PDA

View Full Version : My WR Rainbow mount (Finally)

fishinggeek
10-31-2010, 09:41 PM
Well i finally got to see my finished trout mount, only took just over a year since i caught her, and yeah there's a long story why it took so long, so hear goes.
Sept 5th 2009, headed out to dief friday night after work sept 4th for the long weekend, we had finished guiding early october and my bro and i hadn't yeat fished all year together so it was a treat. Caught 3 trout that night, a modest 8lber to start, then my 48lber a hour after, staying to celebrate our new WRecord laying in the water in front of us we landed 27lb. lol. Was a great night, being that it was my wifes birthday when i caught this beast, i called her up saying i got a big birthday present for her, lol. She loved it. Anyways this was just the start of a long journy which would end up being a nightmear for me. Registering the fish threw igfa, they didn't pass the fish till late march 2010, so we had her in a freazer till then. We had our previous WRecord mounted in california by RicksTrophyMounts and did an outstanding job so wanted them to tackle this one. Being the fish couldn't be sent threw the boarder i needed to drive to montana and ship it to them. Leaving late one evening in june, my wife and i tried getting a hotel late that evening, only to have 1 room in all of lethbridge available, smelt like an ashtray and almost vomited all night. headed early the next morning and shiped the fish for a cost of 450$. 12hrs of driving and 700$ later got back home. Early october they got the fish done and had a friend from there drive it to our lodge where the guy bird hunts every year, well he got stopped at the boarder of monchy Sask and they held the fish because he didn't have a fishing licence. Funny how they thought a replica had fish parts in it. So big mistake by them and an even bigger problem for me. I had to personally pick the fish up now, and they told me if it wasn't picked up in 30 days they were gonna have it removed, i asked what that ment and they say they'd throw it in the garbage. WOW, nice people. So now im headed to monchy saskatchewan, oh wow i love it. only 920kms from spruce grove. So i went to sleep early one saturday evening and woke up at midnight and drove 18hrs and 1840kms straight threw and brought my fish home. So hear she is. lol. And I'd do it all over again for a bigger one. lol.
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l23/fishinggeek/2010halloween002.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l23/fishinggeek/2010halloween008.jpg

steve
10-31-2010, 09:50 PM
Beautiful mount

Fishfinder
10-31-2010, 09:51 PM
WOW! Well worth the hassle for sure. Great job again on that bad boy.
Thanx for sharing! Pretty sure you'll never miss your wife's birthday EVER lol!
Cheers n GL (not that you need it:))!

great white whaler
10-31-2010, 09:52 PM
Ole smokes shes a fatty :shake2:

FOTW
11-01-2010, 12:53 AM
that is one large fish.

Geezle
11-01-2010, 06:40 AM
I know I said it before, but WOW!! :cool:

Wicked fish, and it looks like great work on the mount as well :)

SNAPFisher
11-01-2010, 07:21 AM
That is a ton of work and $$$ for that fish. All worth it IMO :)

Congrats on the WR and in getting the mount done. That is an amazing fish!

DarkAisling
11-01-2010, 08:09 AM
That mount is really incredible! It's a replica?

Just . . . WOW.

iliketrout
11-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Looks like it was worth every bit of hassle and every penny spent. Nice fish, great mount, and let's see some AB records next!

5Weight
11-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Wow is right! What a beauty. You've got my PB rainbow by a smidge. If smidges weigh 41 pounds that is... :)

Awesome fish and a great looking mount.

5W

... and sorry to hear about the mess you had to go through to get it. Not that a world record fish story needs anything further, but I guess you can look at this as the cherry on the top. Congrats again.

Rockymtnx
11-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Looks awesome. They sure did one heck of a job on it.
Congrats again.

Darren N
11-01-2010, 03:22 PM
That's basically incredible in a nutshell.

Slannesh
11-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Truly an incredible fish. Congrats again man!

bisonhunter
11-01-2010, 09:34 PM
sweet mother of pearl

Marlin07
11-01-2010, 11:37 PM
Wow! What a fish.

