PDA

View Full Version : lake trout in southern alberta

TheClash
10-20-2007, 07:53 PM
hello all, i have a brother that lives in austin texas...one of his buisness associates really wants to come up here to fish for some big lake trout. just wondering where we should head here in southern alberta....waterton??? is that the best spot??......can we fish from a regular ski boat or do we need to rent something better??

catnthehat
10-21-2007, 09:56 AM
If it were me I'd wait and make your way up to these patrs, Lake Athabasca specificaly, but there may be time lines involved.
Not sure where to fish for them down south.....
Cat

One Canadian
10-21-2007, 03:58 PM
i have not fished for them myself, but i have been told that there are tons of lakers in upper Waterton lake. Deep deep deep though, but man, i have always wanted to give it a shot. check the regs and let us know if it works out.

Versatile
10-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Waterton lake right where the river from cameron falls enters the lake. Theres some BIG lake trout there.

TheClash
10-21-2007, 09:20 PM
thanks ryan, seems like we keep running into each other hahaha...how is diego?

so will a regular ski boat work to fish from?? the only reason i ask is that i have access to a boat for free.....but if it won't work then we will have to rent one i guess.

sheephunter
10-21-2007, 09:24 PM
Lake Minnewanka in Banff definitely has some huge lakers but they can be tricky to catch. My personal best is a hair over 26 pounds but there have been lots over 40 pounds taken.

TreeGuy
10-22-2007, 01:24 PM
Lake Minnewanka in Banff definitely has some huge lakers but they can be tricky to catch. My personal best is a hair over 26 pounds but there have been lots over 40 pounds taken.

X2!

Ski boat would work good for jigging and with a bit of effort, you could get set up for trolling (our preffered method). Short season and very tricky though. I've been mostly skunked in there, but had lots of action from some VERY big fish. Good luck.

Tree

PS Ghost Dam, Spray Lakes and the Upper and Lower Kananaskis Lakes also hold lakers.

Versatile
10-22-2007, 01:30 PM
On watertonlake the boats cant have a motor you can rent a paddle boat if you wish but where I described there is a shelf within casting distance where they all hang out trick is getting the lure down there.

I have even seen them in the falls.

sheephunter
10-22-2007, 01:38 PM
this is directly from Parks Canada web site.

Power Boating & Waterskiing
Power boats are restricted to Upper and Middle Waterton lakes. Boat launching ramps are available at the marina in the townsite, and at the Linnet Lake picnic site on Middle Waterton Lake. The marina also has fuel and mooring sites available.

Waterskiing is popular on Middle Waterton Lake when conditions are calm. The water is very cold, so dry suits or full wetsuits are recommended. Be aware that floating logs are common and can pose a serious hazard.

Moults
10-23-2007, 10:29 PM
It sounds like you're more interested in open water fishin, but if it's ice fishin you're doin, spray lake can be great in the winter. You'll likely catch smaller 2-3 pounders, and big ones, though relatively rare, can get BIG. I hooked into something HUGE last year and broke my hook (not the line, but the hook, which is even more painful than breaking the line).

Not sure about open water fishin there. I know it can get quite dangerous due to high winds. I probably wouldn't try it myself.

Moults

sheephunter
10-25-2007, 06:05 PM
Lots of open water fishing on Spray Moults but you are right about being careful in the wind. Not a place I'd take one looking for big fish though. Most are under a pound. I guess there is likely the odd big one in there but I've sure never seen one. Waterton and Minnewanka definitely have the big fish reputation in southern Alberta.

TheClash
10-26-2007, 06:06 PM
On watertonlake the boats cant have a motor you can rent a paddle boat if you wish but where I described there is a shelf within casting distance where they all hang out trick is getting the lure down there.

I have even seen them in the falls.

umm i have waterskied in waterton..so ya...no you can take power boats on the lake...not cameron lake though...i have seen them in the falls as well....friends and i used to dive down and try to grab them

Versatile
10-26-2007, 08:01 PM
What lake is waterton lake? I am talking about the lake that The river from Cameron falls feeds into.

goldscud
10-28-2007, 02:39 PM
TreeGuy, the fish in Upper and Lower Kananaskis lakes are NOT Lake trout. They are Bull trout. I hope you have not been taking any home.

seishooter
10-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Its tough in southern Alberta to find big lakers, I recomend heading up north. you can try Lake Minnewanka but timing there is everything. I have never had luck there after late August and find early July is usually pretty good. Spray lakes have lakers but ive never got anything big out of there. Ghost resevoir will spit out a big laker every once in blue moon but it is tough to fish and very busy once the good weather hits, and i think best fished from the ice. I havent fished down south for a few years so my info may be out dated. Good luck.

TheClash
10-29-2007, 11:03 PM
What lake is waterton lake? I am talking about the lake that The river from Cameron falls feeds into.

yup that is waterton lake and motorized boats are allowed.

Donny Bear
10-30-2007, 03:06 PM
Yes Cameron falls flows into Waterton lake just south of the town site and Motor boats are allowed on the lake. The wind can be ruthless and usually is at this time of year. As for the ski boat if you have no down riggers back troll with a floating crank above a good weight go slow and deep. At this time of year if the water turns come freeze up then you may not be fishing so deep.

TheClash
10-30-2007, 10:34 PM
it wouldn't be till next summer that my guy would be up here...just starting my research early

Donny Bear
10-31-2007, 05:12 AM
Hey who Knows Next summer I should have my 1750 Lund down here shes fully equiped down riggers 125 merc and kicker maybe I will even have the fish figured out or not. Never know what happens I was supposed to be in the waterton are 5 to 7 months sure looks like another year at this time.:D

mongo
11-14-2007, 10:39 PM
does waterton freeze over & can lakers be caught ice fishing.that could be a lot of fun.

sheephunter
11-14-2007, 11:20 PM
The Dardanelles, Knights (Lower Waterton) Lake, Waterton River and Maskinonge Lake are open year round. Upper and Middle Waterton Lakes, Crandell Lake, Cameron Lake and Creek and Akamina Lake are open May 18 to September 2. Blakiston (Pass) Creek and it's tributaries are open June 29 to September 2. All other waters are open June 29 to October 31 except the North Fork of the Belly River which is closed year round.

Tundra Monkey
11-15-2007, 09:15 AM
just wondering where is the best spot????

The NWT......:evilgrin: :evilgrin:

tm