harrydude
10-28-2010, 10:25 PM
nice fish

were were you?

Fisher_man#1
10-28-2010, 11:19 PM
nice fish

were were you?

Lake Sundance in Calgary no doubt. You got to be a part of the community or ask sundacefisher for permission. Big rainbows and tonz of stunted perch.

Cheers.

Rick.
10-28-2010, 11:33 PM
A beautiful specimen. Be proud. Rick.

mooseknuckle
10-29-2010, 12:29 AM
And it only cost a 4-500k mortgage!!
All be it placed by man, a great fish none the less!!

paul1964
10-29-2010, 06:12 AM
Wow beauty Fish. hmmm I light the smoker, way to go.

Sundancefisher
10-29-2010, 06:20 AM
Wow beauty Fish. hmmm I light the smoker, way to go.

gotta wait to catch some perch for the smoker...I put all them biguns back to catch again. A few of the unique large rainbows have been repeatedly caught by me...some maybe as many at 10 times. There is proof in catch and release adding tons of extra fun! I will look for this beauty again hopefully some day.

Sun

nicemustang
10-29-2010, 08:35 AM
Nice one. Looking forward to ice fishing!

Rockymtnx
10-29-2010, 09:00 AM
Congrats on a great rainbow!

crazyfish
10-29-2010, 09:01 AM
thats awesome , i respect your dedication to improving that fishery for yourself and others with all your hard work ! :sHa_shakeshout:
A tip of the hat to you sir !

maclennanchris
10-29-2010, 09:06 AM
wow...very nice.....what were you using to land that big boy

goose
10-29-2010, 11:47 AM
Hey Sun, pretty impressive fish there, that one is big enough to mount. Have you caught bigger in the lake there?
goose

Sundancefisher
10-29-2010, 01:12 PM
Hey Sun, pretty impressive fish there, that one is big enough to mount. Have you caught bigger in the lake there?
goose

biggest...34 inches...18 lbs.

this was on a boatman i tied.

goldscud
10-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Wow! I think I need a shovel...........or maybe just a backhoe

18lb of rainbow
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/fishmonger/18lber.jpg

Sundancefisher
10-29-2010, 03:11 PM

18lb of rainbow

Almost an identical picture. The darn fish looked like it was so fat...a heart attack was imminent... 34 inches long.

Mine was released...that one in the picture...not so much...:sad0147:

iliketrout
10-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Sundance,

Sorry to derail the thread, just curious how the perch population is doing these days? I haven't seen much on the subject lately and just wondering if you're winning the battle?

PM me or start a new thread if you want.

Sundancefisher
10-29-2010, 06:23 PM
Sundance,

Sorry to derail the thread, just curious how the perch population is doing these days? I haven't seen much on the subject lately and just wondering if you're winning the battle?

PM me or start a new thread if you want.

depends upon the definition of battle.

We have removed over 50,000 in 2 years via netting and angling. Hopefully the loons, mergansers, grebes and cormorants ate some more. I have not seen a perch by shore in a little over 1 month...but that does not mean much cause the month earlier I saw schools of thousands. I think the perch migrate to deeper water during Fall. Time will tell on our first perch ice fishing outing...sometime around Christmas day usually.

Still good news is...we are seeing anecdotal evidence of perch being harder to catch, average size closer to 8 inches and generally fewer being seen in the lake. Hopefully we will catch fewer but bigger perch this winter and show that we have made an impact to predate the perch. We will never remove them all

Cheers

Sun

fluxcore
10-29-2010, 09:26 PM
wow!!! sundance thats an incredible trout, have you had luck ice fishing for them and when can we hook up and do some fishing:happy0180:

noslack
10-30-2010, 07:42 AM
With a trout like that, I would also have a put a death grip around its tail.

Kim473
10-30-2010, 08:00 AM
Where did you catch that Beauty. Nice bow! Love the colors. 18 lbs? Is that a record?

Kim473
10-30-2010, 08:18 AM
Wow! Just looked it up 20lb 4 oz is the record.

Sundancefisher
10-30-2010, 01:14 PM
Wow! Just looked it up 20lb 4 oz is the record.

we stocked a few big ones this year. Fun to catch but I put them back. Ice fishing for trout is not near as fun sporting as summer fishing. I concentrate on perch in the winter...trout in the summer...eat the perch...release the trout.