Chris84
11-02-2010, 06:33 AM
It looks like they did a heck of a job!! Certainly worth the wait, the dollars and the drive. Good job on an awesome fish!!

hunt_and_fish
11-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Glad to hear that it's in your hands now. The mount looks great.

fishinggeek
11-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Thanks everyone. And yes its a replica. we had one of our other 40's done with skin mounts and it looked horrible and oil started comming out of the head part, kind of a waste of a fish.
Anyways Id like to find a place close by to do the WRecord burbot. I would also like a replica done of this one. Anyone have any suggestions on whos good out there.
Thanks

DarkAisling
11-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Anyone have any suggestions on whos good out there.
Thanks

In Ontario, but very good. Would save the hassle of crossing the border.
http://www.advancedtaxidermy.com/

Also, if you were willing to take the chance on someone newer to replicas (but very talented) you might like to PM "Chuck" on the forum. His work is wonderful.
http://www.headwatersfish.com/

EDIT: I will add, that when I do have something worth getting a replica of, Chuck will be the one to do it :)

Big Schnizz
11-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks everyone. And yes its a replica. we had one of our other 40's done with skin mounts and it looked horrible and oil started comming out of the head part, kind of a waste of a fish.
Anyways Id like to find a place close by to do the WRecord burbot. I would also like a replica done of this one. Anyone have any suggestions on whos good out there.
Thanks

Congrats on that monster. The mount looks really good.

As I've never caught a world record fish, I'm curious about the process. What happens with the fish once the IGFA gets ahold of it? Do they keep it?

In your opinion what's the best way to preserve a world record fish once you catch it? Freeze it in a towel right away (I think I read that on here)?

DarkAisling
11-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Just thought about something. If it is a replica, why did you actually have to ship the fish? Would photos and good measurements not have done, or do they make a mold from it or something? What happened to the fish after the replica was made?

ryisnky
11-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Awsome fish man; looks good! You said WR Burbot; any pics of that one?

fishinggeek
11-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Just thought about something. If it is a replica, why did you actually have to ship the fish? Would photos and good measurements not have done, or do they make a mold from it or something? What happened to the fish after the replica was made?
You ship the actual fish so your replica is exact. they take a mold of the fish and pour a exact mold. The fish afterwards they do as they please with. probably throw away as it gets wrecked in the process of taking it out of the mold.
As for the previous comment for igfa. lenght and girth pics are needed. Video of weighing the fish on a certified igfa scale (on land) with a 360 degree view of the fish on the scale and off. Also alot of paperwork, sometimes very annoying. lol. 3 of our other line class fish have failed, due to taking to long( 3 months), weighting it in a boat (released after) and rod being to small (ice fishing).
So lots of loop holes and potential problems in passing a record.
Ill put a pic of the WR burbot up tonight.

EZM
11-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Great fish Sean.

That thing will look awesome over the mantle. They did a fantastic job on it.

If you look closely at your pic - you are still fighting off a big grin.

Nice.

Christofficer
11-03-2010, 03:10 PM
If I seen that swimming around in a lake I'd be scared ****less. What was the line test you caught that big boy on?

I bet you there's a bigger one swimming around in there ;)

Do you know what strain of rainbow it is?

fishinggeek
11-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Here is the burbot link on espn. http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/fishing/news/story?id=4284677
Theres also on on field and stream, or on our website fishinggeeks.net
As for what strain of rainbow it was, i dont remember off hand, im thinking they had part athabaska bow in them but not shure, but it was a triploid, probably the ones that were stocked in 2003, they released 50000 fingerlings in dief then. the trout net escapies from 2000 should all be dead by now, there pushing 12 years now.

Fishfinder
11-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Here is the burbot link on espn. http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/fishing/news/story?id=4284677
Theres also on on field and stream, or on our website fishinggeeks.net
As for what strain of rainbow it was, i dont remember off hand, im thinking they had part athabaska bow in them but not shure, but it was a triploid, probably the ones that were stocked in 2003, they released 50000 fingerlings in dief then. the trout net escapies from 2000 should all be dead by now, there pushing 12 years now.

My god man, that burb is ridiculously huge! You should be extremely proud as I am sure you are. Obviously your trout is insane as well. Which fishy are you more excited about and what's the next record you hope to shatter?
Congrads, keep up the great work!!:)

fishinggeek
11-05-2010, 10:34 AM
I love the burbot, but being the bow is almost 50lbs and beat my bros by almost 5lbs i gotta go with the rainbow. lol.
We are trying to get all the line class world records in the rainbow catigory, just need the 2,4,30lb to get them all. And also trying for the alberta rec pike. Its just a matter of time. lol. I wont really target small fish, just my thing, id rather go out and catch 1 big one than 20 smaller ones.
Go big or go home, i say.
Thanks

Chet
11-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Thanks

I just got my Tarpon replica from Advanced in Ontario and I am thrilled with it. I would look in to them. The shipping cost wasn't too bad considering the crate barely fit in the box of my truck.