make it through the ice.

Wayne you had a few 40lbs out on the ice as well if I remember correctly. Only diffrence is you drank them ones...:fighting0030:

mooseknuckle
11-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Wayne you had a few 40lbs out on the ice as well if I remember correctly. Only diffrence is you drank them ones...:fighting0030:

LOL thats good!!

terriblebear
11-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Any theories on why many of Alberta's southern reservoirs don't seem to be producing as many fish over 30 pounds anymore? Has Crawling Valley res ever produced any giant, 35 pound plus, pike? Milk river ridge, Keho, Badger and other waters have a history of giant pike but not Crawling Valley.

calgarygringo
11-13-2010, 01:22 PM
I know sometimes there are food factors etc. but also keep in mind CV is fairly new to Walleyes and Pikes. It used to be a Rainbow factory many years ago when I first came to Alberta. We used to catch them 5-10 lbs all day long and they looked like big footballs with tiny heads. They introduce the other fish later on. Keep in mind some of the big ones we have talked about coming out of Badger, Newell, Chins etc. have been around for a long time. Lots of time to grow. Some like Chin don't get a lot of pressure for it's size as well. You can catch 20 lb plus all day long at the right time of year there. I have seen several over 30 and rumour has even bigger. Newell is much the same.
Now the Badgers have been getting heavy pressure especially since about ten years ago it met the front page of a magazine of the top ten pike lakes in Canada. It got really busy after that then the fishing dropped off. Are there still big ones in these lakes. I bet they all do. You just have to spend the time and go hunt them down. Even go try a new one like PCR. Everyone jokes about a new lake and tiny Walleyes but don't leave the rod unattended or a monster or 2 that is in there will surprise you. Spend more time fishing and lookinf for the monsters and you will find them in most of your mentioned lakes and others in the south....

Krisrf
11-13-2010, 11:18 PM
I'd say that Newell is a good bet for big pike. I'd also say Gull is a decent bet as I've had one on there in its 20s that got away. The Ridge also has potential. Pigeon should have some big ones too. I look for amount of white fish to start with and then go to surface area of the lake mixed in a bit with volume. Shoreline might add a bit perhaps explaining the Ridge. Sylvan has at least one monster in there I didn't even have a chance to turn around as it ran out my line.

great white whaler
11-13-2010, 11:45 PM
this was a few years back....how big is it?

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/ishootbambi/pike.jpg

i say 12 to 14 pounds

WayneChristie
11-14-2010, 08:33 AM
Any theories on why many of Alberta's southern reservoirs don't seem to be producing as many fish over 30 pounds anymore? Has Crawling Valley res ever produced any giant, 35 pound plus, pike? Milk river ridge, Keho, Badger and other waters have a history of giant pike but not Crawling Valley.

I think the big fish are still in there, maybe they are just getting smarter with all the pressure they get. I was at the taxidermist's the other night and he told me he has a huge pike to do that came from a reservoir not even mentioned here, and there are a lot of smaller reservoirs that have some very big fish that get little pressure. I am convinced that there have to be some very very big pike in the river system too from Bassano down, they have a lot of feed and get very little pressure as well. Its all a matter of luck with a little bit of skill before someone breaks the record, and I have a feeling its going to be broken by quite a bit when it does fall.

pikergolf
11-14-2010, 11:48 AM
There are a lot of big pike in the bow between the forks and Bassano, if I was targeting fish between 15 and 20 pounds I would fish this exclusivly, but over 30? I don't know, never seen or heard of any this size. Food and cool cold water are abundant but constantly fighting current probably takes energy that could be used to grow.

terriblebear
11-15-2010, 05:23 PM
Giant pike in Bow river. Always thought that with that dense trout, sucker and rocky mountain whitefish population the Bow should be able to kick out a giant pike. I think a 40 pound fish is a possibilty. No one is seriously targeting pike and certainly not big pike. Those giants are living off 10 to 20" plus forage, who's throwing baits that big consistly. Big deadbaits drifted through deep holes might be a pattern.

WayneChristie
11-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Giant pike in Bow river. Always thought that with that dense trout, sucker and rocky mountain whitefish population the Bow should be able to kick out a giant pike. I think a 40 pound fish is a possibilty. No one is seriously targeting pike and certainly not big pike. Those giants are living off 10 to 20" plus forage, who's throwing baits that big consistly. Big deadbaits drifted through deep holes might be a pattern.

I will have to give that a shot next summer, Im fortunate to live where the river has a lot of pike. I know my brother years ago helped a guy land a 35 pounder right below the dam at Bassano.

terriblebear
11-16-2010, 08:48 PM
I would expect Glennifer reservoir to produce but have heard nothing big coming out of there. In those southern reservoirs besides whitefish what forage is available. A Biologist told me pike have poor growth rates early on, about a pound a year the first 7 years then growth is explosive. Good forage for young pike must be poor. Are shiners or other minnows present in those waters and in what numbers? Since most pike don't live more than 9 years a good part of their growth potential is wasted before they start putting on real size. Interestly even in the far north most don't make it past age 9, though pike have been aged to 26 years. There seems to be a bottle neck in growth in the southern reservoirs. If that issue can be addressed I suspect more big pike would be seen. By the way in Idaho some waters produce 30 pound fish in 6 years. Gotta love that kokanee salmon forage base.