Cheers

Sun

Kim473
10-30-2010, 02:54 PM
we stocked a few big ones this year. Fun to catch but I put them back. Ice fishing for trout is not near as fun sporting as summer fishing. I concentrate on perch in the winter...trout in the summer...eat the perch...release the trout.

Cheers

Sun

I find most trout in Alberta tast muddy anyways and the perch sometimes tast better than walleye. I sometimes scale perch and leave the skin on the fillets, has a way better taste but a lot of work. Where are these big trout? Near Calgary? Too bad im in Edmonton.

Christofficer
10-31-2010, 11:14 AM
biggest...34 inches...18 lbs.

this was on a boatman i tied.

tits or gtfo

seriously? man that is huge!!! I can get access to mckenzie lake, do they still got big fish in there too? Biggest I caught there was 24" but I haven't fished it in 10 years.

pickrel pat
10-31-2010, 01:20 PM

18lb of rainbow
gerrard?

Fishfinder
10-31-2010, 06:29 PM
30 inches

4 runs to backing

still swimming for another day...

Great catch Sun! I never realized u had big beasts like that in the lake. Just curious as to how big the lake is roughly. I think I'd be throwing em back to in hopes to catch em another day. Musta been a fun fight!:sHa_shakeshout:
Cheers n GL!

iliketrout
10-31-2010, 07:38 PM
depends upon the definition of battle.

We have removed over 50,000 in 2 years via netting and angling. Hopefully the loons, mergansers, grebes and cormorants ate some more. I have not seen a perch by shore in a little over 1 month...but that does not mean much cause the month earlier I saw schools of thousands. I think the perch migrate to deeper water during Fall. Time will tell on our first perch ice fishing outing...sometime around Christmas day usually.

Still good news is...we are seeing anecdotal evidence of perch being harder to catch, average size closer to 8 inches and generally fewer being seen in the lake. Hopefully we will catch fewer but bigger perch this winter and show that we have made an impact to predate the perch. We will never remove them all

Cheers

Sun

Well, I'm definitely interested in ice fishing them this year again. I'll be watching for the threads!

PS - great bow!

Slannesh
11-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Great fish man, must have been a heck of a fun fight :)

Not to derail the thread but man, why can't people just be happy for a guy who caught a good fish? The people who continually threadcrap this and other threads are really beginning to annoy me.

Sundancefisher
11-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Great catch Sun! I never realized u had big beasts like that in the lake. Just curious as to how big the lake is roughly. I think I'd be throwing em back to in hopes to catch em another day. Musta been a fun fight!:sHa_shakeshout:
Cheers n GL!

The park was developed by Keith Construction and opened in 1980. The lake is approximately 33 acres and the park is approximately 22 acres. On average, the lake is 22' deep and is 38 feet at its deepest point.

Sundancefisher
11-01-2010, 09:55 PM
And it only cost a 4-500k mortgage!!
All be it placed by man, a great fish none the less!!

Actually... As far as general Calgary real estate goes...Sundance, Midnapore, Mackenzie, Chaparral are not that much more than any other neighborhoods. Depending upon the deal...you can often get similar house. Living in a lake community IMHO saves wanting to have a recreational property outside of Calgary.

Homes start at $275,000 and goes up. Lots under $400,000...still lots of $$ but not any different to other non South Calgary neighborhoods.

mooseknuckle
11-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Not bad sundance! My folks just sold their "medicore" place in shawnessy for $520k. I would have thought a shack near the lake would fetch at least that much. Maybe it's time to start house hunting!

Sundancefisher
11-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Not bad sundance! My folks just sold their "medicore" place in shawnessy for $520k. I would have thought a shack near the lake would fetch at least that much. Maybe it's time to start house hunting!

There is a place in everyone's price range from what I can tell. Just makes more sense for guys that like fishing to live in a lake community.

Look up the MLS. In the past you got less house for the money in Sundance versus Shawnessy...but times have changed and deals are available and even if required 300 less square feet to me is worth a lake and fishing every day. IMHO.

Fishfinder
11-03-2010, 06:47 AM
The park was developed by Keith Construction and opened in 1980. The lake is approximately 33 acres and the park is approximately 22 acres. On average, the lake is 22' deep and is 38 feet at its deepest point.

Wholly smokes, that's quite large for a community lake. I'd love to help ya yank some pesty perch out sometime. I'll keep an eye out for your next thread looking for people to assist you in wrangling some perch. If u need volunteers, sign me up:)
Got a gazillion questions for you but will save them for another day.
Cheers n GL!:)