PDA

View Full Version : Warning- Micro-chips in dogs

thumper
10-20-2007, 08:10 PM
We felt what seemed to be a hard grass seed under the skin of our new pup, and had it checked out when at the vets yesterday.

Upon close inspection - and then checking with the 'bar-code reader', the vet found that the microchip we had inserted (in the standard location on the back between the shoulders), had migrated about 12 inches down the shoulder. She'd only been 'chipped' about 4 months ago.

The wandering chip won't harm her - but if she ever was lost, no pound or vets office would ever think of checking for a chip in that location - so it's pretty much useless.

The vet apologised, and will replace the chip with a new one from another manufacturer at no cost - as soon as she can get some in. She said this is the 2nd dog she's seen this happen to since switching to this brand.

Sorry - I don't know the brand name of the 'migrating' chip - but I'd suggest that whenever you take your pup in for a vet check-up - have them scan just to make sure that the chip's where it should be!

Versatile
10-20-2007, 08:39 PM
I have talked to my vet and alot of vets around here and all have said when they scanned they scanned all over the dog checking in the most common places first. At either rate all my dogs are tattooed and collared with ID tags. I also make sure any vet in any area I hunt know my dogs.

sa-lefty
10-20-2007, 09:58 PM
ALL Microchips will migrate regardless of manufacturer.. atleast in my experience.. when we scann dogs we usually start on the back and scan the entire dog. My own dog's chip has migrated over the shoulder and back about 4"

thumper
10-20-2007, 11:08 PM
That's interesting - that all manufacturer's chips migrate. We've had the same vet for 15 years, and she was surprised, apologetic, and ****ed at the manufacturer.
I'll look into it more with her.
Thanks for the info.